The Essential Dai Vernon - New at L&L Publishing

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
SteveP

The Essential Dai Vernon - New at L&L Publishing

Postby SteveP » June 10th, 2009, 4:26 pm

L&L Publishing has just released The Essential Dai Vernon. There are 2 editions, a regular edition and a deluxe edition. The details for both editions are below. There is more information at the website - http://www.llpub.com

They will also be offering a limited time pre-publication discount for the regular edition. Pre-Publication Special:2 weeks only - now till June 24 - $99.95 (will be $125.00) Mention code: "Pre-Pub" when ordering.

Dai Vernon was the most influential magician of the twentieth century. His vision helped to define and raise the artistry of close-up and platform magic to a degree unequalled by any other magician then or today. His thinking pushed magic into the modern era. His contribution to magic was essential to its refinement and growth. His own magic is perhaps the most importantindeed essentialbody of work ever produced for the art.

And now you can have The Essential Dai Vernon to guide, inspire and accelerate your progress in magic. This single, mammoth volume contains all the Vernon classics written by Lewis Ganson:

The Dai Vernon Book of Magic
Inner Secrets of Card Magic
More Inner Secrets of Card Magic
Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic
Dai Vernons Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic
Dai Vernons Tribute to Nate Leipzig
Malini and His Magic
Dai Vernons Symphony of the Rings

. . . and the remarkable, previously unpublished Vernon Scrapbook, more than 70 pages of rare photos, correspondence and memorabilia!

Almost 1100 pages of the finest magic from the most respected magician of our time. If you bought these masterworks separately, you would pay $225 or more, if you can even find them. The Essential Dai Vernon places them into your hands, in one beautiful hardcover volume with full-color dustjacket, for almost half that price.

The Essential Dai Vernon - Deluxe Edition!

Essential Vernon DeluxeAnd for those who desire the ultimate for their libraries, we have produced a deluxe edition of The Essential Dai Vernon with a tipped-in page autographed by Vernon.

This is not a reproduced signature. Dai Vernon personally signed these pages! This beautiful volume matches previous collectors editions from L&L. It is a work of artgold-foil stamped,special matching end papers, different binding than the regular edition. And it comes with its own custom slipcase. Only 300 numbered copies will be sold.

Dont hesitate or you may find yourself paying double and triple this price for a copy, if you can even get one.

Available only from L&L Publishing.

Efendi Kwok

Re: The Essential Dai Vernon - New at L&L Publishing

Postby Efendi Kwok » June 10th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Steve Pellegrino wrote:Pre-Publication Special:2 weeks only - now till June 24 - $99.95 (will be $125.00)

Are the above also true for International Order ?

Thanks.
Too much browsing, too much reading, too much learning, yet NOT MUCH practice ! *sigh*

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 11th, 2009, 8:49 am

That's great news! Now folks know where they can find "twisting the aces", "free and unilimited coinage of silver", "slap aces", "leipzig's pride" etc all at one time in one nicely printed book.

:)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

SteveP

Postby SteveP » June 11th, 2009, 9:27 am

Efendi Kwok wrote:
Steve Pellegrino wrote:Pre-Publication Special:2 weeks only - now till June 24 - $99.95 (will be $125.00)

Are the above also true for International Order ?

Thanks.

Yes, it's for anyone. However international customers will need to pay extra for shipping - either the $11.00 surface mail charge or air mail which that cost is determined by the country you're in.

L&L does provide free shipping in the USA & Canada, however if you want it sent to you faster, then there is an extra cost associated with that option.

Dave Mithaca

Postby Dave Mithaca » June 11th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Steve, could you elaborate on the "signed" by Vernon inclusion.

Thanks!

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 11th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:That's great news! Now folks know where they can find "twisting the aces", "free and unilimited coinage of silver", "slap aces", "leipzig's pride" etc all at one time in one nicely printed book.

:)

"The Art of Magic"? Oh wait...Twisting the Aces isn't in there. Whoops! ;)

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2009, 4:54 pm

L&L had Dai Vernon sign individual pages for deluxe versions of The Vernon Chronicles. I don't know how many Vernon signed, but it must have been a lot! Since the Vernon Chronicles series is long kaput, L&L has been using the signed pages (which are machine tipped between the front page and the endsheet) for various Vernon books they've been putting out.

In 1997 I asked Larry Jennings to sign pages for the deluxe editions of all three of his planned books and he did. He knew that he wouldn't be around to see the second and third books, and I asked him if it bothered him to sign the pages. He said no, exactly the opposite--he was thrilled to be able to sign them in advance so that there would be signed copies of Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy and Mr. Jennings Takes It Tough when the books finally become available.

So, Larry signed about 125 pages for each book. I plan on doing 100 deluxe editions (as I did with Jennings '67) and you have to have extras for "spoilage." In other words, pages which get damaged in binding and so on. Each of the pages he signed also mentions the book title by name.(That's why I'm locked into the title for the third book. Larry had no objection to it.)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 11th, 2009, 6:38 pm

This is just in time for The Professors birthday.

TodayJune 11is Dai Vernons 115th birthday. (Isnt this some kind of international holiday for magicians? Though I do know one guy who is going ppphh right now...)

Happy Birthday Professor!!!

Dustin
(Performed Triumph today)

Dave Mithaca

Postby Dave Mithaca » June 12th, 2009, 10:11 am

Thanks for the info about the "signings"! I'm glad some people have the foresight for things that may take a decade or more to come to fruition.

Dave<---Who just recently purchased a Joe Porper card clip with Dai Vernon's silhouette.

Jim Sisti

Postby Jim Sisti » June 12th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:L&L had Dai Vernon sign individual pages for deluxe versions of The Vernon Chronicles. I don't know how many Vernon signed, but it must have been a lot! Since the Vernon Chronicles series is long kaput, L&L has been using the signed pages (which are machine tipped between the front page and the endsheet) for various Vernon books they've been putting out.

This is not quite correct. The pages that are featured in the new Vernon compendium were originally signed by Vernon for a book project that Bruce Cervon was hoping to bring to fruition. It was to be called Dai Vernon - Just for the Love of It and was to feature previously unpublished photographs and ephemera. That project was never realized but when this new Vernon compilation was being discussed, Linda Cervon suggested that the scrapbook material that was to appear in the previously-planned limited edition book be included. Thus, the scrapbook that will now appear in The Essential Dai Vernon - and the signed tip-in sheets - were from a pet project that never saw the light of day but was very close to Bruce Cervon's heart.

So, these are not the same signed pages that appear in The Vernon Chronicles books at all and in fact, are totally different in design, etc.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2009, 4:58 pm

It's nice that the pages look different and have something to distinguish them from the Chronicles pages.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 12th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Call me old fashioned (you're old fashioned, Ed) but if I'm thinking about shelling out $125 or $300 on a book, then I'd prefer to see what it looks like as opposed to taking a gamble on an artist's impression of the final product.(For much the same reason that the succulent Big Mac shown on the menu never resembles the contents of the brown paper bag thrown at you across the counter by the teenager with the yellow teeth and bad complexion.)

I see for this book L&L have adopted the same approach as that taken for the Cervon Notebooks where, for the latter publication, I recall the actual Vol 2 was probably half the size of the weighty tome 'illustrated' on the website.

I appreciate of course that it's difficult to see what doesn't yet exist, which leads to whole different debate altogether and which has been covered in previous threads...

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Andrew, since this consists entirely of previously-released material plus the 70 (?) pages for the scrapbook, it's easy to calculate how thick it's going to be. If you already have all the editions of these books from L&L on your shelf, just line them all up and deduct about a fifth for the thickness of the covers. If I didn't already have the deluxe editions of all of these books, I would certainly buy this one.

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » June 12th, 2009, 11:27 pm

It's a wonderful idea, and since it contains some that I never got around to buying, I'll likely buy one.

But . . . I have real concerns about the readability of something that big. Will it be too heavy to hold comfortably? Will it stay open?

I buy books to read and learn from. I'm not that interested in stuff that sits on a shelf because it's too big and heavy.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » June 12th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:If I didn't already have the deluxe editions of all of these books, I would certainly buy this one.

I also have the deluxe editions, but I'm still buying this one. I ordered both the regular edition and deluxe edition yesterday.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 13th, 2009, 12:09 am

Having published some enormous books like Greater Magic, it should not be a problem as long as the binding has been reinforced.

Regarding the heft of the item, it's not easy to read any book that has so many pages.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » June 13th, 2009, 2:14 am

if you want to see one in-person to look at the quality, the Magic Apple will have a few soon
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » July 6th, 2009, 1:47 am

In stock now at H & R Magic Books! I was surprised to find the boxes with our initial order upon our return from the IBM Convention in Nashville this evening and we will be shipping copies out tomorrow. First impression: Size is more manageable than I feared. Reminds me of Hilliard's GREATER MAGIC in size and look. The scrapbook pages have much of interest for the Vernon aficionado, including a 4 page typewritten letter from Vernon in Kansas City to Charlie Miller, dated April 7th, 1932, detailing his success in locating Allen Kennedy and learning his center deal, plus lots of photos, silhouettes, etc.
http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_in ... s_id=14774

Return to “Buzz”