Just How Bad is Criss Angel's Press?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Just How Bad is Criss Angel's Press?

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2008, 10:04 pm

If you want a taste of now bad Criss Angel's press is in Las Vegas right now, read these two pieces:

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/content/n ... o-rewards/

http://vegasblog.latimes.com/vegas/2008 ... be-pr.html

All of this has got to be making the folks at the Luxor and Cirque sweat bullets. Of course, show business being the whoring enterprise that it is, they'll all be kissing Angel's ass if his show makes huge amounts of money. Guess we'll know a lot more by the end of this year after it's been open a few months.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Nicholas Carifo

Re: Just How Bad is Criss Angel's Press?

Postby Nicholas Carifo » April 24th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Wow... there are some strong words in both of those articles, Richard.. man.

I am certainly hoping the show is wonderful.

I have never been disappointed with anything associated with Cirque du Soleil. They are a fantastic organization. I hope it doesn't start with thie magic one.

By any chance, does anyone know if Dragone is associated in directing and producing the production this time around? I suspect he is personally responsible for much of Cirque's creativity.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 24th, 2008, 11:09 pm

Criss may be closer to the ideals of a Cirque owning, stilt-walking, fire-eating multi-billionaire than the Las Vegas press actually realize.

Although the city of Las Vegas may understand a personality like Criss's, they've never understood what Cirque is about.

You've got to go to Saint Michel and spend some time in the small city that is the Cirque campus to truly get a grasp of the Cirque mindset.

Everybody talks about "Cirque" when they should really be talking about Guy.
If Guy likes Criss, that's all that matters.

Cirque isn't a corporation, it's Guy.

chipper

Postby chipper » April 25th, 2008, 2:45 am

Although it's mentioned in one of the articles that Cirque is "stuck" with Criss, in that they can't get rid of him during the run, I really think that's highly unlikely.

Criss isn't the one investing the supposed $100 Million in the production and you don't simply throw a $100 million at something without some kind of security within the contract to protect your large financial investment.

I'm sure many of the segments within the stage production (if not ALL), including music, costuming, set design, etc., will be fully "owned" by Cirque should the show suddenly close due to whatever situation that may arise. It may even be a show that could still "play" even without Criss being in it. Unlike Celine where her music and voice IS her show, Criss could possibly lay claim to a few illusions he and his crew bring to the table, but that's basically where it ends. Others ("Cirque") will own most or all of the music and production rights. It only makes common sense for anyone willing to risk hundreds of millions on a project.

Seriously, can you imagine a production company opening up a full-blown musical on Broadway only to find it fail, AND it didn't happen to retain full ownership within the contract negotiations to at least help in cutting your losses should you have to sell it off in an emergency? -- Even if you had to sell the set for firewood! (By the way, there are MANY Broadway productions which LOSE money in New York even if they are considered a rousing success, but are able to make it all back and then some with their touring companies, and then there is licensing rights for years to come after that , cast albums, etc...)

Either way, let's all hope for the best. : )

You know, there's something else to be considered here. Even if the show (as a whole) is fantastic (which I really do hope it is), the audience and the public in general will naturally throw all the creative credit to Cirque ten times more than they will Criss. And if it fails, then the attention becomes opposite, with all eyes and responsibility directed at Criss, and Cirque simply the production company which supported him from the wings.

Nothing against Criss - It's just that we've seen that scenario played out before on Broadway and in major films with various celebrities tied to projects. Sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Here's also hoping that Criss steps back and carefully understands where his career is at, and opens up enough to really have a heartfelt sense of humor about himself.

Chipper

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2008, 9:29 am

It was reported that Cirque took out an enormous insurance policy should Angel not be able to complete his contract. That's their insurance ... literally.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 25th, 2008, 10:14 am

Are they taking bets on how long till CA goes with the wind machine to blow his hair around on stage - and maybe capes?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » April 25th, 2008, 11:56 am

And they say the "mafia" is out of Vegas...Nope, they are now entertainment reporters
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Rennie

Postby Rennie » April 25th, 2008, 12:39 pm

Criss Angel is a complete idiot. He does absolutely nothing for magic except give it a bad name. I cannot see how anyone defends his actions.
Maybe someday he will actually get a decent hair style, buy a nice looking set of clothes, dispose of all that ridiculous jewelry, start treating his bosses and peers with a little dignity and respect,quit using camera tricks, then and only then should he be accepted.
Say what you will, I would not cross the street to see him perform.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 25th, 2008, 1:31 pm

All these articles prove is that bloggers think they are more important than everyone else does. None of this will have any effect whatsoever on Cris Angel or Cirque du Soleil. For the writer to think that this is a sign of impending disaster is hilariously egotistical.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 25th, 2008, 1:43 pm

I think pissing off a major Entertainment writer in Vegas may have its consequences. While I don't usually check reviews of shows that I think I know something about, if I'm looking to catch a show on a lark - I do see what's been written. No press/bad press may not discourage people from seeing Criss per se, but it may have the effect of leading them to other more highly reviewed/highly covered events.

Now, if he punches out a cabby - THAT will be the nail in the coffin.

Brad

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 25th, 2008, 2:01 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:All these articles prove is that bloggers think they are more important than everyone else does. None of this will have any effect whatsoever on Cris Angel or Cirque du Soleil. For the writer to think that this is a sign of impending disaster is hilariously egotistical.

Steve Friess wrote:Of course, the only risky thing I get to do is make predictions. And my prediction is that Wynn will stick with Gans no matter what if only to not have schmucks like me write about a third mistake.

As for Cirque? Its uncharted territory. If they make it through the full 10-year run without some major Angel snafu, they will have convinced meand theyre well on their way with some of the stuff in K and Mystrethat they can make anything look easy.

Those words are hardy egotistical or self-important.

And Richard Abowitzs piece is more about why Steve Friess wrote what he did.

But Im not surprised by your interpretation.

Dustin

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » April 25th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Rennie wrote:Maybe someday he will actually get a decent hair style, buy a nice looking set of clothes, dispose of all that ridiculous jewelry, start treating his bosses and peers with a little dignity and respect,quit using camera tricks, then and only then should he be accepted.

Accepted by who(m)? Magicians and the world of magic? With all due respect, Rennie, I think you've lost the "World According to Criss" plot. I'm pretty well convinced at this point that CA is not about anything other than CA. Had his hair-band rock efforts worked out I don't believe he'd be [s]pissing on magic's head[/s] using magic as his vehicle to Fart Knox.

At his age, he's got a narrow window of opportunity to cash in on pop culture's bizarre and quick changing interest. Despite what anyone may say, he's got a pretty good strategy going right now and I doubt he's as stupid as his actions suggest. He's getting press. He's getting paid. A lot. And as my crazy uncle used to say, "A whole lot of money erases a whole lot of 'give a crap."

Personally, I think it's like watching a train wreck occur, but that's what sells these days, isn't it? I don't care much for how this reflects on magic now and, especially, how it will impact the world of magic for the future (magic on TV for instance.)

But to paraphrase one of my favorite quotes, the solution to bad magic is not ripping CA's guts out, hoisting him on the end of a tall pole and setting him on fire, it's more good magic. Or something like that.

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » April 25th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It was reported that Cirque took out an enormous insurance policy should Angel not be able to complete his contract. That's their insurance ... literally.

I wonder what the underwriters at Lloyds thought when they took their first gander at the party whose performance guaranty they wrote?

I bet that they "reinsured" 90% of the coverage faster than a bookie who had taken a $1M bet on a WWF tag team match would lay it off with a 21st century counterpart of Gilbert "The Brain" Beckley.

All done before you could say "Presto!"

And they are likely having nightmares about the 10% of the paper they are still holding :cry: on this bird after all of his recent press

Lloyds once had a policy of ringing a ship's bell one time on their floor when one of their insured ships landed in Davy Jones's Locker.

When this guy goes sour it will likely be announced by the sound of a pistol shot in each participating member's private office echoed by the same in the billiard rooms of the "Names" around the globe.

Image "I fantasize about you at night, Richard K.!"
"A sound magician is a mighty god."
-Christopher Marlowe

JimChristianson

Postby JimChristianson » April 25th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I'd venture to guess that, while Criss "can't be replaced" per the contract, there's a sunset provision for that particular clause if he quits by his own volition. Cirque would be idiots if there isn't.

Failing that, I'm sure they've already figured out ways to alter the show with existing characters whose roles would be expanded to fill the void, should Criss bail.

If not, well, it's their Cirque du Funeral.

JimChristianson

Postby JimChristianson » April 25th, 2008, 7:30 pm

....or Funeral du Soliel, if you will.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » April 25th, 2008, 8:00 pm

This week The Luxor emailed me with an offer to purchase ticket to his "preview show" at a 25% discount. So, it looks like the show is about ready.
Jim

Return to “Buzz”