Tabman Magic, the book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Rick Ruhl

Tabman Magic, the book

Postby Rick Ruhl » June 5th, 2009, 10:40 am

http://www.tabmanmagic.com/
$34.95 available directly from Tabman.

Ok I'm a little biased since I've known Tabby since dinosaurs roamed the earth, but this is a great book.

What this book is:

1. A book of true magic stories.
2. A book on how to build many of Tabby's effects
3. A short history of Magic online
4. The truth about some of the magicians you only know from their performance.
5. An autobiography of Tabby.

This book will answer the questions:

What is the story behind Magic Maggie, Tabby, a brick and the Amazing Jonathan?

Did Paul Kozak and AJ really get into a knock down drag out fight on the stage?

Did someone from the Murfreesbro, TN Ring say that Max Maven was in league with the devil?

What do Tabman, Johnny Lee, flash cannons and a 30ish woman with big hair mean to the Urban Cowboy band?

And so much more.

If you want to know how to build the Tabman Table, it's there on page 132!

If you want to make your own chip stack, it's there on page 164.

Like I said, Im biased since we've been friends, but this is a totally different magic book than you've ever read.

Can't wait for the movie! LOL

Many of you have never met Tabby and only know him from his reputation and from his online posts. This book will let you know the Tabby I've known for years. He's an ethical man who pulls no punches.

Get the book!

Rick

Nicholas Carifo

Re: Tabman Magic, the book

Postby Nicholas Carifo » June 5th, 2009, 11:13 pm

"Tabman Tables" and props have always been some of the highest quality props built for magicians.

As Tabby Crabb mentions in the website linked above, all of the Tabman Tables and props are still available at the same high quality standards from TABMAN TABLES ( www.tabmantables.com ) now an affiliate of Ray Witkowski's Fur's Class Magic out of Pennsylvania, who purchased the Tabman business and rights a number of years ago.

Originally hailing from PA, I have always known Ray's quality workmanship. I always thought his buying the tabman line was a perfect fit.

I just saw them with many of the props at the Canton Battle of Magicians convention, and I understand... for anyone interested... they will have a dealers booth with many of the Tabman Tables and Props at the IBM Convention in Nashville next month.

Check them out: www.tabmantables.com

(btw... this is just an unsolicited post from a fan of the tabman tables. I'm not part of the business in any way. Just a fan. :)

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » June 6th, 2009, 11:36 am

Tabby talks about the sale to Ray in the book. That was one of the places I was mentioned. Ray seems to have kept Tabby's quality standards, which is what Tabby wanted most of all.

Maybe he'll write a book called 'Tabman Music' and he can talk about his time with the Urban Cowboy band and the Platinum Record on his wall from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack. That's a side of Tabby not many magicians know. He's one hell of a guitar picker.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 6th, 2009, 5:18 pm

I have one of the second generation wands from Ray, and it is a thing of beauty.

Ian

Tabman

Postby Tabman » June 10th, 2009, 3:29 pm

The book is available from Richard and Charlie at http://magicbookshop.com and from Amazon too.

Yes, Ray and I get along great. He makes me whatever I want from the catalog and I can't tell anything apart from what I made. He has honored my backlog of orders and been teriffic to me throughout the process.

Thanks for posting information about the book, Rick. I appreciate it. Ray will have some copies at the I.B.M. Convention as will H & R Magic Books.

Personal autographs from http://tabmanmagic.com.

-=tabman

Dave V

Postby Dave V » June 10th, 2009, 8:51 pm

I got my copy a few days ago. It's been great fun reading stories about the "good old days."
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Tabman

Postby Tabman » June 11th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Here's a link to some sample pages and the complete index.

http://www.questx.com/tabmanmagic/tabman_index_block.pdf

-=tabman

Tom Ladshaw

Postby Tom Ladshaw » June 15th, 2009, 1:12 pm

First of all, let me just say that I met Ray Witkowski for the first time in Canton, OH at the International Battle of Magicians a month or two back. His props and craftsmanship were absolutely outstanding. Tabman picked the right guy to carry on his work.

Now....RUN, don't walk, to get Tabby's book. Holy smokes! I'm a book nut....I seem to buy 'em all...particularly the biographies and autobiographies. This book is absolutely one of the most entertaining reads I've experienced in several years. I got it last Friday afternoon...and like the old cliche' goes, "I couldn't put it down."
I'd put it up there with the Eddie Fields book and the Al Baker/Roy Benson/Cardini trilogy from Todd Karr's "Miracle Factory", as well as the Willard book from Mike Caveney's "Magic Words". Yet, it's nothing like *any* of those.

The Tabman names names...he pulls no punches...and he admits he's human and has made mistakes. Mistakes!? For a magician...that may be the toughest trick of all!
Reading it, I realized our many similar interests (particularly the music biz)...and it made me sorry I didn't know Tabby during his "heyday". I've still never met him in person, though we've corresponded a few times over the years (I once even sent him instructions on how to carve hands for vent dummies). But now after reading his book, even though I don't know him well...I feel as if he's one of my oldest and best pals (in the very best sense of the word). Now THAT'S a special book.

It'd be cheap at twice the price. Get it.

Tom Ladshaw
Covington, KY

Tabman

Postby Tabman » June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Tom, you've put me in some pretty high cotton with your review. It shook me up when you put Tabman Magic it in league with the Eddie Fields book and Al Baker too. Actually, it put tears in my eyes and I really appreciate it.

Good on ya,

-=tabman

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 18th, 2009, 3:08 pm

What can I say now that everyone has said what I was going to say?
JUST BUY IT.

Stay tooned
Stay tooned.

Jim Patton
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby Jim Patton » June 19th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Tab is one of a diminishing minority.....a REAL stand-up guy!
In my experience and (I'm sure), the experience of others, his word is his bond! He is a bonafide American hero in my book; a real slice of life that one is privileged to encounter once in a life time! I am proud to call him a friend......

JP

Tabman

Postby Tabman » June 22nd, 2009, 12:48 pm

Well, I'm a little in shock reading these mighty fine messages and again I'm most appreciative of the kind words. Also, I really appreciate everyone who's ordered one; mostly old friends, thank you. I always enjoyed the magic business, even when I didn't!! ;)

And, please keep sending me pictures. I'll be putting them up on the "secret site" just to add to the lore.

I just sent the head Genii a copy to read. Genii meant a lot to me in my younger days. It was my connection with the world of West Coast Magic.

-=tabman

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » June 27th, 2009, 1:25 am

This is an excellent book. I got a copy right after I returned from my last trip to Germany. There are some amazing stories in this book.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 1st, 2009, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the good words, Bill. Ive only gotten a couple of pieces of hate mail so far but I expected to hear from a couple of the folks talked about in the book. Maybe after the IBM convention gets over???

-=tabman

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 12th, 2009, 11:14 am

The top ten wands in the Ellison Collection when it was in the possession of Dave Price in Nashville is outlined at the end of the book. Im wondering who is going to put a repro set together. I wanted to do it when I was making props but it didnt work out for me to do it. ALl the info is there for someone to take it and run.

-=tabman

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 21st, 2009, 11:14 am

Well, Im happy now. Paul Kozak just ordered a copy of Tabman MAGIC from me. I could have just as easily dedicated the book to him but I had to go back to the beginning for that.

-=tabman

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 10th, 2009, 10:37 pm

If anybody is looking for me I will be offline for a few days on the road but back by Thursday so I will be shipping books again on Friday. Thanks to everyone.

-=Tab

Return to “Buzz”