DANNY GANS CAUSE OF DEATH

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

DANNY GANS CAUSE OF DEATH

Postby Magic Newswire » June 10th, 2009, 11:10 am

According to a coroner's report covered by the AP, Danny Gans' death was caused by the combination of a heart condition and a drug reaction. READ MORE HERE

Terry

Re: DANNY GANS CAUSE OF DEATH

Postby Terry » June 10th, 2009, 6:51 pm

I just read an article that around 100,000 people die each year from medical screw ups.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2009, 6:02 pm

This was not a medical screw-up. He was ill with heart disease and hypertension and taking too high a dose of painkillers (extremem pain killers) for a bad back and other chronic pain. It appears to be an accidental overdose.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 11th, 2009, 6:56 pm

It wouldnt surprise me in the least if someone doesnt make Terrys argument in court. Shouldnt have Mr. Gans doctor known that his heart condition could be adversely affected by hydromorphone as noted by the coroner?

Dustin

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2009, 9:15 pm

The physician is not responsible if the patient is addicted and abuses presciption medication unless you can prove that the physician prescribed a dangerous amount of the drug. If the patient bought more than was prescribed (off the internet, for example), then there is probably no case against the doctor.

That's what the course case will be about.

Greg Phillips

Postby Greg Phillips » June 11th, 2009, 9:26 pm

As a heart patient who has had experimental surgeries done to try and correct heart and rhythm problems(BTW-a procedure invented by Magician/Thoracic Surgeon Dr. Randy Wolf!)plus similar conditions as Mr. Gans; I can only tell of the pain that I have encountered. I have been warned of the effects of the pain meds. I too try to watch weight, excercise regularly and maintain a healthy life style. I perform regularly (not as much as Danny!) but struggle with excruciating pain at times. I knowingly take the meds to control the pain and try for some semblance of normalacy. Just to get some of my life back. I wish there were other ways and have explored many. Because of the nature of the drugs (opiates especially) I am seen regularly by a pain management doctor who "counts" pills to help prevent accidents. I am only speculating, but imagine Danny would have had similar precautions and knowledge. Most health insurance programs regulate it as such. Have I ever taken an extra 1/2 pill when the pain is unbearable? Yes. Do I know what could happen? Yes, it hangs in the back of my mind always. But at times when the pain drives you and there are responsibilities on you, you may let your guard down.
Danny will be greatly missed. He was a powerful talent.
He's Funbelievable!

Terry

Postby Terry » June 12th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The physician is not responsible if the patient is addicted and abuses presciption medication unless you can prove that the physician prescribed a dangerous amount of the drug. If the patient bought more than was prescribed (off the internet, for example), then there is probably no case against the doctor.

That's what the course case will be about.

Richard,

Accusing someone of abusing medications without proof is ignorant and beneath you. There is nothing in the report that states he abused anything.

The coroner stated his existing medical conditions worked in combination with the pain prescription to cause his death.

My original post was about how doctors rely on Big Pharma to be honest about the poisons they are pushing.

Doctors are prescribing these "miracle pills" without researching them themselves. If a patient dies from an adverse reaction from a prescription, the doctor could be held liable as they should know your history and any reactions you may experience to the meds.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I didn't state that Gans was addicted, however it appears that might have been the case. Most folks find it hard to take that kind of medication and avoid addiction. As the effect of the medication decreases over time, the patient often takes more to combat the pain. And patients often do this without consulting their physicians.

He wasn't prescribed "miracle pills," just extremely high level pain killers. Neither you nor I know how much of that pain killer he was taking, and whether it was more than the amount prescribed by the doctor, and where he got the pills.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » June 12th, 2009, 9:12 pm

The Dr. was also very careful to not say he didn't have other drugs in his system. What he said was he "believed" he "wouldn't" do such a thing which is one man's opinion, not a statement of fact.

As loved as he seems to be in Vegas, that's probably the closest they'll ever come to publicly acknowleging anything. Anything else (the real truth) is just too much bad press in a city with an already tarnished image.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Dave V

Postby Dave V » June 13th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Clarification since I waited too long to edit the above:

Change "didn't have other drugs in his system" to "didn't abuse drugs."

It's not proven that he didn't abuse them, just that was the Dr's personal opinion that he didn't think Gans would do such a thing. With Gans being Wynn's Golden Boy, we'll never know for sure. The press is trying, but comments so far say "Don't ruin it for us, shut up already, let it drop, ..."

Terry

Postby Terry » June 14th, 2009, 10:44 am

Dave,

What difference does it make in your life?

What Mr. Gans did or did not do in his personal life is no one's business but his and his family. If he walked out on stage and did it in public, he should be held up to public ridicule.

What perverse pleasure does it bring to attack someone who has died and is no longer able to defend themselves? Don't kid yourself if you don't think the innuendo of drug abuse without proof isn't attacking Mr Gan's character.

Let the man rest in peace.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » June 14th, 2009, 11:36 am

It doesn't bother me one bit... other than the obsession by the press to sensationalize the story and find fault in the examiner's findings to increase their bottom line. There must be a market for such things or National Enquirer, TMZ, and all the gossip shows wouldn't be so popular. Pretty sickening, really.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2009, 12:44 pm

There is no "attacking" going on.

HenningPaul

Postby HenningPaul » June 23rd, 2009, 6:34 pm

I always loved Danny's act in Vegas. It always amazes me how people like DG, P & T, Lance and many others can sustain such high levels of energy over so many performances.

It is a tragic loss, and it doesn't surprise me that Danny had some ailments, because the show always had to go on, and he is only human like the rest of us. R.I.P.

HP

Return to “Buzz”