David Blaine - Death Dealer

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Re: David Blaine - Death Dealer

Postby Magic Newswire » September 24th, 2008, 10:53 am

Richard Kaufman wrote: No one has commented on this, but note the timing of the stunt and show on ABC: if Criss Angel Believe had been on its original schedule, Blaine would be stealing all of his airtime and publicity right now.

Good point Richard... In that I have rarely watched Criss, I never noticed.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 24th, 2008, 10:55 am

I should be talking to David Shortly and I'll see if he wants to comment on the breaks.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 24th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Because the President has announced a live speech at 9 PM, the Blaine special will air at 9:15 EST & CST. It will still air at 9PM on the west coast.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 24th, 2008, 4:50 pm

With only hours to go before David Blaine's "Dive of Death" is set to air on ABC, David took time to speak with us by phone. David talked about the medical breaks that many have referred to as cheating, his medical condition, readiness for the final stunt and what moment is his favorite in the broadcast. You canLISTEN ONLINE or, if you subscribe to the show in iTunes, just update and it will download directly to your iPod.

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » September 24th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Blaine is very devious. He's not setting a record for the most time hanging upside down. He's going for the more elusive record of number of tinkles per day in Central Park. The record is still currently held by a homeless guy from the Koch/Dinkens era.
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » September 24th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I don't know why, but everywhere in the country, the David Blaine special is 2 hours long. Here in Seattle, it is listed as only 1 hour, with a rerun of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy following at 10pm.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 24th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Impressive... he gets an intro by ...
Gonna be tough for CA to beat that one on his next TV special.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » September 24th, 2008, 11:18 pm

a dive, then vanish.. poof

Terry_Holley

Postby Terry_Holley » September 24th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Huh?

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » September 24th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Another big disappointment from an overhyped stunt.
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » September 24th, 2008, 11:32 pm

he was 48 feet up
he jumped off with a cable attached to 44 feet
the cable lifted him higher and higher (above the lights) and he 'vanished into the night sky'.

Poof

skeptic555

Postby skeptic555 » September 24th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Wow. That didn't go over well.

AT ALL.

Dead silence, and then did I hear the start of booing?

I missed the conclusion of the bullet catch due to DVR funkiness with the Prez...but the cynic in me suggests if they would have used one of the apparently hundreds of dentally challenged spectators from earlier in the show, Kalush would have had a larger target to fire at...

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » September 24th, 2008, 11:58 pm

They weren't Boooooing, they were chanting Kalooooooosh!

I liked the whole special except for the end. ABC probably wouldn't let him take a bullet live, so he had to come up with some alternative ending. Wow, that sucked...

I was thinking that he was going to attempt some "dive" into 6 inches of water...or something like that. There is some guy going around breaking his own record with this style stunt.

The Tornado of Fudge had a better ending.

Did Bill Kalush get a little tuck?

I really wanted some more of the midget trike in traffic, crap.

The cell phones all arranged in a circle, then having a coin spin like mad was from a bunch of You-Tube Urban Myths. There would be six cell phones set up to all call each other, and had pop corn kernels between them...the corn started popping. This was a great bit, because you really want to believe that the radiowaves from the cell phones just may have the ability to pop corn, not too sure if a spinning coin is as powerful, but did look good.

Are you sure Bill didn't get a little tuck?

Pepka

Postby Pepka » September 25th, 2008, 12:44 am

The ending had to be a flub. I don't think we were supposed to see the wire. I didn't see it at first til it cut to a side view. The announcer said he disappeared into the atmosphere. I'm sure he was promped on that one. The bullet catch certainly looked good, although he said it was an illusion. Unlike his consultant Carl Skenes. I don't believe Kalush pulled the trigger! I think this is some of the best magic he's done on TV. The X and quarter matrix looked great, as did Garcia's Fraud.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » September 25th, 2008, 12:50 am

well we know Mr Blaine visited a magic shop somewhere recently:
RIsing Card Deck
Magic Doodle Pen
Prohibition
Extreme Burn
Loops

need I go on. At least he is supporting a magic shop (or website) somewhere!
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Rene Clement

Postby Rene Clement » September 25th, 2008, 8:48 am

Blaine's dive up to the balloons last night was a big confusion to those watching both at home and in the Wollman Rink.

The live crowd sounded quite different than that portrayed on TV.

Watch here some video filmed independently from the crowd to see how the crowd saw it and really reacted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRi4QAcJWI

Interesting that ABC TV this morning only talked about Blaine catching the bullet in his mouth.

-Rene

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 9:44 am

As far as the effects in the show, keep in mind the names of some of his consultants and see if that shows why some of the effects were used.. then decide if they were strong magic or not.. In my mind, this was David's best "Magic" special in some time... I never focus much on the stunts.

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » September 25th, 2008, 10:24 am

I was switching back and forth between Blaine and re-runs of "Cops", but I did get to see the "Dive of Death".

More correctly "The Bungi-Jump of Death".

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 10:24 am

I know that the balloons were already mentioned here ... and it leads me to believe even more strongly that the timing of the effect was off. This is a digital still caught in the strobe of a camera during an amateur video. The real trick now seems to be, how does David get down?

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » September 25th, 2008, 10:27 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:No one has commented on this, but note the timing of the stunt and show on ABC: if Criss Angel Believe had been on its original schedule, Blaine would be stealing all of his airtime and publicity right now.

Angel still got his ass served! His new episodes of the season (and a bunch of reruns) were airing at the same time of David's show!

If it wasn't for that bad ending of David's show, I think that the show would have been great. Also...come up with a better stunt. That one is just, well, dull.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 25th, 2008, 11:14 am

Overall, I thought the show was very good. David has grown enormously as a performer and personality--people love the guy, and the tricks they picked this time were all good to excellent and he did them well. And he did a lot of magic--you didn't see him do every trick repeatedly. The producers figured out that you only need to show the end reaction of the spectators a few times, not the whole trick again and again.

I was confused by what happened at the end while watching on TV. He just seemed to suddenly float upward, tethered to ... something. And then the cameras cut away and that was it, credits rolling. You could see from his face that he was puffy from hanging upside down (breaks or not), so he wasn't capable of doing anything strenuous. In a way, I think the methodology they used was quite clever if the presentation hadn't seemed confused or rushed. The flare of that strobe light which caught the balloons was something that you would imagine they might have forseen. But it was also unfortunate--no magician should take delight in seeing one of the big stars in our field get busted. But the balloons were being guided, perhaps tethered.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » September 25th, 2008, 11:34 am

Seeing that they titled the special Death Dive - what a damp squib. Jumping off a ledge with a cable attached and balloons being visible ... wow - very mystifying. How do you not factor in camera flashes into the equation ?

Interestingly, the stunt made Sky News in the UK - for all the wrong reasons ... presenters were commenting on just how disappointing the stunt was, the whole issue of these rest breaks which negated the entire 'challenge' & that DB needs to return with something far more daring otherwise he'll fade into irrelevance. General sense of disappointment all round it appears with the stunt.

But then some may say all publicity is good publicity ;-)

The comments from the earlier posted Youtube clip are priceless:

"That was stupid"
"He's a fraud"
"Everyone's p*ssed - bring him back - he didn't do anything"

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 25th, 2008, 11:56 am

The choice to emphasize in the title of the special something that wasn't ever going to happen seems odd--that's an obviously bad idea. Yes, it creates surprise, but you don't promise folks something for weeks, repeat the title DIVE OF DEATH 30 times during the show, and then not have a dive of death.

It's a shame if that's all people take away form the show because the rest of it was good.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » September 25th, 2008, 12:18 pm

I've only seen the video segments of the actual 'dive' - looking forward to seeing the actual 'magic special' which I'm sure will be available soon ...

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » September 25th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Magic Newswire wrote:The longest are the times when he urinates and they change the catheter/bag etc. As announced yesterday, the stunt crew set up a rig to allow people to try it for themselves.

No thanks.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » September 25th, 2008, 12:48 pm

I like the way Blaine's personality has opened up over the years. He was so much more relaxed in this special than in the early ones, especially in the way he let himself enjoy the reactions of his spectators for his close-up work.

For me, the close-up magic made the show worthwhile, though I have to admit watching tv with commercials again for the first time in ages is sure annoying. Cable and dvds have spoiled me rotten in that regard.

I figured something(s) went wrong with the blow-off, but I didn't let that ruin the magic for me.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » September 25th, 2008, 12:49 pm

BLAINE FOOTNOTE

One of the irresistible allures of this Forum is the immediacy and impulsiveness of the comments that can be aired soon after a newsworthy event has occurred. So, the Dive of Death ended, credits rolled, and ten eye-blinks later the subsequent twittering began. This nevertheless has the sensate currency of after-show conversations overheard as one files out of a theater: loose talk more driven by emotions than intellection. This of course is what gives it its reckless, interesting flavor. Don't misunderstand. Im not griping here or dissing the unprocessed process. I love it. Besides, if anything, Im perhaps re-stating the Obvious. Don't we find ourselves smack dab in a post-modern, media-driven, media-soaked worlda hyperreal matrix of sounds and images that are spectacularly produced, edited, hyped, and packaged through forms that mediate and filter the Real World?

So...

As I sat in the real world of my living room last night, eating a real-world sandwich, clutching a real-world remote controller (clicker), I watched a screen (the consensual-hallucination box called cable television). I channel surfed. I incredulously watched the real-world Dive of Debt as the Prez said his piece--a "piece" to be tossed among a gazillion other puzzle-pieces of the impending Bail Out. I intermittently watched David Blaine in real-time and on film/video do what he does better than anyone else. I was also intermiitently pleased and impressed.

However...

What we magicians talk about regarding Blaine or his television specials reveals lots of our tells and prejudices and shortcomings. Blaine holds up a fun-house mirror to US

Yet...

Im eager to read more tumbling-off-the-tip-of-tongues "loose talk" regarding the nature of the Blaine Phenomenon and how it really relates to other emulators and epigones brave enough to play in this field of the lords.

Side-bar:

When I first met Blaine I suggested that he was really a post-modern shaman. You are, I said, a kind of urban shaman. David stared at me for a few seconds and then said: InterestingUrban shaman consists of eleven lettersfive for urban, six for shaman. He paused again and added: David has five letters. Blaine has six. How cool is that?

Blaine, by the way, has a knack for connecting numbers and letters to produce codes or mystical associations. Not long ago, when he was experimenting with the endurance test of hanging upside down, he had a specific time-frame in mind. He wanted to hang in that painfully awkward position for exactly 23 minutes and 23 seconds. Why? Answer: Davids mother, Patrice White, who died in 1994 after enduring painful ovarian cancer, was born on the 23rd, and died on the 23rd. She has been Davids exemplar and touchstone for his acts of self-mortification. Blaine also enjoys anagrams. During a recent interview he even (slyly?) suggested that the titles of his television shows are anagrams. HmmmmmmFor example, Frozen in Time can be rearranged to: I ferment in Oz. Drowned Alive = Win dare; loved or Now daredevil! Dive of Death = Ah, deft video! Hmmmmmmmagain

Nevertheless

Like the enduring, frozen image of Houdini hanging upside-down in a straight-jacket in a real world, outdoors, with genuine risks, in front of real people, vividly human, vulnerable and taunting, Blaine is (unlike contenders) a flesh-and-blood person. He takes who he is and what he does to the real world and does it within this real world.

This is why many think and feel that he is the Real Deal, whereas other magicians seem to bewellumwell, you know Actors merely playing the part of magicians.

Then of course there is a significant difference between diving and ascendingregardless of how apparent it looked or what anyone expected

So much for my "loose" talking point...

Onward

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Just posted a conversation on the Finale Flub with David as to what was supposed to happen and what went wrong. Why is David upset with the President? LISTEN AND FIND OUT

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 25th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Okay Jon, some folks ponder counting letters rather than pondering meanings... but what does that have to do with performing the finale from Mary Poppins?

Not that there's anything wrong with the end of the Mary Poppins. Goodness knows we're all probably in need of delight after that presidential debit notice.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 1:56 pm

BTW, early ratings reports indicate 7.5 million viewers for the show.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Just posted a video of David from Regis & Kelly this morning.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 25th, 2008, 2:17 pm

How do those rating compare to Blaine's last few specials, and how did it do in comparison to other shows last night?

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 2:29 pm

ABC Takes Second on Wednesday in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, While Winning the Night Among Adults 18-34

For the 3rd Evening in a Row, Dancing with the Stars Wins its Time Slot in Viewers and Young Adults and Stands as the Most-Watched TV Show of the Night

DWTS Results Generates ABCs Top Results in The Time Period Since Last November

Earning Second in its Time Period, David Blaine: Dive of Death Draws the Nets Biggest Audience in the Slot Since April and Top Adult 18-49 Rating in Over 7 Months

David Blaine: Dive of Death (9:00-11:00 p.m.)
Starting after the Presidential Address at approx 9:16 p.m. (ET), David Blaine: Dive of Death took second place in its time period among Total Viewers (7.8 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.6/7). The special featured David Blaine, the Upside Down Man, attempting to hang from a thin wire five stories in the air - with no safety net or airbag to break his fall - in Central Parks Wollman Rink for three days and nights. During the 10 oclock hour, David Blaine: Dive of Death beat out NBCs season premiere of Lipstick Jungle, despite the lead-in advantage coming out of Americas Got Talent, in Viewers (6.6 million vs. 6.1 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.5/7 vs. 2.3/7).

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Edited the video to remove several minutes in the middle unrelated to David. Can't find a complete copy and I didn't set up to record the show so this copy fades while David is still talking. If anyone finds a copy that is complete, lemmeno. Thanks!

WATCH HERE

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » September 25th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Hey wasn't there a montage of his "past" magic where he floats in the middle of a field..and you can see all the way under his shoes? They never aired that shot before, have they? I guess he wants to reinforce that he can really levitate. Wait, that wasn't a teaser to the balloon ride was it?

Hey Jon, what was that tat on that dude's face? (The guy from Newer Orleans?) Was he some Cajun Mime?

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 2:42 pm

I was also surprised not to hear any chatter about clues that might have been hidden in the poster... now.. I guess the birds flying over his head might have been the hint...

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 25th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Jon Racherbaumer wrote:BLAINE FOOTNOTE
I intermittently watched David Blaine in real-time and on film/video do what he does better than anyone else. I was also intermiitently pleased and impressed.

Well said Jon.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » September 25th, 2008, 2:48 pm

What does he do better than anyone else? Just curious.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 25th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Kevin, it's not what he does that's better than anyone else. Being a magician is, for the most part, often not about the tricks. It's about the person doing the tricks. Blaine has an developed and easy and charismatic way about him that people find very appealing.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 25th, 2008, 3:00 pm

No one has talked about the Bullet Catch much. I used to shoot a 22 caliber rifle as a kid at summer camp: we had a building that housed both the riflery and archery ranges.

Eventually I became the archery instructor and used to spend time between classes shooting the 22. The bullets are tiny, the rifle doesn't have much kick at all. The way they had it set up last night, with the rifle mounted on a fixed tripod, and a large scope, and being so close to the subject, frankly it would be hard to miss.

What's interesting is that David DID really catch the bullet--or the bullet shot into the cup in his mouth and then bounced out (that's how it appeared to me). But the stunt itself, even though the shooting itself was a fairly straightforward thing with little chance for failure, was interesting. How many Bullet Catches are genuine?

Return to “Buzz”