Bob Cassidy

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Bob Cassidy

Postby Magic Newswire » September 21st, 2009, 3:05 pm

Bob Cassidy is my latest guest on the Magic Newswire "Spirit of Magic" podcast. Obviously we are continuing to celebrate and explore Genii's 75th Anniversary Jinx special edition. Listen Here, Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Greg Edmonds

Re: Bob Cassidy

Postby Greg Edmonds » September 21st, 2009, 6:40 pm

Dodd:

As a fellow former editor/historian and still member of the dreaded Psychic Entertainers Association (we KNOW what Jamy Ian Smith is thinking, and it isn't very nice), I've known Bob for a long time.

Thanks for a great interview, I laughed out loud a couple of times, even though I'd heard most of the stories before. Your efforts are appreciated.

Greg Edmonds
Ars Praestigium - Former REAL Professional Mentalist, whatever that means

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 22nd, 2009, 8:52 am

Thanks Greg! I had a great time chatting with Bob and look forward to doing so again as some of the other projects that he mentioned get closer to fruition! Your encouragement in what I am trying to do with these interviews is very much appreciated!

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » September 24th, 2009, 1:40 am

You might be an editor, but you can't even spell my name.

You might be an historian, but I guess you're unaware that Bob Cassidy has appeared on our stage at Monday Night Magic, New York's longest-running magic show.

And you might be a mentalist, but you surely have no idea what I'm thinking, because if you did, you'd know that not only do I count Bob Cassidy as among a small handful of the finest mentalists of our time, but I also count him as a FRIEND. I suggest you ask him what he's thinking.

You PEA guys just make it too damn easy. Y'know?

Hilarious.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 24th, 2009, 8:58 am

I am Jamy Ian Smith!

No, I am Jamy Ian Smith!

I am Jamy Ian Smith. I am Jamy Ian SmithI am Jamy Ian SmithIamJamyIamSmithIamJamyIamSmithIamJamyIamSmith
IamJamyIamSmithIamJamyIamSmithIamJamyIamSmithIamJamyIamSmith
IamJamyIamSmith

Greg Edmonds

Postby Greg Edmonds » December 12th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Jamy Ian Swiss wrote:You might be an editor, but you can't even spell my name.

You might be an historian, but I guess you're unaware that Bob Cassidy has appeared on our stage at Monday Night Magic, New York's longest-running magic show.

And you might be a mentalist, but you surely have no idea what I'm thinking, because if you did, you'd know that not only do I count Bob Cassidy as among a small handful of the finest mentalists of our time, but I also count him as a FRIEND. I suggest you ask him what he's thinking.

You PEA guys just make it too damn easy. Y'know?

Hilarious.

Jamy,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, but I've just stumbled upon your response to my original post of some few years ago. As it was apparently not obvious, the name "Smith" was employed so as not to further offend you, as you're obviously very sensitive about your role as a thought police official. By substituting a common name, such as Smith, it was my purpose to identify you without doing so directly. This is a very litigious society.

As you've identified yourself with the clever rejoinder above, I note I should have used your "real" in the original post.

My remarks, of course, have to do with your not infrequent jabs at (all) members of the Psychic Entertainers Association, specifically your questioning of our collective lack of ethics.

As a "friend" of Bob Cassidy, then, and an historian yourself, you of course know that Bob was one of the founding members of the PEA. Indeed, were it not for Mr. Cassidy, the organization wouldn't exist as it does today. It's equally apparent, then, that you question Bob's ethics while simultaneously admiring him. Mr. Cassidy never has, to my knowledge, made a "disclaimer" when performing. I do know what he thinks of such things, having heard him voice these thoughts.

Yes, I know Bob performed on Monday Night Magic's stage, and I know equally famous performers who were offended when told by you what they could and could not "claim" when conducting such performances.

I share a hatred of those who knowingly bilk unfortunate people by suggesting they possess special "powers," but when, as my friend Ed Fowler notes, an audience goes to see a qualified mentalist, it's a given that they expect to experience extraordinary things.

Then again, you are gifted. My personal favorite example of your own ethical prowess focuses upon your bold and unrehearsed use of the four letter version of the term fornicate, thus capping off what would have been an otherwise dreary week of late night magic performances by all of those other wannabe "cool magicians" on American network television. You did the profession proud, Mr. Swiss. Excluding the likes of Madonna, most performers long-ago stopped employing the F-bomb in hopes of creating "shock laughter." Lenny Bruce has left the planet.

Hilarious, indeed.

I've enjoyed some of your thoughts on the theory of magical performance, and wish you'd take your own advice in future.

Respectfully,

Greg

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 12th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Oh, as they say, snap.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 12th, 2012, 7:00 pm

[Ignoring the slow-motion argument sideshow above...]

Bob Cassidy is a terrific raconteur. This is a mighty entertaining podcast, well worth a listen.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 12th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Mr. Smith ... er, Swiss, has left the building.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » December 12th, 2012, 10:23 pm

This interview happens to be one of those that has only just been recovered from the lost archive of shows that was damaged when we were forced to transition to a new hosting provider. In case anyone missed it the first time around, and I think it is well worth more than one listen, here is my chat with Mr Cassidy: http://bit.ly/MNWCassidy

Return to “Buzz”