So you want to do a lecture.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Al Schneider

So you want to do a lecture.

Postby Al Schneider » May 27th, 2017, 8:03 pm

I am curious what you think.
I was approached by the club in Mpls, that I consider my home town, to do a lecture for the local club. I said yes. After some months of trying to fit such a lecture in with all the other magic events, a date was selected. Then recently I was told there were many conflicting events going on and sales for my event would not be good.

I have faced this problem for many years now. In days past, I could book a lecture anywhere and all would be good. Then things turned and it seems every kid wants to lecture and even the big kids want to lecture. Recently I got an invitation to buy tickets for a really high class magic show. Now I wonder.

All these people that are real performers and out there doing the real thing and by the way calling me an amateur because I don't perform professionally, seem to have lots of time to lecture about the great performers they are. And, curiously, lecture on Friday or Saturday night when one would think they would be doing some high buck gig. Hmmmmmmm.

Right now my universe does not include much magic so I am not complaining about it all. However, I was curious what the experts on this august forum might have to say about it.

Al Schneider
The single absolute truth is that we don't know.

performer

Re: So you want to do a lecture.

Postby performer » May 27th, 2017, 9:11 pm

I have no idea what to say except for one thing. I have read one of your books and like what you have to say. I would be very happy to watch one of your lectures.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » May 27th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Al, it must be about 40 years ago, that I saw you lecture in Chattanooga, TN. I still recall how many of us were impressed with the slow, precise handling of coins and actually seeing the "matrix guy" perform his baby.

A lot has changed in 40 years. I think the main reason there are so many lectures now, is pure old economics. I don't think a lot of these guys are doing nearly as well as they pretend.

Many lectures today stink. They have devolved into expensive dealer demos and lecture notes are priced like they are selling the Dead Sea Scrolls. Even worse, to me, is the best trick or two are not explained or are only available for purchase. I can give you several big names that do this and I think it just plain blows.

I recently had the opportunity to attend Tom Frank's lecture and I think, to a person, we all walked out feeling we got great value for or 25 bucks. No games, no hidden secrets to sell, just a thoughtful and well done demonstration from many years perfecting his craft - one he obviously loves. And even though he is a real professional, he didn't beat the audience over he head with that fact. Personally, I'm not impressed with a "professional" and I resent the looking down on the hobbyist or amature as something inferior. You've got it backwards fellers!

It looks tough to me, and I don't see a good way to rise above the noise. Come to Chicago, I believe you would get a good receprion.
Hell is empty and all of the devils are here. - William Shakespeare

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 27th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Steve Mills wrote:Many lectures today stink. They have devolved into expensive dealer demos and lecture notes are priced like they are selling the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Lecture notes? Who has lecture notes? Everyone has DVDs now. And I've more or less quit buying DVDs at lectures because I never get around to watching them. But I always read notes.

I recently had the opportunity to attend Tom Frank's lecture and I think, to a person, we all walked out feeling we got great value for or 25 bucks. No games, no hidden secrets to sell, just a thoughtful and well done demonstration from many years perfecting his craft - one he obviously loves.

Agreed. We hosted Tom a few weeks back, and it was really good. Solid material, good stories, well done.

And then Dan Fleshman came through town, on his way from one place to another, and we scheduled a short-notice lecture. Again, good stuff from a working pro. (and he had real paper lecture notes! Unfortunately, I had them all since I've seen him lecture several times before)

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 28th, 2017, 11:35 am

I am no "expert," but I am very surprised (bordering on shock) that members of the local magic club in Al's own hometown, or in any town, for that matter, who call themselves "magicians," would be too busy doing other things than to attend a lecture by the inventor of what is arguably the strongest coin routine ever, and certainly one of the most, if not thee most, performed coin effect. In case there's any magician on the planet who might be unaware of it, it's spelled M-A-T-R-I-X. There are now a gazillion variations of this incredible routine. Bill Malone, the consummate professional and brilliant scholar of magic, has said that he prefers to stay true to the routine as originally invented by Al. That is quite a testament to the beauty, ingenuity and magicaliTy of the routine.

And Al is not merely a one-trick pony, either, although I would be quite happy if I came up with Matrix, and never any other effect in my life. From what I have read and seen over the years, Al is a great magical thinker, and understands about very strong, magical effects, and getting right to the magic that people want to see. His performances are very direct and squeaky clean. I wouldn't let any rude egotistical "professionals" who look down on amateur magicians affect me if I were him.

In truth, there are many amateur performers who can run rings around many so-called professionals, especially certain professionals who believe they are God's gift to magic (and the World at large). Many of those very professionals are doing effects invented primarily by amateur magicians to whom they owe a debt of gratitude. Al's contribution to magic has been fabulous, and I would go to see him lecture anytime, and be thankful for the opportunity. IMHO, magicians should be honoring those who have dedicated so much of themselves to making such a wonderful contribution to out ART. I will step down from my soapbox now...

performer

Postby performer » May 28th, 2017, 11:47 am

I agree with Alfred. Even though I am a professional I never look down on amateurs as a lot of my colleagues do. Many of the pros seem to forget that a lot of the tricks they are doing were invented by amateurs. And a lot of pros are not that good anyway so they don't really have much to brag about. I will not name names but I still remember a very well known magic dealer who is still around giving me the impression he looked down at the pros rather than the amateurs. He told me he was fed up with the professionals coming into his shop bragging about how well they were doing and talking about themselves all the time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being an amateur and as I have often wistfully remarked I envy them.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » May 28th, 2017, 7:29 pm

I will often watch a lecture not in order to learn material that I will perform, but just to get to watch live performances from performers I want to see. Most I will never get a chance to see out in a true performance-only venue so I head to lectures to see them. Al Schneider is one I would definitely want to see. I have his 4-DVD set, The Al Schneider Technique, from L&L and his performances of moves which are certainly not easy are so smooth that I was amazed and impressed. To see this man live would be a treat.

Paul Amerson

Postby Paul Amerson » May 29th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Ever notice how many big name, working professionals need financial assistance when they have an illness or injury? How many have no savings but exude the image of a successful working pro?

performer

Postby performer » May 29th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Oh, most big name magicians are broke! I have always known that!

Return to “Buzz”