Nathan Coe Marsh at New Port Richey Theater

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Adrian Kuiper

Nathan Coe Marsh at New Port Richey Theater

Postby Adrian Kuiper » January 8th, 2009, 5:50 pm

I had the pleasure yesterday of seeing Nathan Coe Marsh, a fellow Genii Forum member, in performance at the Suncoast Theater theater in New Port Richey Florida. The theater itself is quite oldbuilt probably in the 20s, but beautifully restored and maintained.

I recall he opened with a Billiard Ball manipulative routine which was very well received. There were very audible gasps as the ball appeared on his out-stretched hand. Very nicely done.

He did a nice mindreading bit using a large deck of cards and got some laughs out of his effort in duct taping his eyes shut. I think there could have been one more laugh in this routine.

Did a nice version of coin in the bottle with the spectator holding the bottle.

Must say here that he used of lot of folks from the audience which worked very well.

I had read some of the Forum notes on his Apples and Oranges performance. I didnt read those notes (until today) and I was looking forward to seeing the routine. I wont describe the routine here, but will say only I thought it was impressive. The audience and I were fooled and more importantly entertained!! Great job. Someday maybe Ill figure it out.

His presentation of the Egg Bag, one of my favorite effects, was beautiful. Standard moves with the bag and very well done. Audience reaction was great.

There could have been more bits, but if I recall correctly, he closed with the bill in the lemon. Very nice job with it.

If you get a chance, see Nathan Coe Marsh..youll enjoy the show.

Adrian

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Nathan Coe Marsh at New Port Richey Theater

Postby NCMarsh » January 9th, 2009, 10:18 am

Adrian,

Many thanks for coming out to support the show, and for offering your kind words.

You might enjoy knowing that the version of the Billiards you saw is one that had never been seen before and will never be seen again.

While loading for the show backstage I managed to leave one of the balls on a dressing-room table. When it came time that I needed it in the routine, it suddenly wasn't there.

I knew I had a crescendo in a few bars, and so I improvised something that felt like a climax to coincide with that crescendo...froze in an applause position, and cued the sound guy to bring the music down (i was extremely fortunate that he was attentive and on the ball...watching the tape the way the sound comes down right after the crescendo looks like it is what was supposed to happen, and I don't think it looked like something had gone wrong...but the climax was weaker than the ordinary ending of the routine, and that certainly annoyed me)

Thanks again for coming out and for sharing your thoughts!

All the Best,

N.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Nathan Coe Marsh at New Port Richey Theater

Postby NCMarsh » February 3rd, 2009, 12:40 pm

I wanted to give a quick update for those in the area that the next show will be tomorrow ( full details are at http://illusionartistry.com/rst.html ).

The show got a brief, positive, review in the entertainment column of the St. Pete Times; and there are two excerpts from the last RST show available on YouTube:

The Bag of Secrets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq2ChVVb_s4

The S & M Card Trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paWC_PWVHMI

(for the most enjoyable viewing experience, please click "watch in high quality")

If you're in the area, I would love to see you there

All the Best,

Nathan

Return to “Buzz”