Amazing Jonathan announces he has a year to live

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brad Henderson

Amazing Jonathan announces he has a year to live

Postby Brad Henderson » October 24th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Amazing Jonathan announces he has a year to live

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 24th, 2014, 6:05 pm

I'm pretty sure that it is not new information that AJ has needed a new heart for quite some time. I'm far from his inner circle and I was aware of it and it was not "gossip." I interviewed him for a project a little more than a year ago and in our conversation he talked about it as if I already knew, though he really had no way of knowing whether or not I did had it been some kind of secret. So what I am finding confusing about this latest news is whether or not a new heart can save his life at this point, and that is not at all clear. I hope that it's not too late.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 24th, 2014, 6:16 pm

I apologize if this is old news. It seemed to be getting traction via social media sites, and I was unaware if it was known here. Feel free to delete it if you feel it is redundant or out of date.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 24th, 2014, 7:10 pm

No, no. It's not "old news" in this new regard. Like you said, this article is all over Facebook. That he has had a serious heart condition is not new news (I think it was Mike Rutherford [sp?] who broke the news in the Las Vegas press quite a long time ago).

I have been caught off guard by the number of magicians who apparently did not know. But what I am most confused about is that this new report makes it sound like there is no hope for him at all. It seems to me that he's been on the UNOS list for a long time. I hope that he is still a candidate.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 24th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Definitely not new "news." Heard about this at least two years ago, and not as if it was a secret. No chance for a heart transplant for reasons unclear to me.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 24th, 2014, 8:56 pm

AJ talks openly about his condition on his talk show of which there are 47 episodes online. There are some truly remarkable interviews and hilarious interchanges and I encourage you to watch them while they are available. Just go to burnunit.tv and click "Watch."That will bring up the lists of guests, some super famous and some not so but just as interesting. Yikes, I'm three episodes behind myself.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 25th, 2014, 9:00 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Definitely not new "news." Heard about this at least two years ago, and not as if it was a secret. No chance for a heart transplant for reasons unclear to me.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-bl ... h-problems

According to this article, AJ states he has diabetes that is precluding a heart transplant.

Diabetes is a relative contraindication to a heart transplant if it's severe enough to have already caused damage to other organs in the body (kidneys, nervous system, eyes). If he also has multiple other associated diseases that often run along with diabetes, that would probably keep him off the transplant list as well.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 25th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Mike Weatherford ... that's the guy. I think that there is a past article somewhere where he originally published the news as it seems to me that's how I found out. This revelation about not being a transplant candidate is new to me and it just plain sucks to hear it. Thanks for finding this E.

AJ, if you get to read this, we will always have the Mission Inn. I'm sorry you won't get your chapter in a Billy book, but it was not my doing (and it would have been a kick-ass chapter thanks to your interview, which was one of the best times I've ever had in bed). Take care and I hope each day you have left is a great one for you and Anastasia.

Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 25th, 2014, 12:53 pm

AJ and Anastasia's wedding pictures:

http://m.lvsun.com/photos/galleries/201 ... las-vegas/

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » October 26th, 2014, 10:10 am

There is an interview with him on the Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron. Only the most recent 50 episodes are available for free so people may want to download it soon.

Also, the Robin Williams episode is worth hearing with his comments on suicide.

Return to “Buzz”