THANK YOU, RICHARD, AND ADIOS!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

THANK YOU, RICHARD, AND ADIOS!

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 12:59 am

Several years ago, I decided to experiment with participation on internet forums. The reasons for doing so arent really worth discussing at this time, but there have been some tangible results and conclusions drawn.

Anyway, with Richards new policy soon to be implemented and given that I probably wont become a subscriber to Genii (I dont question the value of Genii, but for a variety of reasons I dont subscribe to any magazines), it looks like my days of public internet communications are drawing to a close, so some parting comments seem in order if anyone cares to read what follows.

Although I have only participated substantially in two magic forums, I suspect Genii Forum has been the very best forum of its kind in magic.

First and foremost, many and sincere thanks go to Richard Kaufman for sponsoring and maintaining this forum. I have no idea how much work it takes, but Im sure its a major headache. In my opinion, Richard has good reason to be very proud of this board. Thank you, Richard.

Thanks also to Dustin Stinett and Jim Maloney for contributing their precious time to moderate this board.

I have benefited from participating on this board, and Id like to thank all of you who have answered my questions, responded to my polls, engaged me in friendly dialogue and debate, etc. I have made a few new friends via this board and hope to keep your friendship as time passes.

When posting here, I have nearly always tried to write clearly and amicably, and have also tried to make some worthy contributions. In a few cases, Ive engaged in some rather impolite exchanges. To the very, very few who have been on the receiving end of some pointed words, I hope that you will forgive and forget. In the long run, personal attacks are not productive, and I apologize to any of you who feel that I have been unfair or unkind to you.

I dont know if this means the end of my Librarium Magicum series here, but if Richard desires and so long as Magicols editors consent remains in place, I would be happy for it to continue running here.

Best wishes and thanks to all,

Clay Shevlin

P.S. I dont know if another thread has been started which has posts of thanks to Richard, but this is as good a thread as any if youd like to tell him thanks. CHS.

Re: THANK YOU, RICHARD, AND ADIOS!

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 6:34 am

its not the end of the world...

he says he will open the registration
to the public again.

I think I get his reasoning.
With the surge in new members now over
10,000 + when TMC was offline, it would be
easier to manage the forum if you weed
out the ones who haven't participated,
or hardly participated.

With a re-registering of the actual subscribers.
While gaining new subscriptions (which is a very
smart marketing move). The # might be low, but
it will be an efficient way to see how many
actual subscribers participate here.

Then for those of us who value the forum as a resource and interaction that actually participated will be able to re-register.

We know that not every 10,000+ member actually
participates here...Its hard to tell to see
which does, doesn't subscribe or both with out
wiping the slate clean and starting over.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 8:11 am

Not to be TOO overly dramatic, but....

"I'm ready for my close-up Mr Demille"...

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 15th, 2008, 9:25 am

And I thought there would be any Academy Award speeches. :rolleyes:
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 11:04 am

Originally posted by mai-ling:

[Richard] says he will open the registration to the public again...Then...those of us who value the forum as a resource and interaction [who] actually participated will be able to re-register.

Where did you get this information, mai-ling? I believe you will still need to have a subscription to register and post.

-

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 11:08 am

A memo to Clay Shevlin, Esq.

I, for one, will miss your presence on the Genii Forum.

Yes, I will still be able to read your column in MagiCol but your contributions to this website far exceed that particular effort.

You are a regulator in this space, Sir.

You are a resource of first order on the printed material of conjuring, and, speaking as an individual, I have benefited mightily from your bibliographic postings.

You shared your knowledge unselfishly without regard to the tepid response you often received when requesting a bit of assistance for yourself.

This forum will be the poorer in your absence.

I know that I will.

Please keep in touch by e-mail.

You know the e-mail address to my library.

Robert Newman, Esq.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 11:50 am

Quite right Wharton Doc.

Don't go changin', Mr. Tustin!

Davd Cox
castawaydave@usa.net

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Originally posted by Kevin Connolly:
And I thought there would be any Academy Award speeches. :rolleyes:
Kev, with the Writer's Guild strike and all, this is all we've got.... ;)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 15th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Genii readers only.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Genii readers only.
By that you mean, "subscribers" only, yes? Just to be clear to all ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 10:58 pm

While I read Geni, I will not subscribe. I rather have to option to buy an issue at my local magic shop that may have a story I want to read.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » January 18th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Is there no way to convince Magicam to stay on board? His writings are always informative, intereeting, and well thought out. It would be a shame to lose him and others whose rational discourse is always refreashing.

yeah, I'm actually four months behind on my reading and study, (I'm retired, and just can't find the time to ...... as Pete would say arrrgh!

GO

PS I felt so strongly about this I offered and paid for 1 subscription for somebody. :rolleyes:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 18th, 2008, 10:17 pm

I wrote Genii "readers" because that includes not only subscribers, but also people who buy monthly from a magic shop. I've had several people ask their dealers to e-mail me and verify that they buy every month--and those people have been approved for the Forum.
Subscribing to or buying Genii should be a no-brainer for anyone interested in magic. We pay writers, so that's a separate issue.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Cox

Postby John Cox » January 20th, 2008, 12:02 pm

I have to say that I do not get a lot out of some magic magazines and so I do not subscribe to them. However, I read Genii cover to cover including all the ads every month. I am very happy with the content and the quality and keep the issues for reference.

I am a bit puzzled by comments of those who apparently want to participate in this forum, occasionally buy and read Genii but won't subscribe? Most people pay more for a couple of tricks or a magic book or two than the subscription cost. Heck, some people pay more for their internet service for two moths than a subscription costs.

Puzzled John in VA
Keep it visual

Sal Perrotta

Postby Sal Perrotta » January 23rd, 2008, 10:24 pm

...As this is my first post on the NEW and IMPROVED GENII FORUM.....I would like to say that I will miss my old friend Clay! For the record Richard, I even offered to buy him a years subscription to GENII....but alas, he turned me down!

Return to “Buzz”