Roger Klause Has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Lance Pierce

Roger Klause Has Died

Postby Lance Pierce » August 30th, 2008, 10:48 am

After a long ordeal fighting a terrible disease, Roger passed away a few minutes ago.

No telephone calls to the household, please.

Communications may be sent to Wanda Klause, PO Box 1256, Borger TX 79008.

We'll post information on services as it becomes available.
Last edited by Lance Pierce on August 30th, 2008, 11:17 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Clarifed Subject Heading

erdnasephile

Re: Roger Klause

Postby erdnasephile » August 30th, 2008, 10:53 am

Rest in peace, Mr. Klause, and thanks for everything you did for magic and us.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » August 30th, 2008, 10:59 am

Roger was a good friend and a magical treasure. I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. At least he is finally at peace. My condolences to Wanda.

ScottPeterson

Postby ScottPeterson » August 30th, 2008, 11:19 am

Amen and Amen....

Scott Peterson

Darryl Harris
Favorite Magician: I admire the best!

Postby Darryl Harris » August 30th, 2008, 11:27 am

RK introduced me to Roger, and from that moment, he acted as if we had known each other for years. He was a kind and generous man, and an excellent teacher. To say he will be missed is a gross understatement. He was a one of a kind, that's for sure.
As saddened as I am, I will not mourn Roger's passing. I would much rather celebrate his life. All of my deepest sympathies to Mrs Wanda Klause.
Live with honor
Act with integrity
No regrets

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » August 30th, 2008, 11:35 am

So sorry to hear this. Roger Klause was one of the magicians I was most proud to have met and called a friend. Magic will not be the same without him.

JMT

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 30th, 2008, 12:18 pm

Rest in peace Roger. This had been a tough summer for magic...

Tom

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » August 30th, 2008, 12:18 pm

I am very sad to hear this and will miss him a lot.
My heart is out to Wanda and family.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » August 30th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Roger taught me so much over the years. I am deeply grateful and so sad to see him go.

Thank you Rog.

carney

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » August 30th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Roger was such a great guy... caring, sharing and ready to help anyone interested about magic... his generosity with his talent touched thousands of magicians... a very sad day...

My heartfelt condolences to Roger's family and friends...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » August 30th, 2008, 1:23 pm

Roger was a fine man. I'm sad he's gone, but glad he is no longer suffering.

John

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » August 30th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Ah, just last night I was wondering how he was doing. Thanks for letting us know. I'll keep Wanda and all those who loved and cared for Roger in my prayers.

BTW--I hope that you know that your efforts on behalf of Roger and Wanda have been nothing less than heroic. If you don't, believe me, we do.
The MacGician®

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 30th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Even when you know its coming, news like this is still hard to take.

Lance, I want to thank you for everything you did for Roger during this time. Your loyalty to him as a friend is exemplary.

My sincere condolences to Wanda, his family, his many friends, and to you Lance.

Dustin

mark

Postby mark » August 30th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Roger's generosity is well known by all who so much as asked him a question. He was just wonderful to me, and so much of my magic is better for having known him. He will be remembered as one of those who moved magic ahead by light years. Never satisfied, always working to improve, and a wonderful mentor. Truly, he made you feel more than welcome - an instant friend. I am glad that his suffering is at an end, and send condolences to his family. "In Concert," is a fine legacy along with his other notes and videos, but he's touched many more people than his materials have. Lance, thank you for all you've done - you have been the type of friend that we all hope to have at the end of our journeys.

Blessings,

Mark

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » August 30th, 2008, 5:45 pm

[font:Georgia]I was contacted by Lance Pierce this morning that Roger Kause, my friend of more than 39 years lost his battle with cancer at about 9:30 A.M. today. We all knew that the end was inevitable but that did not make it any easier to lose an old friend who was one of the finest close-up magicians around.

I first met Roger at a Kansas City Convention in June of 1969 when we were introduced by our mutual friend Mike Skinner who I was rooming with. Roger was rooming with a little known 21-year old magician at the time by the name of John Cornelius. Roger and I spend a great deal of time together at the convention and he fooled me more times than I care to remember with his superb card and coin magic and his invisible dice swindle. We had a heavy correspondence after that for a number of years.

My sincere sympathy goes out to his lovely wife Wanda and the rest of the Klause family as well as his many friends.

Rest In Peace my friend.

Harvey Rosenthal[/font]

Joe Limon
Favorite Magician: Bob White, Ricky Jay, David Roth

Postby Joe Limon » August 30th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Each time I ran into Roger Klause at a convention, it showed in the twinkle of his eyes that he not only loved magic, but also the comrades he met along his "magical journey". He always gave everyone he met a moment of his time to chat a bit or pose for a photo. Newbies and not-so-Newbie alike. He made everyone feel special.

My condolences go out to his wife and family and all his close friends. Magic has lost a priceless diamond. He was a true gentleman of magic. Goodnight, Mr. Klause.

Joe Limon
Give Aloha through magic,

Joe

KirkG

Re: Roger Klause Has Died

Postby KirkG » August 30th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Wow this has been a very tough week for the magic world. My condolences to Roger's family and close friends as their loss defies description. While I did not know Roger personally, I am very thankful for his contributions to the real work in magic. I am saddened by his passing, but greatful that his suffering is over.

Irving Quant

Re: Roger Klause Has Died

Postby Irving Quant » August 30th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Roger, thanks for all the great times and the hard lessons you thought me. I've had few people in magic that really gave a damn about me not doing a move right,not having a script for something I showed you, and who really gave me a tough time when I would be performing junk. I will always appreciate that from you because you really set me in the right direction while being very young.

I still remember when I saw you in the lobby of the hotel for the first time (TAOM). DeLong had told me about you before, so I was excited to see who this amazing magician was. You were the first "celebrity" in magic that I saw, and the first one to show me what a session was like at conventions. You even showed me how to do that poker deal with the 10 cards and the bottom deal! And you know, I still got that picture of you, me, the fire-eater lady from Kevin Jame's crew, and our good friend Bob White. Every time I see that picture I remember the jokes and laughs that you would incite at the table, which really made TAOM a good reason for this young kid to travel every year.

Again, thank you for influencing me into working my ass off at getting good chops in magic, thanks for the great stories and the great laughs, and above all thanks for making each and every single convention that I saw you in have a great thing to remember.

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » August 30th, 2008, 8:16 pm

I am deeply saddened to hear the news. He was a man who made friends easily and forever ...
Shawn Farquhar

"if you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not getting the joke."

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » August 30th, 2008, 10:53 pm

For any who may be able and wanting to attend...

There is currently a viewing, which will continue through Monday, at Minton's Mortuary in Borger, Texas. Services will be at 11:00 AM Tuesday morning at Bible Baptist Church in Borger. All are welcome to come.

If you need overnight accommodations, you might try the AmericInn in Borger, which you can reach at 806-273-6000. If you wish to pass on a message to the family, you can e-mail me at lance@lancepierce.com .

And thanks very much for all your kind words.

Lance

David Regal

Postby David Regal » August 31st, 2008, 1:06 am

Roger was so welcoming and kind the first time I met him (I was star-struck and nervous). Such talent, such class. So much to be learned from the man.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » August 31st, 2008, 10:01 am

I got to spend some time with Roger at the 2007 WMS. I was working on his Sun Moon routine, I had brought his book which I brought with me for airplane reading. He gave me a demo and a few extra tips. I remember how he thought it funny how I normally only go by my last name. He asked me if he could call me by my first name. Naturally, I told him he could call me whatever he wanted. When I asked him to sign my copy of his book, he took it with him and returned it to me the next day. Like he really wanted to think about what he wrote. It made me feel like we had known each other for years, instead of a few hours. He was a real treasure to all who knew him, who got to share in the real magic of his friendship.

You'll be missed Roger
Your humble student,
David

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » August 31st, 2008, 10:56 am

Here's the beauty of Roger; after this week, anytime any of those of us who knew him gather and talk about Roger, there will always be smiles and some laughter.

Unlike almost every magician friend I have, I never had to take a "side" concerning Roger or his magic.

Without Roger Klause, magic has lost a little of it's elegance and one of it's biggest points of pride.

The love and devotion he showed for magic was just an offshoot of that which he showed for Wanda, he never failed to make the "Great Wandini" a part of every situation in which he was involved.

It's doubtful there will ever be another gentleman quite like Roger.

Dave

magicalt

Postby magicalt » August 31st, 2008, 3:48 pm

I would like to offer my condolences to the family from Baltazar Fuentes and myself. Roger was an institution at the TAOM and will be greatly missed.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » September 1st, 2008, 1:11 am

...(long, slow, heavy sigh)...
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » September 1st, 2008, 1:32 pm

I second that......

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » September 1st, 2008, 8:33 pm

I have known Roger for more than 50 years. I met him in 1957 or so, when I was working behind the counter at Howard's fun shop in Houston. He would come down from the Panhandle ever so often, and would only deal with Howard, never with any of the rest of us. After I got to know him, I realized it was because he was very serious about magic. He wanted to be as close to the source as possible.

Later, HE became one of the sources.

Somehow, the world of magic is diminished because he is no longer with us. But he left behind a legacy of videos, DVD's, lecture notes and performances that will always inspire those of us who knew him and learned from him.

My heart goes out to Wanda on this dark day.

Rest in peace, Roger.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Diamond Jim Tyler

Postby Diamond Jim Tyler » September 1st, 2008, 11:03 pm

Everyone at the TAOM convention this weekend was saddened to hear of his passing. However his Midnight Madness Meeting was well attended and he was there in spirit. His legacy lives on.
Magically,
Diamond Jim Tyler

Steve Brooks
Favorite Magician: Rene Lavand

Postby Steve Brooks » September 1st, 2008, 11:03 pm

I always considered Roger a friend and will miss him very much. Thanks Roger for all the great memories...

Thank you Lance for keeping us informed.

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » September 2nd, 2008, 3:07 pm

Lance, please check your messages for a PM from me.
The MacGician®

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 2nd, 2008, 9:10 pm

A couple of years ago, I took it really hard when my mom passed away. The two notes I received from Roger were by far the most comforting of the many sentiments I received at that time. His magic went way beyond legerdemain. And he was pretty darn good at the legerdemain part.

Return to “Buzz”