Ricky Jay's show

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Diego

Ricky Jay's show

Postby Diego » July 26th, 2008, 2:27 am

I just came back from seeing Ricky Jay's show at The Geffen Theater, and it was well worth the time and money, to watch the audience, (mostly all non-magic types) respond/react to his presentation.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Re: Ricky Jay's show

Postby Joe Naud » July 26th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Diego, If you would, please give us some details. What impressed you the most? What did you see that you had never seen before? What got the greatest audiance reaction? Thanks in advance for the review. I was hoping someone that was lucky enough to get a chance to see this would post something.
Peace, Joe

Diego

Postby Diego » July 27th, 2008, 1:59 am

I purposely got seats in the last row at the aisle, (theater is 96 seats?)as I was more interested in his presentation and watching the audience.
The set, premise, and presentation made it something more , the audience expectations being higher.
Each effect/phase was (made) important to the audience...doing what others would use as throw-away moves.
His demonstration of gambling moves and the history behind them, (with two good volunteers) especially impressed many.
His finding a signed card, inside a sealed card deck, that was inside a suitcase went over very strong.
His mixing half the deck face up and down, and later finding the four Aces,(or Queens) in the middle of the now righted pack, wowed many.
Interesting, that it started at 8:35pm and finished at 10:23pm, with a 20 minute intermission, but it seemed as the time had gone by much faster.
Because of Ricky Jay being Ricky Jay, many came, (as one said later) "because he is a cool guy." Although many came to see, and did see, some great magic, for some, saying they went to see Ricky do card tricks, would be like saying you went to see Will Rogers, do rope spinning.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » July 30th, 2008, 11:10 am

I saw the show Sunday night. It lived up to my expectations, which were vey high. I sat behind Carl Reiner and Steve Martin, who both seemed to really enjoy the show. Steve seemed to be really concentrating on the cups and balls. Both laughed a lot. Jane Fonda was also there. Saw Michael Weber talking to MR. Reiner and Martin after the show. People I talked to after the show came, not for the card tricks, but for the entertainment. The card tricks are great, but it is the way in which they are presented that sells the show out for six weeks. Mr. Jay is a great magician, but he is an even better entertainer.
Don Hendrix

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 30th, 2008, 11:24 am

Did he toss the card into the watermellon at the end?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Maurice Newman

Postby Maurice Newman » July 30th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Sadly no.

Scotto

Postby Scotto » July 31st, 2008, 7:06 pm

I was there Saturday and echo what was said before. It was a wonderful show. Ricky was very entertaining. one perk was at intermission, I was a man in "stage blacks" walking around. It turned out to be David Roth (credited as the 53rd assistant in the program) so I had a nice chat with him.

The downside was not seeing the watermelon card stab.
There were 6 empty seats in our show, so if you want to go, check the box office for cancellations

Scotto
Magically

Scotto

This email is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty, and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » August 1st, 2008, 12:40 am

There were two empty seats at Sunday's show.

JimW

Postby JimW » August 4th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Due to an unexpected business trip I have an extra ticket to the show this Wednesday, Aug 6. Full details are here:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post172306

JimW

Postby JimW » August 5th, 2008, 4:56 pm

I still have an extra ticket for tomorrow night so I'm making an offer I hope at least one of you can't refuse. Ticket was $85 and I am asking $60. Full details at this link.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post172306

Return to “Buzz”