Fake Jerry's Nugget cards ???

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mehtas

Fake Jerry's Nugget cards ???

Postby mehtas » May 28th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Just came across this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocMnE-KEU8

Elliot Gorton

Re: Fake Jerry's Nugget cards ???

Postby Elliot Gorton » May 28th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Awesome...now there's an expose I can get behind!
www.savetheinternet.com
www.myspace.com/elliotgorton
http://twitter.com/elliotmagic

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 28th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Awesome.. hope he didn't pay $1500 for them!

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 28th, 2008, 9:05 pm

I don't think he paid $1,500 for them, but you can check what he did pay on Ebay.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » May 28th, 2008, 10:05 pm

I believe that I located the disgruntled purchaser's completed transaction on eBay.

He really should have paid more attention to the titles and description of the offending decks.

The seller clearly stated that the listing was for two decks of Jerry's [size:14pt][color:#FF0000]McNugget[/color][/size] cards and showed them fanned face up on a flat surface.

The image of Ronald McDonald Image on the jokers should have been a dead give away.

"A sound magician is a mighty god."
-Christopher Marlowe

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » May 28th, 2008, 10:53 pm

Why would a deck of cards be worth 150. Just supply and demand?
With only a 90% rating that's not someone to do business with. Looks like it was mostly the same buyer picking up the Nugget cards...

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » May 28th, 2008, 11:57 pm

tomg wrote:Why would a deck of cards be worth 150. Just supply and demand?
With only a 90% rating that's not someone to do business with. Looks like it was mostly the same buyer picking up the Nugget cards...

You hit it square on the head about this particular deck of cards current pricing or the pricing of any other scarce commodity for that matter.

That is why cabbage is only thirty-nine cents a pound and these cards, based on a mere guess at their weight, command about $1200.00 a pound.

That point where the supply and demand curves intersect is a market and the demand curve for these cards has all of the outward manifestations of an inelastic one.

If the federal government picks up on this they might levy an addition $25.00 per pack excise on them in the same fashion as they do other commodities with price inelasticity of demand ie. liquor, cigarettes, gasoline etc.
"A sound magician is a mighty god."

-Christopher Marlowe

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » May 29th, 2008, 1:29 am

"Irrational exuberance" develops around certain things (a la the Dutch tulip-bulb frenzy of 400 years ago, or the mood-ring/pet rock frenzies of the 1970s).

People seem to over-estimate what they'll "get out of" items like a "bite-off quarter" after having seen David Blaine perform it; "Cards as Weapons" by Ricky Jay; "Pure Effect" by Derren Brown or say, Jerry's Nugget playing cards.

An old saying goes:
"Walking into a church doesn't make one 'spiritual' any more than walking into an auto-body shop makes one a 'Buick' ".

It's disappointing but true: even the above items will not, on receipt, make one as good as David Blaine, Ricky Jay, Derren Brown, nor Dan & Dave Buck.

verticaltrig

Postby verticaltrig » May 29th, 2008, 3:26 am

Hi guys,
I happen to be the "disgruntled purchaser" that posted this video on youtube and the thread at decknique.net. This fraudulent seller has been auctioning 4 decks every 3 days for almost 2 months now... that equals a lot of ripped off bidders. When I made my particular purchases the feedback score was 100%, admitedlly it wasn't very high in number but there was already good feedback left for the cards.

As far as the price of Jerry's Nuggets and "irrational exuberance"; I myself am a collector, so I will pay any price I deem necessary to obtain something I want (to a rational point). I understand that to many this seems just as ridiculous as collecting stamps, rocks, or cow dung with Christ's image on it seems ridiculous to me. As stand alone cards they certainly have their merits (and disadvantages) but not near the prices they are going for (and I am paying). Also, interestingly enough, there are several other types of cards with much less hype that go for much more money.

I certainly would not buy these cards or any item to try and make myself as good as "David Blaine, Ricky Jay, Derren Brown, or Dan & Dave Buck", although I am sure a lot of misguided people do.

-ANDY

Jason England

Postby Jason England » May 29th, 2008, 4:26 am

Andy,

You have a nice collection (or partial collection) on display. Anything you don't have that you'd like to have?

Jason

verticaltrig

Postby verticaltrig » May 29th, 2008, 4:51 am

Jason England wrote:Andy,

You have a nice collection (or partial collection) on display. Anything you don't have that you'd like to have?

Jason

Oh, I've got quite a list:
Dunes
Las Vegas Clubs
Uncancelled Joshuah Tree Desert Inns!!!
Aristocrat 727's
anything vintage from USPCC, Russel, Dougherty, ect.

These are just a few... I have a long way to go and not enough money to get there.... I'm a bit over budget right now! I will definitely contact you when the time comes for some of the rarer ones. I have you in my favorite sellers on ebay so I will notice when you put something up. I also put your name and ebay id on the decknique forum under reliable sellers... hope you don't mind.

-ANDY

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » May 29th, 2008, 10:02 am

Looks like the same seller may have some "ripped off" WOWs.

Return to “Buzz”