Rip-off of Derren Brown ?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Rip-off of Derren Brown ?

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2003, 9:15 am

Late last night I was at my girlfreind's watching the learning channel when I happened apon a special dealing with poeple of strange abilities and tallents. There was a contortionist, a human magnet, and even a mentalist.
The teaser for the mental segment anounced that in england "there is a man who can control your mind", and I thought "wow! maybee it's derren brown". The anouncer exclaimed that the man used skills gained from psychology and neuro-linguistic programing, and I thought "Wow, it could be derren brown!" The segment of the special was even called "MIND CONTROL" and I thought "it's got to be derren brown!" On my television appeared a man off in the distance, well dressed in a dark wool overcoat and I thought "it is Derren Brown, he's even got a goatee!" But ya know what? It wern't never Derren Brown at awlll! Did anyone else see this? Who was this guy (I can't even remember his name)? He even did the same psychological esp card test that derren performs on the Channel four web site for the MIND CONTROL SERIES. Inspiration is one thing, but carbon copy imitation??!!!

Jer.

Jon Allen

Re: Rip-off of Derren Brown ?

Postby Jon Allen » May 14th, 2003, 4:51 pm

There are a few mentalists in the UK it could be. Any idea what the guy looked like? Any clues?

IanB

Postby IanB » May 15th, 2003, 8:51 am

Perhaps Chan Canasta making a comeback? Now he really could control your mind.

To be fair to this guy, there's only so much you can do on the ESP Match-Up front - it's hardly surprising in looked like the one Brown does.

Ian

Postby Guest » May 15th, 2003, 12:56 pm

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh here, but as for the esp card test, there is quite a lot that can be done. While the end result may be similar, there are many different methods. The test in question was definately the same one Mr. Brown does and involves five cards in a spread with the star placed centrally. Using varous psychological ploys the spectator is made to choose the star, not unlike the five card test with playing cards where the spectator is caused to choose the fourth card in a spread of five (I believe credited to vernon). Click here to see it performed and explained by Mr. brown web page channel 4 mind control home page

The test is identical. If I'm incorrect and The test is not credited to Derren Brown, then my appologies to the mentalist in question, but when you perform the same material using the same title (Mind Contol) for you act... well then it walks and talks like a duck!

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » May 15th, 2003, 2:44 pm

Here's the web site for the individual you folks are discussing.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

http://www.dimensionjez.co.uk/

IanB

Postby IanB » May 16th, 2003, 2:57 am

Apologies jiggy - I'm thinking of a different ESP effect. I believe DB has (on TV) done a version of Hen Fetsch's Symbologic where all 5 cards selected by the participant are predicted by the performer. Apparently he does a very clean version. This is obviously different - which goes to prove your point that you can do a variety of things in this genre.

Rgds,

Ian

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2003, 8:51 am

Originally posted by John Smetana:
Here's the web site for the individual you folks are discussing.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

http://www.dimensionjez.co.uk/
John,

I looked at the site and found it to be seriously lacking in any substantive information. Not even the photo of him sitting on what looked like a gravestone (albeit a decorative one) was really very not very clear either.

One would have hoped to see more info on what his show is about and some actual references, show photos, etc.

But if wishes were horses, even beggars would ride.

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2003, 5:27 pm

Ian,
I looked over my previos quote and feel I must appologise. When I said that I was being harsh with regards to the esp test, I meant that perhaps my judgement of the mentalist in question was hasty. I in no way meant to pass judgement on your post. I'm not sure if this is the impression you got or not, but upon review, I realized my language was unclear. Thanx for taking an interest in my post.

As for the mentalist in question, he is definately the guy John found on the net. I don't know how many people saw his performance on the Learning Channel, but despite my criticism of his style, he is obviously quite tallented . Hopefully he'll find a more original voice.

jer.

Return to “Buzz”