Allan Ackerman's "Expert at the Card Table" DVD+ Sale on His Website

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Harvey Rosenthal

Allan Ackerman's "Expert at the Card Table" DVD+ Sale on His Website

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » July 30th, 2008, 2:21 am

There is still a little time left to get in on the pre-publication sale offered on Allan Ackermans website http://allanackerman.com for his new DVD set featuring all the material in Expert at the Card Table. The pre-publication deal that includes the set of DVDs will also come with a number of pdf files and hard cover books valued at $80. The pdf files feature the following text:
Expert at the Card Table 1944 edition
The Gardner Smith Correspondence (Marshall Smith did the illustrations for Erdnase)
The Murderous Card Shark a book by Martin Gardner and John Conrad
Was Erdnase Adbul Aziz Khan by Martin Gardner
You will receive the following bonus hard copy books!
Marlo on Erdnase by John Racherbaumer
A pocket edition of Expert at the Card Table
The Man Who was Erdnase, Loose Ends and Dead Ends by Bart Whaley
How Gambles Win by Gerritt Evans with an introductory essay by Bart Whaley

The above offer is for the first 300 customers. Shipping in the U.S. is free. Foreign orders add $15. I expect to get my set in a few weeks.

Harvey

Don Stachowiak

Re: Allan Ackerman's "Expert at the Card Table" DVD+ Sale on His Website

Postby Don Stachowiak » August 5th, 2008, 4:54 pm

I pre-ordered mine from Houdini Magic quite a while ago (same package deal)
Has there been any update on when it will ship? Two months ago they said the second half of July, but that ship has sailed. Someone on The Magic Cafe quoted Allan Ackerman as saying sometime in August, but there's been no confirmation on either web site.
Don

Kamal

Postby Kamal » August 5th, 2008, 7:10 pm

I don't know if it's a sign, but my credit card was charged by Houdini's last week.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » August 5th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Kamal wrote:I don't know if it's a sign, but my credit card was charged by Houdini's last week.

Yes it's a sign...that you only have six more months to wait :)
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 6th, 2008, 12:17 am

That's a naughty thing to say, Ray.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Don Stachowiak

Postby Don Stachowiak » August 6th, 2008, 9:52 am

Kamal wrote:I don't know if it's a sign, but my credit card was charged by Houdini's last week.

Mine was charged two days after I preordered, and that was 2 months ago.
It would be nice to get an email update, or even a posting on an open forum, just to maintain a "comfort level"
Don

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 6th, 2008, 11:57 am

All you have to do is call the company and ask when the product will be shipped.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » August 6th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:That's a naughty thing to say, Ray.

I thought it was pretty slick, Dick.

Don Stachowiak

Postby Don Stachowiak » August 6th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:All you have to do is call the company and ask when the product will be shipped.

Richard,
That's certainly true, however, while I waited on hold this morning for 10 minutes in an attempt to do exactly that, only to get a call from my real job which made me have to drop off without an answer, it occurred to me that it shouldn't have to be my responsibility to track down my merchandise.
If I had ordered this material and it had been shipped to me ahead of payment, I think that if I waited around for two months to pay for it, the merchant would feel like he had a right to be annoyed with me. All I'm asking for is a little consideration in the form of an update email.
Don

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » August 6th, 2008, 9:15 pm

By getting all these preorders, the company gets to use that capital to fund their publication. That's fine provided they give you a reasonable date for shipment and send you updates.

It's OK if you are dealing with a reputable company like Kaufman & Co or Hermetic Press but you have to be very careful with others without a track record. For my recent book I took preorders when the printer had the pdf and InDesign files in hand and I was in a 14 day queue for printing. Those who preordered from me had a a date set for shipping which was no more than 4 weeks after they paid.

Larry
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » August 7th, 2008, 4:49 am

Larry Barnowsky wrote:By getting all these preorders, the company gets to use that capital to fund their publication. That's fine provided they give you a reasonable date for shipment and send you updates.

It's OK if you are dealing with a reputable company like Kaufman & Co or Hermetic Press but you have to be very careful with others without a track record. For my recent book I took preorders when the printer had the pdf and InDesign files in hand and I was in a 14 day queue for printing. Those who preordered from me had a a date set for shipping which was no more than 4 weeks after they paid.

Larry

This is not directed at you Larry, so please do take umbrage at what I am about to write.

But isn't this "pay in advance so I can pay for the actual production of my whatever" bass acwards from the way the preponderance of business is transacted?

This business model which seems to thrive in the magic community would not be well received in most other commercial milieus.

What would be the reception to a grocery chain asking that you pay for the items today that will not be available for consumption until 90 days later?

Or the contractor who asks for the total purchase price of a new home up front so he can have access to the funds to buy a new bulldozer to clear the lot (and likely use most of the proceeds to liquidate the outstanding indebtedness for the last home he built prior to devising this scheme)?

Or the cardiologist who demands immediate payment in full for the
for the coronary bypass operation that you're planning to have before Christmas.

It is a lame business model that only serves to propagate and support thinly or undercapitalized enterprises.

Deposit requirements on special items, custom built items, limited quantity items etc are de rigueur and to be expected in transactions such as these and rightfully so.

Once all of that 100% prepaid loot is sitting in the business's coffers what tangible incentive is left for the promoter to follow through with manufacture and delivery as expeditiously as possible?

The answer is none.

Oh the halls may resound with claims to the contrary over this statement and greed and avarice will draw their gorgeous robes aside and protest loudly that honesty and integrity will see the job through to the finish.
(I lifted the greed and avarice bit from initiation ritual of a well known benevolent order ;) )

The incidences of partially or totally unfulfilled obligations of this sort in the niche magic industry are legion and run the gamut from apparatus to periodicals with a few stops in between.

I am willing to supply a laundry list of perpetrators but they are all known to you already and why precipitate a hail of excuses, protests and cries of foul from the chronic apologists that exist within the community.

My motto has always been, "Pay as you go and you don't owe."
The time is way past due for the promoters, sellers and dreamers to adopt a business plan that does not require their customers "Pay as they go and then we'll owe."

Any business venture has some element of risk involved in it and risk is a gamble.
When you gamble, you walk up to the crap table and throw your own money on the pass line.

You don't ask the guys standing next to you to do it for you.

Play with your own money.

Thus endeth the first lesson.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » August 7th, 2008, 9:34 am

Ray T. Stott wrote:But isn't this "pay in advance so I can pay for the actual production of my whatever" bass acwards from the way the preponderance of business is transacted?

It's done because with certain products (high profile) it works. If it works, why not do it. Some magicians are willing to pay in advance for something they want.

Anytime I can work off of other people money, I'll take it everytime. When people begin to not pay in advance, it won't work.

While the examples you list of other business transaction are correct, there are other examples where people do pay in advance. Certain luxury items that are very rare and time intensive (cars, boats, painting, etc...) require payment ahead of time.

James Kernen

Postby James Kernen » August 7th, 2008, 10:19 am

With cars, boats, paintings, etc, there are usually contracts associated with them with performance terms. This is also more the case with custom items.

With magic items, there are announcements (advertisements or postings) or perhaps verbal statements that items will be ready to ship within a week or by a certain "other" date (often within a month), and then there is the long wait.

While delays can be inevitable and sometimes out of ones' control, communication becomes the key factor, but it only helps if that communication is realistic. If not, it becomes a string of broken promises. When this happens over and over again, it does feel more like a gamble than a purchase no matter how nice of a person the seller is.

I don't mind paying in advance for an item. In fact, I currently have about 2 dozen plus items (spread over 6 sellers) that are pre-ordered and outstanding ranging from a week to 18 months (I think one of them is almost 2 years). While I have no real concern that I will never receive most of my items from most of the sellers, it has definitely impacted my business plan based on when I thought I would have the goods.

The advice I get when I have discussions about this is usually, "don't preorder an item if you don't think you are going to get it"...then it really does sound like a gamble and not a purchase, doesn't it.

Well, I am generally an optimist and tend to trust people too much... so I am going back to waiting.. I have more ebay items to list and some to ship anyway....which by the way, we all know what would happen to me as a seller on ebay if I sold my items and waited a couple of months to ship. I ship within 8-48 hours as it is right now, and my DSR rating is still under a 5 for shipping time since some people expect it to be faster....

James

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » August 7th, 2008, 11:34 am

James Kernen wrote:While delays can be inevitable and sometimes out of ones' control, communication becomes the key factor, but it only helps if that communication is realistic. If not, it becomes a string of broken promises. When this happens over and over again, it does feel more like a gamble than a purchase no matter how nice of a person the seller is.

Agreed.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 7th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Remember that what you're actually doing by paying in advance is getting in as one of the first 300 buyers to receive the special edition package with all the extras.

If you choose not to pay in advance, you'll still get the basic package but you'll likely NOT get one of the first 300 special editions though, and therein lies the incentive to pay in advance.

I wanted to be assured that I got one of the special edition packages, so I paid in advance.

The carrot in this case is the special edition offer, otherwise there's no reason to pay in advance, and every reason just to buy the regular package when it is actually released.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » August 7th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Roger M. wrote:Remember that what you're actually doing by paying in advance is getting in as one of the first 300 buyers to receive the special edition package with all the extras.

If you choose not to pay in advance, you'll still get the basic package but you'll likely NOT get one of the first 300 special editions though, and therein lies the incentive to pay in advance.

I wanted to be assured that I got one of the special edition packages, so I paid in advance.

The carrot in this case is the special edition offer, otherwise there's no reason to pay in advance, and every reason just to buy the regular package when it is actually released.

With all due respect, you missed my point entirely.
Limited edition or standard edition
Collectors edition or standard edition
You produce them with your own funds and then sell them to the first 300 individuals that cough up the purchase price.

To do otherwise is unconscionable.
The magic trail is littered with the broken promises of individuals that others trusted.
People deserve what they paid for, not a bunch of sob stories about how this deadline was missed, that whatchamacallit didn't fit or I had a family emergency.

How would you feel if you received a telephone call from the automobile dealer whose shop was repairing the transmission on your Yugo and was told that the job could not be completed as promised because the mechanic's 3rd cousin Bessie in Butte, Montana had to enter the hospital and he needed to be at her side and would likely, but no promises, be back on the job in three or four weeks?

Winners honor their obligations and keep their clients in the know about their purchase.
Losers make endless excuses and their clients must pry information from them.

Making money using leverage is fine but a lever whose fulcrum is a promise of uncertain or dubious value is a poor one indeed and benefits the promoter while making long suffering suckers out his customers.

Make it FIRST!
Sell it SECOND!

All poor business people and some good ones had better prepare to do penance for the shabby and cavalier treatment of their customers.
If they believe that the economy is bad right now and their sales are tanking, I have some very bad news for them.

The current economic situation will seem like a stroll in the park compared to business conditions at the end of 2008 if not sooner.

The monopoly money, read that fiat money, that serves as US currency at this moment in time, as debased and battered as it is, will not only continue to decline in purchasing power but the supply of it is going to get as tight as a crab's ass (and that is watertight!) and these arrogant, public be damned business people will find themselves scrambling to keep their heads above water by themselves as their offices and shops will empty of the customers that they could have made friends and customers had they not engaged in such sharp and/or shoddy business practices.

The horses are nearly all out of the barn.
Someone had better shut the door quickly.

Thus endeth the second lesson

And by the way Mr Shrimpton - I checked the link myself that was posted here for the De Kolta book and it was ended with a Buy It Now.
I also took a few seconds and did an advanced search on closed transactions on eBay and there it was - SOLD - $499.00 USD - CASE CLOSED - Now you can put your copy up for sale and try your luck :)
One should get their facts straight prior to expounded a falsehood.

I assume the British public school system still instructs their pupils in the fundamentals of reading the Queen's English :)

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 7th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I wasn't addressing you Ray, and my post didn't have anything to do with your point, and therefore didn't miss anything.
It may surprise you, but you never crossed my mind while was typing :)

Don England has commented on the Cafe today that he spoke with Ackerman in the last couple of days, and they're dealing with some very last minute items before getting ready to ship.

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » August 7th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Hi Guys,

Just got off the phone with Allan Ackerman. He told me he just talked to Geno and was told they are now over the three hundred mark in pre-orders so the pre-order bonus offer is now at an end.

The pre-orders are going to start shipping next week and will go out in two parts. The first will be all the bonus materials. Marlo on Erdnase - etc. and the 9 DVDs should be ready to ship in about two weeks.

You now have the latest information.

Harvey

Terry

Postby Terry » August 9th, 2008, 9:37 am

I took advantage of the offer when it was first advertised and I'm not complaining about the wait. I feel the value of what I am to receive is worth it. If you don't believe in the pre-order idea - then don't pre-order. So simple it's stupid.

Magic is not like other merchandise and has a limited consumer base. There are Erdnase people who will jump for this. There are others who have zero interest in it. A smart businessman would gauge the interest in a product and then produce that + some extra merchandise. It saves money and storage of product that may/may not move for a while.

Tony Tuccillo

Postby Tony Tuccillo » August 9th, 2008, 1:32 pm

I received the bonus items in today's mail with a letter from Geno dated 8/5 saying everything was being sent to the duplicators this week.

In the package is Marlo on Erdnase, How Gamblers Win reprint, a Whaley essay on How Gamblers Win, another Whaley piece titled The Man Who Was Erdnase: Loose Ends and Dead Ends and the Houdini pocket edition of EATCT.

As a bonus for waiting so long Geno included the Gamblers Marked Deck and book.

I would imagine all who pre-order months ago will be receiving their bonus materials shortly.
Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » August 9th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Harvey Rosenthal wrote:Hi Guys,

Just got off the phone with Allan Ackerman. He told me he just talked to Geno and was told they are now over the three hundred mark in pre-orders so the pre-order bonus offer is now at an end.

The pre-orders are going to start shipping next week and will go out in two parts. The first will be all the bonus materials. Marlo on Erdnase - etc. and the 9 DVDs should be ready to ship in about two weeks.

Harvey

Your post was dated August 7. On August 8 I received an email stating that you could still pre-order the special edition. That's strange.

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » August 9th, 2008, 2:15 pm

I just now received, from a uniformed agent of the US PS, the package containing all but the DVDs. I preordered a long time ago.
Contents:
Marked deck (blue Bikes) + Boris Wild booklet;
Hoffman anotated edition of EATCT
_How Gamberlers Win_ by Gerritt M. Evans
_The Mysterious Gambler & The Man Who Was Erdnase_ (combined)
_Marlo on Erdnase_ by Racherbaumer

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » August 9th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Got the same package today. The note inside said the discs are at the "duplicators this week and will be manufactured ASAP. As soon as these are returned to our factory I will rush them out to you."

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » August 9th, 2008, 3:58 pm

What a wonderful day.

I too got the same package from Mr. Munari, it oddly coincides with an email from Mike Caveney that he has shipped me something.

That would be my copy of Revelation with the "fixed" slip cover.

Even stranger that all that Erdnase goodness would occur on this day which is my birthday.

Terry

Postby Terry » August 9th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Package arrived in Frankfort today.

The marked deck is very nice especially to a bifocal sufferer like myself.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » August 9th, 2008, 9:55 pm

I got mine today, for those of you who didn't order the limited edition, just the Racherbaumer MARLO ON ERDNASE has been a joy to read so far. Marlo was an interesting human being when it comes to other folk's card magic.

As far as the inane posts about pre-ordering, Terry said it best, "So simple it's stupid."

Magic has set a precedent when it comes to pre-ordering, which is unlike mainstream publishing, there are those of us willing to pay for something not yet produced but we've never been forced. If you can't afford or are unwilling to put up $129.00 for something like this for a few months ......... Don't do it!!!

Dave

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » August 9th, 2008, 11:23 pm

I got my package today, too. What a great surprise. I can't wait for the DVDs.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » August 10th, 2008, 12:33 am

The package of print materials (and marked, stripped deck :) ) arrived in Seattle this afternoon. Plenty to keep me busy while I wait for the discs...

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » August 10th, 2008, 12:42 am

How about a preliminary report on Bart Whaley's THE MAN WHO WAS ERDNASE: LOOSE ENDS AND DEAD ENDS. Any compelling new evidence linking Milton Franklin Andrews to Erdnase?

Terry

Postby Terry » August 10th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Dave Egleston wrote:Terry said it best, "So simple it's stupid."
Dave

Thanks, but I can't claim credit for the saying. The credit goes to Unka Ted Nugent.

Terry

Postby Terry » August 10th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:How about a preliminary report on Bart Whaley's THE MAN WHO WAS ERDNASE: LOOSE ENDS AND DEAD ENDS. Any compelling new evidence linking Milton Franklin Andrews to Erdnase?

Richard,

I am through page 10 which is part of 'The Mysterious Gambler' essay.

Being a history freak, it has been interesting and I am looking forward to reading the enclosed copy of the book.

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » August 10th, 2008, 10:41 pm

I heard someone else tried making a dvd of expert at the card table but I don't think it was as good.

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » August 12th, 2008, 3:08 am

[font:Georgia]Hey Guys

On a more somber note, just heard from Allan Ackerman that Geno Munari e-mailed him on Saturday that his only son who was in the mid-30s, passed away on Friday. As you can well imagine, Geno is devastated.

Har[/font]vey

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » August 12th, 2008, 3:18 am

I got a doorbell so I went to check to see who's there. It's a package from Houdini Magic, Inc. So I open to see what's in it. Got the same thing you guys got but no note on DVD! Sooo I check this tread out. Now I know where MY DVD and glad to wait for it.
Thanks Houdini Magic, Inc.!

Don Stachowiak

Postby Don Stachowiak » August 12th, 2008, 10:14 am

I received my "swag package" from Houdini Magic yesterday, and couldn't be more delighted. Really a wonderful package of premiums, and more than enough to keep me occupied until the DVD set arrives.

Harvey Rosenthal started a separate thread for condolences to Mr. Munari and his family. I'm so sorry to hear about this.

Don

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » August 12th, 2008, 10:31 am

cardmechanic wrote:I heard someone else tried making a dvd of expert at the card table but I don't think it was as good.

Magic Makers has a 7 DVD set out on Erdnase. I'm sure it was rushed to beat Ackerman's work to the market.

I have not seen it nor will I because I ordered the Ackerman set.

I feel certain that the Ackerman set will be the better of the two. This has nothing to do with who is performing but with production techniques and values. I have some MM DVD's and the production on all of them is rushed-looking. No rehearsal, we're only doing one take so get it close type of video. But that's just my opinion as a former university teacher of TV production and my 2 cents US.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

usendmee

Postby usendmee » August 12th, 2008, 12:51 pm

Mark Paulson wrote:
Harvey Rosenthal wrote:Hi Guys,

Harvey

Your post was dated August 7. On August 8 I received an email stating that you could still pre-order the special edition. That's strange.

As a late comer, I had placed an order for the Erdnase limited edition set on the 8th of August, directly off Mr. Ackerman website. Even though my Paypal was charged, I did not receive any confirmation (email, or otherwise). I was getting concerned after reading the various post stating that the 300 limit had already been reached.

I just called Houdini Magic and was informed that ALL orders placed on Allan's site was and will be directed to them AND that some of the 300 limited edition set (though getting very close) are still not claimed.

I would advise any procrastinators and late comers to act now (call Houdini Magic directly and order) while the few remaining sets are still available.

Bosco

Terry

Postby Terry » August 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:How about a preliminary report on Bart Whaley's THE MAN WHO WAS ERDNASE: LOOSE ENDS AND DEAD ENDS. Any compelling new evidence linking Milton Franklin Andrews to Erdnase?

Richard,

I just finished it and the ERDNASE: LOOSE ENDS AND DEAD ENDS section is a laundry list of things that needed to be followed up on to support/deny the accuracy of the book.

The first half is spent researching the book 'The Mysterious Gambler' and it's author.

Terry

Postby Terry » August 23rd, 2008, 6:49 pm

I starting reading 'The Man Who Was Erdnase' (TMWWE) again and several paragraphs seemed familiar to me.

In the booklet, The Mysterious Gambler an Introductory essay, page 5-6 contains the identical information found on page 53-54 of 'TMWWE'. It is almost a word for word copy of what was written 17 years ago.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » August 29th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Hello and thank you for your patience.

WE ARE SHIPPING TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

The Expert At The Card Table is on the way.

Return to “Buzz”