John Calvert

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
P.T.Widdle

John Calvert

Postby P.T.Widdle » May 1st, 2009, 8:33 pm

My cousin saw John Calvert perform last night in NYC and said he was amazing. Calvert is 98 years old and is scheduled to play the London Palladium for his 100th birthday. He was an actor back in the 40s and 50s before becoming a magician, but really who is this guy? Has Genii done a story on him?

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: John Calvert

Postby Joe Pecore » May 1st, 2009, 9:49 pm

He was on the cover of Genii in the October 1959 (Vol. 24, No. 2) issue ;)

I think he was cover story in Linking Ring last year.

William Rauscher wrote a book about his life: John Calvert: Magic and Adventures around the World (1987).

Here is Siegfried and Roy's tribute to him http://www.siegfriedandroy.com/biography/calvert.php
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 1st, 2009, 10:30 pm

Calvert recently did a 2+ hour lecture at Gary Darwin's magic club in Las Vegas that was broadcast live on streetofcards.tv. I THINK it is still available. (I watched it live, from 1-3 a.m. Indiana time, great lecture.)

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » May 1st, 2009, 10:30 pm

John Calvert is one of the great magicians of the world, one of the greatest of this time or any other. He has chrisma by the pound and two giant brass ones, more than any magician I've ever seen.

I saw him first when I was 13 and it was eye opening. He did the Dr. Q Hypnotic Act that used half a dozen volunteers from the audience that had them doing all sorts of things, ending with each one of them spitting a ping pong ball into a bowl. It wasn't hypnosis but strong "management."

Just hanging around John and listening to his stories is a great experience. If you can meet him, do so. It will be a highlight you'll remember.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 1st, 2009, 11:55 pm

John is on my schedule for an interview. It was to have been done last week, but he was trapped in a rain storm on the road while touring... Yep.. he drives and tours to this day! The man is a machine.

fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby fredreisz » May 2nd, 2009, 1:17 am

John Calvert has been hospitalized. Someone here probably knows the details. Keep him in your prayers. We want him to make that 100th year Paladium gig. Peace...Fred Reisz
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » May 2nd, 2009, 1:42 am

Hi all -

To answer Fred's question, John had a fall on Tuesday, April 28th, while at Ray Goulet's Magic Art Studio in Watertown, MA. He was there to get ready for a lecture later that evening.

Because he had hit his head when he fell, and because of his advanced age (97 - he'll be 98, August 5th!), as a precaution he was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for observation. I've been in contact with both Ray and John, and at this point, this is all the information John would like to give. He's a very private person when it comes to health and personal issues. He's doing well and quite alert while recovering. I've been checking in every day.

I hadn't posted any of this information yet, because John wanted to keep it under the radar. But, since Fred had heard, and asked, I thought I could share this much before the rumors began to fly. If more information comes, at John & Tammy's discretion, I will be happy to pass it along. In the meantime, let's honor John's wishes. For now, he's taking a rest - after doing over 50 shows & lectures since January!

And yes, as Fred says, keep those prayers coming. The 100th John Calvert Birthday Bash is only a couple of years away!
- DO

magicalt

Postby magicalt » May 2nd, 2009, 3:11 am

I would like to wish Mr. Calvert a seepdy recovery. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2007 when he received the Magician of year award from the IBM ring in Vegas. Usually the person receiving the award does not preform at these events but Mr. Calvert insisted and it was a great show.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » May 2nd, 2009, 10:00 am

A nice interview of John can be found here - http://www.angelfire.com/ma/sym29/jcalvert.html

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » May 2nd, 2009, 3:05 pm

Thanks everyone for all the information. I had no idea a living legend like this was still performing and lecturing. My ignorance allows me to make these "discoveries" from time to time, and it feels great.

I wish him well on his recovery.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 7th, 2009, 9:07 pm

I spoke with John's wife Tammy this evening and she asked me to let everyone know that John is doing very well and that he is anxious to get out of the hospital. He had a very minor stroke, but is in full use of his faculties and it working hard in therapy to get back on the road. Before I began the official part of my interview with Paul Daniels today, he mentioned speaking with John and said that he'd told him that he was mainly upset because it had interfered with his tour schedule. (Thats dedication to one's art!) Tammy asked that I let everyone know how much John appreciates your thoughts and prayers and to tell you that he'll be out on the road very soon. I know that we are all looking forward to that 100th birthday celebration and performance in 2011!

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » May 7th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Hey Dodd, thanks for posting Tammy's update. I also spoke with her, and was going to post as well, but you did first. And to those who were wondering, yes, I knew of the stroke when I wrote my first post last week, but Tammy had asked that the stroke not be mentioned at that time, until she knew more of what was going on. He is doing better, and so is she, emotionally.
- DO

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 7th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Hey David..

I'm just happy to know that so many of us are letting Tammy & John know that we are thinking and praying for them both. I'm sure you'll keep us updated if you hear anything before I do that they want to share.

I'm remembering John talking about driving through a major storm and being delayed.. hence needing to reschedule our phone interview. I'm thinking.. at 98?! Are you kidding me.. John makes me look like a slacker!

I can't wait to hear that he's back out on the road where I know he finds his joy.

Terry

Postby Terry » May 8th, 2009, 7:34 am

Mr. Calvert shames a lot of people who think life is over at 60, 70, etc.

Considering his excellent conditioning and will, he should respond very quickly to treatment.

Thanks for the updates.

Dave Mithaca

Postby Dave Mithaca » May 9th, 2009, 7:25 pm

My favorite Calvert story was reading how he was in his yacht during a hurricane and after being unsuccessful at trying to rope it in (or something like that), he decided to ride out the storm.

The real life John Wayne of magic!

Return to “Buzz”