CNN Article on David Shimshi

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dave Mithaca

Re: CNN Article on David Shimshi

Postby Dave Mithaca » March 5th, 2009, 1:05 pm

The idea that Shimshi isn't out looking for welfare, but rather is trying his best to make the best of a bad situation speaks volumes about his character.

Terry

Postby Terry » March 5th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I know quite a few pros who don't depend on the "low hanging fruit" as you somewhat snidely referred to it, and who have had their business dry up.

Richard,

I've seen this "fruit" reference quite a bit in material related to sales.

I don't think he was being snide, just making a point that magic jobs are not as plentiful and people will have to adjust their business plans in order to increase their bookings.

I do agree with Marsh in that it has been proven during hard times people will seek out entertainment. While not everyone's idea of entertainment, we held a local pro wrestling show Sunday and it sold very well considering it was a new promotion. Tickets were $10 adult and $5 kids 5-11 years old.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 5th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Steve Cohens operation is unique and is not something useful as a comparison to most working professionals.

Cohen has a large amount of momentum going for him as he has been in this particular gig for years. His mailing list must be fantastic.

His marketing has certainly been refined to a razors edge. He knows where and how to advertisewhat works and what doesnt. Id love to know his cost of sale for each ticket. Its probably lower than any show in Vegas.

While his show isnt necessarily recession proof, he does not carry a large staff, has no animals to feed, and is in one of the most prestigious venues in the world at what must be a reasonable cost per show. His break-even point must be quite low. His work has a high degree of perceived value and he delivers more than enough entertainment to create substantial word of mouth.

The point being, Steves situation is far different than a pro doing casual, one-off shows in a variety of different venues for different people. Im happy to know hes doing well.

Postby 000 » March 6th, 2009, 8:21 am

Steve Cohen is THE man.
Wonder how magicworlds only 'franchise' performer is doing?
Im referring to Silly Billy whom I was amazed to read once, has many other ( 10?) Silly Billies performing on his behalf.

Return to “Buzz”