Barry Price

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Ken Becker

Barry Price

Postby Ken Becker » September 1st, 2008, 12:18 pm

Los Angeles Times, Monday, September 01: Magician Barry Price died August 24th at West Anaheim Medical Center from complications of a stroke. Barry was 64 years old; well-known at the Magic Castle, as he performed there many times over the years.

Ken Becker

David Regal

Re: Barry Price

Postby David Regal » September 1st, 2008, 12:42 pm

Barry was a serious card guy and a fascinating man to talk with. He had strong opinions and a bountiful sense of humor matched with a wry side to his personality that made itself known via a phenomenal, dazzling vocabulary. He graciously allowed me to publish his lovely "Stealth Switch" some years ago. Barry was the only guy I've ever seen drop three or four doubles to the tabletop in one fluid motion, in the context of an effect - and he did this as part of his act!

He loved good magic, and he had a great head (and hands) for moves. In addition, he made me the pull I used to vanish a borrowed credit card. One of my favorite memories of Barry is when he and I fooled folks at The Magic Castle - I did an impossible jacket-free coin vanish as Barry and others crowded around me. The method? I vanished a coin that was attached via a pull to Barry's sleeve.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » September 1st, 2008, 8:08 pm

From today's LA Times:

Barry Price
Magician known for his close-up tricks

[image]http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2008-08/42005175-31221134.jpg[/image]

Barry Price, 64, an international award-winning master sleight-of-hand artist who was a prominent performer for many years at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, died Aug. 24 at West Anaheim Medical Center from complications of a stroke.

Known for his close-up work with cards and coins, Price lectured and performed worldwide.

He wrote three books on magic, "Escamotage" (I and II) and "Palming for the Terrified." He also came up with a number of magic effects that he sold to other magicians, including one that created a picture of the Mona Lisa with a deck of cards.

Price was born Jan. 5, 1944, in Chicago and received a bachelor's degree in English composition from Arizona State University. At 14, he got his first professional job, earning $15 to entertain at a private party.

Price, who studied with the noted card magician Ed Marlo in Chicago, spent years refining his art.

"People can sense your skill," Price told The Times in 1997. "When I pass my hand over that deck . . . and the top card changes color, people . . . . know there's something extraordinary going on."

Dave Mithaca

Postby Dave Mithaca » October 27th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Just came across this. I'm sorry to say I didn't hear of Mr. Price's passing until recently. Watching some of his color changes at a Castle Swap Meet several years ago was a highlight of the day which I'll never forget. RIP

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 27th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Dave,

Here is a link to the original notice in August, posted by Barrys daughter Jennifer:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... ber=174008

And in case you missed it, here is a link to the notice for the memorial at the Castle in January:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post179513

Dustin

Return to “Buzz”