Geoffrey Rush likes magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tim Ellis

Geoffrey Rush likes magic

Postby Tim Ellis » July 7th, 2009, 8:49 pm

He attended our AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF MAGIC CLOSE UP GALA SHOW last night and loved it - researching a role, or just a magic fan?

http://magicunlimited.typepad.com/magic ... magic.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Geoffrey Rush likes magic

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 7th, 2009, 9:43 pm

What a sublime actor. The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, to name just one.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » July 7th, 2009, 10:14 pm

While working for a day as Geoffrey's stand-in for a small role he played in the remake of The House on Haunted Hill, I was fiddling with a deck of cards and he came over to inquire about what I was doing. I told him that I'm a magician and he asked to see something. I proceeded to perform a handful of effects for him. He was intensely interested and fascinated. By the end of the short session, a crowd had gathered around us (extras for the film).

I offered to do one more, and performed a version of the Invisible Deck for him. He was floored and absolutely wanted to know more. Extremely inquisitive, asking if there was some form of subtle psychology or suggestion involved. I gave up no secrets. I let him enjoy the mystery. He was truly interested, though. Really, really loved it.

I still have the card he signed for an Ambitious Card routine.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 7th, 2009, 11:07 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:What a sublime actor. The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, to name just one.

Agreed.

His turn in Elizabeth was (I think) Oscar worthy. Of course, his performances in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are terrific!

"We named the monkey Jack."

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 8th, 2009, 8:59 am

Rush's son loves magic. I met both of them at a Castle Brunch. Rush sat with me and we talked for almost an hour about many topics including magic. He holds Ricky Jay in very high regard. His son does a little magic but he did not state or imply that he has - except for meeting once with Jay about a potential bit for a role.

So nice, so down to earth. No pretense or arrogance at all. It was a moment I remember fondly.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 8th, 2009, 10:11 am

He was even great in one of his first, and one of my favorite, movies -- Starstruck.

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » July 8th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:He holds Ricky Jay in very high regard.

Geoffrey Rush and Ricky Jay both appeared in the movie "Mystery Men". Ricky Jay was Captain Amazing's agent and during the film he quips something like "What do you think I am a magician." Classic.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 8th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Ricky Jay was brilliant in Mystery Men. Mr. Rush, not so much. I suspect, given his other work, that it was the part. In a movie full of interesting and amusing characters, the main villain was pretty dull.

The movie would have been much better if Paul Ruben's character had been the bad guy... a tragic figure who was once a superhero, now gone bad.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 14th, 2009, 4:08 am

the spleen as the bad guy? :grin:

I like rush in just about anything.He is one of those guarenteed actors who will entertain you, even in a bad role.

( i suspect the reason he didnt shine ( gedit) in mystery men, is that he just couldnt out camp Ballerina man)

Return to “Buzz”