Copperfield on CMA

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Copperfield on CMA

Postby magicking » April 5th, 2009, 9:06 pm

David Copperfield just produced Taylor Swift using his Elevator Illusion. The same one he use to open his show with.
Very nice but he needs to lose the cowboy hat!
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

mai-ling

Re: Copperfield on CMA

Postby mai-ling » April 6th, 2009, 1:14 am

ugh...i wish i saw that.
at least i think i did.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 6th, 2009, 1:36 am

By thanking Reba McEntire for the hat, he subliminally blamed her for it. Smart guy that David Copperfield.

Dustin

Alfred

Postby Alfred » April 6th, 2009, 7:16 am

You can see David's performance in this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPI0A8lav-4

Alfred.
Last edited by Alfred on April 6th, 2009, 7:17 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Typo

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » April 6th, 2009, 10:13 am

i am surprised that david didn't start talking
with a twang in his voice.

how did he get the title of magician of the century?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 6th, 2009, 10:52 am

What other living magician is deserving of the title Magician of the Century? I can't think of any. By any definition, David hits the mark.

I thought he looked good in the cowboy hat--it just wasn't lit properly and his eyes were in shadow because of the brim.

Those who've watched David's life performances a lot will note something very different about this one. Usually David himself is the one in the box: appearing, vanishing, getting sawed or shrunk or whatever. He rarely is standing next to the box and creating magic through posing. That's what he did here since the center of attention had to switch to Taylor Swift as soon as the elevator door opens.

Hey, it's good for magic when the most famous stage illusionist in your field does a perfect job on an awards show.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » April 6th, 2009, 10:56 am

Everyone's favourite - Tony Hassini - in fact already bestowed the title Magicians of the Century to S&R in 2000.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 6th, 2009, 11:56 am

Thought he did a great job. Came across as personable, professional, and when needed - powerful. I was also impressed with how sleek the production (small p, not big P) was. The lighting was great, there were no distractions by way of unneeded dancers or ill fitting backgrounds, the trick was well shot so the effect was clear - so, it can be done!

Maybe Gay Blackstone and the Masters people can sign up for lessons.

Brad Henderson

Terry

Postby Terry » April 6th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Hey, it's good for magic when the most famous stage illusionist in your field does a perfect job on an awards show.

The whole thing was staged perfectly.

Taylor is around 6 foot tall and the timing was on the mark.

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » April 6th, 2009, 8:55 pm

I've seen Copperfield's show a few times. I can't think of anyone else who fits the title Magician of the Century. I'd go see his show again in a heartbeat.

Garry Hayes

Postby Garry Hayes » April 7th, 2009, 2:50 am

Impressive presentation.

Which Century was Reba talking about?
Houdini was clearly the Magician of the 20th Century.
David must be the Magician of the 21st Century. But wait, how could that be determined? We are only in our ninth year of this century.

David and Doug Henning played fame tag until the mid 1980's, Doug's fame being the precursor to David. David C. clearly has gone "fame" solo since then. The true test will be, will DC be a household name 83 years after his death? Houdini achieved worldwide fame without television. He knew how to get them in the theater by drawing crowds in the street. He sacrificed and did not come from wealthy parents. Ask any six year old kid or a 90 year old person the name of the most famous magician that has ever lived. The reply will be Houdini. More books have been written about Houdini in any one decade than any current magician will have in their lifetime.

David did get his star on the Hollywood walk of fame. I hear some folks have to pay to get their Fame Stars now. may be just rumor. Click here to see who David thinks is the Magician of the 20th Century. http://www.walkoffameart.com/copperfield.htm

I will not take anything away from David. He has given magic a continuous breath of life since the 1980's. I personally salute David for that. Those of us that are magic collectors respect him for the tremendous historical magic collection that he has finacially amassed. Houdini piece milled his magic collection and wasn't too shabby of a collector either. Heck, Houdini even shared part of his fame with his brother.

Will David have a word in the Dictionary named after him. http://www3.merriam-webster.com/opendic ... rd=Houdini
How the heck did my name get in that description - Garry with 2 R's?

Glad to see the clip of the "Copperfield" on the Academy of CMA. Yee Haaw!

Garry Hayes
Nashville, TN
Last edited by Garry Hayes on April 7th, 2009, 2:55 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: wrong email address

SteveP

Postby SteveP » April 8th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Garry Hayes wrote:
I will not take anything away from David. He has given magic a continuous breath of life since the 1980's.

Garry,

Well you did take a few years away from David. He's been innovative since the 70's, not the 80's. I started working for David in 1981 and he already had 4 network specials at that time.

Over 30 years as a headliner - not too bad. Will people still be talking about David 80 years from now like they do with Houdini? Who knows. It's not a contest, but even though most people know the name Houdini, they don't know what he looked like or what he really did. He's just a name. BUT, if this was a contest, more people saw David perform in just ONE of his TV specials than saw Houdini in his entire career. But who's counting?

Good performance from David. I haven't seen him perform in a couple of years. He's looking good and well, the guy's a pro.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 9th, 2009, 12:21 am

Garry,

If I remember correctly from Copperfield's preshow film, the title Magician of the Century (or Magician of the Millennium - I think that's what it actually says) was bestowed upon him by FISM.

Brad

ChristianCagigal

Postby ChristianCagigal » April 9th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Thought he did a great job. Came across as personable, professional, and when needed - powerful. I was also impressed with how sleek the production (small p, not big P) was. The lighting was great, there were no distractions by way of unneeded dancers or ill fitting backgrounds, the trick was well shot so the effect was clear - so, it can be done!

Maybe Gay Blackstone and the Masters people can sign up for lessons.

Brad Henderson

Here, Here!!!

Well said!
Only because I consider DC the greatest have I at times been a harsh critic of him. I used to have a 6 hour EP tape of DC's earlier specials. Just about everything I understand about "how to perform magic" came from countless hours, weekends and winter/spring/summer vacations watching that tape. Sometimes all six hours of it at a time. To this day I either create stuff to work with or against what I learned from watching DC (and a couple of others.) I don't do big illusions. In fact everything I do now is probably the complete opposite of DC but even so, DC is always playing in my head reminding me of "how it's done."

I was very happy to see what looked like a grounded, accessible and humbler DC.

Really hope I can afford to see him in a couple of weeks.

Garry Hayes

Postby Garry Hayes » April 9th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Hi Steve (L&L),
Wow, time passes doesn't it? Was David's first special in 1977? That was about 3 years after I graduated High School. I have a Magic Man program that David signed while the musical was playing. You can actually read his name: DAVID COPPERFIELD. That was sometime in 1974. In 1971 (or 1973), my family took a trip to Canada. I Had just finished the 9th (or 11th) grade. I saw Doug Henning perform for Queen Elizabeth at a Amphi Theater - Ontario Place. I remembered him doing two effects. He and his female assistant walked out with two burning torches. They threw the torches up and they changed into two large silks - mid air. The second effect was the Sub Trunk. All perfomed in the round. Then Doug had his first special around 1975.

David has contributed a lot to magic, there is no question about that. That must have been some experience, working with David early in his career.

Garry Hayes
Garry Hayes
mrmagician@bellsouth.net

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » April 9th, 2009, 10:22 pm

I believe it was in '77 that my surfer buddy's girlfriend got three free tickets for us to see a magic show at The Pagoda Hotel in Honolulu. It turns out that the magician was David Copperfield and it was basically the same act presented in the first tv special.

I noted of course that he had a different style from any magicians I'd seen on tv (certainly different from Don Alan and Mark Wilson a few years earlier!): he danced very well and the magic was great!

I recall the three of us skeptics being unexpectedly impressed with his professionalism. We hadn't counted on the show being as good as it was, considering that The Pagoda was a nice but small hotel outside of Waikiki.

Reflecting on the show years later, I realized how hard he had worked to get good enough to earn that first primetime network tv spot.

- Steve Hook

Terry

Postby Terry » April 10th, 2009, 11:50 am

Per imdb.com, DC's first special was in 1978. The ABC special he performed on may have been 1977.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004518/

Doug Henning's first special being December 1977

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343191/

My dad worked for IBM and was invited to some special event in San Francisco and got to see DC perform. DC signed my dad's event badge and it is very legible.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » April 10th, 2009, 12:34 pm

you can actually find full episodes of David's specials
online. i have put some on for dad to watch.

i'm trying to find doug's right now for him to watch.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 10th, 2009, 12:47 pm

mai-ling wrote:you can actually find full episodes of David's specials
online. i have put some on for dad to watch.

From a legitimate source or by pirating it?

I'd like to buy these, if you are talking about a legitimate online way?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 10th, 2009, 1:04 pm

There are no legitimate sources for David Copperfields TV specials. Every single one that's sold is a bootleg unless it's the one DVD he did that is a clip-show.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

SteveP

Postby SteveP » April 10th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Terry wrote:Per imdb.com, DC's first special was in 1978. The ABC special he performed on may have been 1977.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004518/

Doug Henning's first special being December 1977

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343191/

Doug's first special was in 1976.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075437/

I know that off the top of my head because I was living in New York at the time and that's where I watched it. Doug had a couple of years jump on David, however he was already known previous to the TV specials because of The Magic Show.

The Magic of ABC was "technically" David's first special. He actually doesn't count it as such (he may now, but years ago he didn't). After that special he thought his career was over. Not long after that he was picked up by Joe Cates (actress Phoebe Cates' father) and that's when The Magic of David Copperfield specials started.

I don't know if all of his specials will ever make to official DVD because he may not own the early specials. The Cates Brothers were the producers and they owned those until David started producing them himself. Some of the early specials would be re-run from time to time. I know the Statue special was and David didn't make any money on the re-runs.

The DVD he has out now, which I think was his 15th special - asort of best of retrospect, had clips from specials he produced, but really nothing from the earlier Cates produced specials.

thecardman

Postby thecardman » April 10th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Steve Pellegrino wrote:Doug's first special was in 1976.

Hate to sound big-headed, but IMDB's wrong - Henning's first special was December 1975.

Best wishes

Peter (self-confessed Henning and Copperfield geek - there, I said it!)
:)

SteveP

Postby SteveP » April 10th, 2009, 6:11 pm

I wouldn't doubt IMDB is not correct. I just knew it was before 1977.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 11th, 2009, 12:05 am

Henning's 1st special was Dec 26, 1975, hosted by Bill Cosby, also starring Julie Newmar, Orson Welles, Shimada, and Lori Lieberman. He had been on Captain Kangaroo a week before (Dec 19), and on Dick Cavett earlier in the year, and on a Dick Cavett special (with Dai Vernon) in 1974. He was on a Andy Williams Vaudeville special in 1974, as well.

Copperfield was on "The Magic of ABC", which introduced the new fall lineup of TV shows, on Sep 7 1977.

Nicholas Carifo

Postby Nicholas Carifo » April 11th, 2009, 2:53 am

=Steve Pellegrino

The Magic of ABC was "technically" David's first special. He actually doesn't count it as such (he may now, but years ago he didn't).

The Magic of ABC, is popularly considered Copperfield's first Special.. However, there is an earlier special that can "arguably" be considered David's first national television special...

It was titled "MAGIC FROM THE ROXY" from 1975. It has been mostly forgotton over the years but those of us from Pittsburgh know it as it was filmed in Pittsburgh... having been produced and directed by George Romero, of "Night of the Living Dead" fame.

Although the special was not dedicated solely to David Copperfield, David was definitely presented as the up and coming star in magic from the hit show "The Magic Man", and he performed multiple sets throughout the show showcasing his most famous full-staged illusions. Since his name was not recognizable at the time, the billed "Star" of the show was Carl Ballantine. It also featured Shimada, Amazing Randi, and Richard Ross and was hosted by Peter Graves.. who, probably not coincidently later hosted one of the early "Magic of David Copperfield" specials.

Two things of interesting note:

1 - Magic From the Roxy, tho filmed in Pittsburgh was not filmed at a theatre called The Roxy. It was filmed in a theatre that I am told was called "The Roxy" for the purpose of this special only. It was actually a long-closed vaudeville house not far from Pittsburgh's Kennywood Park.

2 - Also... many magicians have a book with many pictures taken of the acts on the set of this television show, but I don't believe the show is credited or alluded to in the book. If you have the photo book from the late 70's/Early 80's by Hyla Clark titled "The World's Greatest Magic" with Henning on the cover, among others, the photos of David Copperfield and some others were taken on the set of "Magic from the Roxy".

SteveP

Postby SteveP » April 11th, 2009, 9:00 am

Nicholas Carifo wrote:
=Steve Pellegrino

The Magic of ABC was "technically" David's first special. He actually doesn't count it as such (he may now, but years ago he didn't).

The Magic of ABC, is popularly considered Copperfield's first Special..

Two things of interesting note:

1 - Magic From the Roxy, tho filmed in Pittsburgh was not filmed at a theatre called The Roxy. It was filmed in a theatre that I am told was called "The Roxy" for the purpose of this special only. It was actually a long-closed vaudeville house not far from Pittsburgh's Kennywood Park.

2 - Also... many magicians have a book with many pictures taken of the acts on the set of this television show, but I don't believe the show is credited or alluded to in the book. If you have the photo book from the late 70's/Early 80's by Hyla Clark titled "The World's Greatest Magic" with Henning on the cover, among others, the photos of David Copperfield and some others were taken on the set of "Magic from the Roxy".

Among Copperfield fans, they may consider it to be his first special, but my point, quoted above, is that he didn't and he felt it was so bad that he thought he would never get another shot on TV again. I think the way David felt about this show is the same way he felt about Terror Train.

A third interesting thing of note regarding the Roxy show is that none of the props David used were his. They were all from The Magic Man show.

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » April 11th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Does anyone consider the Country Music Awards to be his latest television special?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 11th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Nicholas Carifo wrote: It was titled "MAGIC FROM THE ROXY" from 1975. It has been mostly forgotton over the years but those of us from Pittsburgh know it as it was filmed in Pittsburgh... having been produced and directed by George Romero, of "Night of the Living Dead" fame.

Although the special was not dedicated solely to David Copperfield, David was definitely presented as the up and coming star in magic from the hit show "The Magic Man", and he performed multiple sets throughout the show showcasing his most famous full-staged illusions. Since his name was not recognizable at the time, the billed "Star" of the show was Carl Ballantine. It also featured Shimada, Amazing Randi, and Richard Ross and was hosted by Peter Graves.. who, probably not coincidently later hosted one of the early "Magic of David Copperfield" specials.

"Magic at the Roxy" was May 26, 1976 (or later, depending on the market). Hosted by Peter Graves. Shimada, Randi, Dorian, Carl Ballantine, David Copperfield, Richard Ross.

Terry

Postby Terry » April 11th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:"Magic at the Roxy" was May 26, 1976 (or later, depending on the market). Hosted by Peter Graves. Shimada, Randi, Dorian, Carl Ballantine, David Copperfield, Richard Ross.

I remember that special. It was really good. Copperfield did the Backstage illusion and it became the opening illusion the first time he played Jacksonville, FL.

It also was one of the last times Randi performed the milk can as advertised he would. It became a running joke on what illness/ailment would keep him from doing it and who would have to step in to replace him.

Jack Greenberg

Postby Jack Greenberg » April 11th, 2009, 10:38 pm

It was great to attend the taping of that show, which was the final event ever held at the old Palace Theater in Homestead, PA. The show was produced as a speculative property by the Pittsburgh Ad Club, which was not very successful in the subsequent marketing of the taped product.

I sat with my son, Don, and C.L. Schmitt, who was Past International President of the I.B.M. Also sitting in our row were a few celebrity athletes, including Mean Joe Greene of the Pittsburgh Steelers. During the show, the athletes were brought to the stage to inspect some of the props used. Directly in front of us sat David Copperfields parents, who seemed to particularly enjoy the show. The entire cast had rehearsed at the theater for the entire week preceding the taping.

The show was shot pretty much straight through, with very few stops required for adjustments, cleanup, resets, etc. And it all was very well managed by the production staff. One interesting glitch did occur when young David Copperfield became entangled in the leashes that less than successfully restrained two huge white furry dogs that he produced. David tripped, and was dragged to the stage, laughing all the way. I cant remember whether that part of the scene was re-shot for the commercial tape.

Personally, I was impressed by the entire show, including the restored proscenium of a charming Vaudeville stage, replete with raised footlights. Ballantine was hilarious, Richard Ross was smooth as silk with his rings, and Shimada killed with dove productions that were uncommon at that time. Every performer proved to be worthy of having his act recorded for posterity.
Jack

Nicholas Carifo

Postby Nicholas Carifo » April 12th, 2009, 3:16 am

Steve Pellegrino wrote:

Among Copperfield fans, they may consider it (the magic of abc) to be his first special, but my point... ...is that he didn't and he felt it was so bad that he thought he would never get another shot on TV again. I think the way David felt about this show is the same way he felt about Terror Train.

Hi Steve, Sorry for the miscommunication, I fully understood your point, and never did know David Copperfield was not happy with the magic of abc special. I only quoted it to bring up the mostly forgotton special that highlighted David on a national level when he was an unknown.

Also interesting to me to hear that ROXY aired in 1976, I was under the impression it was 1975.. I wonder if it may have been shot in 75 and aired the next year? No idea. Jack Greenberg would know of what he speaks. Jack do you recall the year it actually filmed?

Steve, It's interesting to hear David was not at all happy with The Magic of ABC. I did not know that.

These were all admittedly before my time, but Ive seen them long ago on very early video tape. I always just accepted something like Magic of ABC to be what it was, just a quirky, tongue in cheek way to present the new fall line up for ABC in the 70's. I thought it was cute. Thankfully, it didn't keep David from continuing on American Television.

Jack Greenberg

Postby Jack Greenberg » April 12th, 2009, 8:54 am

Not surprised to hear you question the actual taping date for "Magic at the Roxy," Nick. I, too, thought that I remembered the actual taping date as being October 9, 1975. And I later thought that I might be in error when I saw all of the internet inferences that 1976 was the year of the shooting date. My memory (still possibly erroneous) is that we held a family dinner on my father's birthday on October 9, 1975. That date later turned out to be Dad's final birthday. My son and I rushed out early from the dinner to attend the "Roxy" show, as there would be no late admission to the theater for that show.

I suspect that I'm not dreaming here, but I'm still a bit reluctant to claim all of this as absolute truth. Might those dates in May, 1976 be broadcast dates?

Best,
Jack
Jack

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 12th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Jack Greenberg wrote: Might those dates in May, 1976 be broadcast dates?

Yes. I went through ProQuest's and Newspaperarchive's online searchable databases of newspapers, and the May 1976 date was the first date I found it listed in TV schedule. I also found it later, over the next couple of weeks, in various cities.

I have no idea when it was recorded.

SteveP

Postby SteveP » April 12th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Nicholas Carifo wrote:Steve, It's interesting to hear David was not at all happy with The Magic of ABC. I did not know that.

I don't know all the circumstances behind that special, all I know is what David told me and his feelings about it.

I would imagine that he had very little control over the production of the show. Even in the early CBS shows, he didn't have ultimate control. It wasn't his money producing it, so he was at the mercy of others. Over the years I've watched those specials and saw minor mistakes that were never re-shot. David is a perfectionist, so if the choice (and money) were his, he would have done it over.

David's a smart guy and he saw that producing the shows himself was the best situation - not only financially, but creatively. It was a larger risk in the beginning, but obviously it paid off for him.

Return to “Buzz”