The Passing of a Great Prestidigitator - Barry Price

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
jennifer

The Passing of a Great Prestidigitator - Barry Price

Postby jennifer » August 25th, 2008, 1:46 am

With a heavy heart, I write to let the World of Magic know that my wonderful father, Barry Price, student of Dai Vernon and Ed Marlowe, passed away last night 8/23/08. I know how much his craft meant to him and the value he attached to being part of this special society.
There will be a memorial service held in Southern California in the upcoming month (September or early October) and I encourage anyone interested to contact me for the details. I'm sure he would like to be remembered by all who knew of him.
Please feel free to contact me, Jennifer Price, via email: jennifereden.price@gmail.com
It is my hope that he will be honored and respected for his skill and devotion to his art. Help spread the word.

With Gratitude & Appreciation,
Jennifer Price

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: The Passing of a Great Prestidigitator - Barry Price

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 25th, 2008, 2:18 am

Jennifer,

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Your Dad holds a special place in my heart. We were not fast friends: I met him in the early 1980's when I purchased one of his wallets from him (we met at a restaurant at South Coast Plaza). But from that day--where what was to be just a short lunch turned into a personal lesson in card magic--he was always very kind and generous with his time and advice when our paths crossed. He was indeed a very skilled man and a joy to watch perform.

Best,
Dustin Stinett

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » August 25th, 2008, 2:59 am

My sincerest sympathies to your family and all those who knew him.
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Kurt Eiselt

Postby Kurt Eiselt » August 25th, 2008, 3:10 am

Jennifer,

I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing. I was a student of his about 30 years ago. I enrolled in a night class on magic he was offering through a community college (Coastline?) in Orange County, and continued on with private lessons for awhile. I very fondly recall a small group of us sitting around a table in some room at his apartment complex in Anaheim every week, each of us anxious to show him what we had been practicing. He was always encouraging and supportive. That memory has prompted me to dig up my notes from those sessions. I haven't looked at them in ages, but reviewing them now I'm finding all sorts of nuggets of your father's insight that I had forgotten. I've also found a photocopy of the prepared notes he gave us for a bowl and sponge ball routine he taught us. He was studying calligraphy at the time, so not only are his notes full of magic wisdom, they're elegantly hand-lettered too.

Your dad showed us some amazing magic in those lessons, and I'm sure he inspired many who saw him perform through the years. He certainly was an inspiration to me. I know he will be greatly missed by the magic community.

Kurt Eiselt

Cugel

Postby Cugel » August 25th, 2008, 4:47 am

I'm very sorry to hear about Barry. I met him over ten years ago and we corresponded via written mail over several years. Your father was a terrific sleight of hand artist, excellent gaff builder, very knowledgeable and always fun to hang out with. He and Bruce Cervon had me in stitches on several occasions with their verbal jousting at the bar of the Magic Castle.

He was very kind when I first met him all those years ago, travelling with a friend. We didn't know anyone in LA and Barry was very gracious with his time, sessioning with me and my friend Phil until about 3 am at the Highland Gardens hotel.

So long, Barry.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » August 25th, 2008, 3:20 pm

My sincere condolences, Jennifer. Barry was a great magician and practitioner of our craft. He developed some wonderful sleight-of-hand methods and just blew us away whenever we had the opportunity to sit with him. While I was never at his technical level with cards, he always treated me with respect and was always encouraging with whatever I showed him. This news really makes me sad.

Rest in peace, Barry.

Doug

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » August 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Jennifer,

My sincerest condolences on your loss. You are correct of course, it is a huge loss for the magic community as well. Your father was admired and respected by all who knew him.

Jerry Newton

Postby Jerry Newton » August 25th, 2008, 6:17 pm

I am so sorry to hear of his passing... I had the pleasure of sharing some pleasant moments with him...

Jerry Newton

Dave Andrews

Postby Dave Andrews » August 25th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Jennifer,

I did not know your father, but when magicians write of a person, as they have above, he must have been a much valued mamber of the magical society.

For that reason, I offer my condolensces and prayers to you and your family. It is is bad enough to lose a family member, but when that 'family' extends into the magical fraternity and includes, literally, hundreds of people it is both better and worse; I have been in that position, and knowing that there are many people sharing the grief and loss, helped me a great deal.

I really am sorry, but both my wife and I will remember you and your family in our prayers.

Dave

JohnKennedy

Postby JohnKennedy » August 25th, 2008, 7:53 pm

So sorry for your loss, Jennifer. I used to hang out with your dad about 10 years ago. He would give me advice whenever I was working on a new trick. I'm shocked and saddened to hear of his passing.

I remember him looking close to my age (I'm now 54) and I wonder how he died so young, or was he older than he looked?

John Kennedy

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » August 25th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Jennifer, I'm very sorry for the loss of your Dad.

Love lives on.

In sympathy,

Donal Chayce
The MacGician®

Scotto

Postby Scotto » August 26th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Jennifer,
Words can't express the loss of your Father. I have several wonderful memories of him. One was sitting at the bar at the Castle and complaining about my inability to do the Pass, He then sat with me fir several hours tutoring me. All in exchange for a ride home.

Aloha Berry
Magically

Scotto

This email is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty, and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

KirkG

Postby KirkG » August 26th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Jennifer,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father and a great contributor to the art of magic. I used to argue with your father over various card moves at the Magic Castle, but it was always with mutual respect. i learned a great deal from those arguments.

I will miss him.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 27th, 2008, 2:12 am

This is to answer John Kennedy's question, but it's also for everyone.

Barry was about 64 (I'll be getting verification of that). He suffered a serious stroke last December. After an 8-month fight to live, his heart arrested.

Dustin

Return to “Buzz”