What Are You Reading?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Lance Pierce

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Lance Pierce » October 1st, 2002, 8:04 am

Sheesh, Matt. Are you dating yourself or what?

L-

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2002, 10:01 am

Regarding the lapping comments, "The Magical World of Slydini" includes a rope routine (not C&R) that involves lapping as a concealment.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » November 13th, 2002, 1:13 pm

I just finished Aaron Fishers, "The Paper Engine," and while this has been stated in other threads, it bears repeating - this is a TERRIFIC little collection of card magic that engages both the hands and the mind! Even if you choose to forego putting in some practice-time learning the sleights, the virtually self-working "Search and Destroy" is well worth the price of the book!
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 13th, 2002, 11:28 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
...while this has been stated in other threads, it bears repeating - this is a TERRIFIC little collection of card magic
Amen Brother!
This is one book that I'll be re-reading for the next several months. It's value is far beyond what is written on it's pages.

The book inspires in many ways: "The Omen" is a very commercial presentation that could be handled many ways and even applied to other tricks. And as you note "Search And Destroy" is also very practical magic for workers.

There are utility moves (the Gravity Half Pass and the Diminishing Lift sequence) which will be used as is by the next generations of card workers until other handlings fade away. Like Latta's handling of Han Ping Chien they are destined to become standard methods.

But there is also the underlying philosophy of design in sleight of hand and the insistance on relaxed handing and the focus of attention on the audience.

None of this philosopy is new but to see it so fully explored by someone so young in the art is a happy discovery.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 14th, 2002, 7:56 am

I'm currently studying the Milton Kort book that was written by Stephen Minch and published by Hermetic Press fairly recently.Milton's "Copper/Silver the Director's Cut" is uncluttered, simple, and beautiful. His egg bag effect with a handkerchief is marvelous. Want to do a three ball routine with different color balls? Read this book. Kort's anecdotes about Cardini, Doctor Daley, and Paul Rosini are priceless. I love Milt Kort-and Stephen Minch is a swell guy too. :)

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 14th, 2002, 10:02 am

I'm currently studying the Milton Kort book authored by Stephen Minch and published by Hermetic Press. This is a fabulous text! Kort's Copper/Silver The Director's Cut is simple, elegant, yet beautiful. His multicolor three ball routine is a gemstone, as is his eggbag sans the bag (a handkerchief instead). Kort's anecdotes about Cardini, Doctor Daley, and Paul Rosini are priceless. Milt Kort is my kinda guy.

I recently read Houdini's Texas Tours: 1916 and 1923. Given that there was little to go on in researching this book except newspaper articles detailing Houdini's two stops in Texas, it's not bad. A must for Houdini fans. I don't have the author's name handy but this book was just published and is easy to locate.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2002, 6:14 pm

I'm currently reading "The art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick, the legendary hacker prosecuted in federal court.

This is the "steal this book" of the 21st century, and I'm amazed that such material is avalable to anybody with 20 bucks to buy the book. With the techniques described you can get anything on anybody or any organization under their own free will. It details how to detect and prevent "social engineering", and can be used either to prevent it or to implement it.

Absolutely fascinating, almost horrifying.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 15th, 2002, 7:07 am

Finished the Blaine book, started the Berglas book, also reading Houdini's "Unmasking of Robert-Houdin" in anticipation of the Fechner Robert-Houdin opus, just bought three Philip K. Dick reissues (inclding "The Man Who Japed" and "The Zap Gun"), eagerly awaiting the Darwin Ortiz book and the new Stanley Collins book by Edwin Dawes from Senor Kaufman which contains two unpublished Collins books and a CD-ROM (I edited the Collins opus).

In between -- reading the new Genii (naturally) and the new Penumbra. I read Jamy Ian Swiss's book "Shattering Illusions" when I proofread it.

Matt Field

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 15th, 2002, 7:22 am

Thanks for the tip on the "Gymnastic Aces" Richard. I'm the proud owner of the late great Mike Rogers copy of the LePaul book. Replete with his name stamped inside. Wow. I'm currently reading The Magic of Milt Kort. This man is fabulous; his anecdotes of Cardini, Dr. Daley, and Paul Rosini are priceless. This is a wonderful book. :)

David Acer

Postby David Acer » November 21st, 2002, 11:45 am

I also enjoyed KORT, and I find that Stephen Minch has become particularly adept at capturing the soul of the performer in his text, in addition to the practical matters of technique.

Energized by Aaron Fisher's THE PAPER ENGINE, I decided to read more books devoted solely to card magic. Last night, I finished off THE ELEGANT CARD MAGIC OF FATHER CYPRIAN (Garcia, 1980), and found both "The Solid Gold Prediction" and "Hofzinser's Departure" to be distinctive little gems.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 21st, 2002, 10:50 pm

Still/Again reading "The Paper Engine".

Also, re-reading the Nash trilogy. The past couple days: "Sleight Unseen"

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » November 22nd, 2002, 9:03 am

I'm reading a curious little book called "The Conjurer's Vade Mecum" by J.F. Orrin. "Vade Mecum," at least according to my son, means "Go With," and since the book is small enough to fit in purse or pocket, I'd imagine that "The Portable Conjurer" captures the sense of the title. On the surface, it's hard to imagine any occasions that would require the magician to pull out an instruction book and consult it, which would seem to render the portability pointless. Yet, in this day of the ever-more-gigantic magic book, it's nice to have some magic to read on an airplane.

On the Book-of-the-Month thread about Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook," Richard Hatch mentions that it was one of a series of "Amateur Handbooks." It's the same with the "Vade Mecum." The book contains advertising for "The Poultry Keeper's Vade Mecum," "The Typist's Vade Mecum," "The Laughter Lover's Vade Mecum," and "The Bee-Keeper's Vade Mecum." I can only assume that poultry keepers, typists, laughter lovers, and bee-keepers are just as glad to have something to read on the airplane.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 22nd, 2002, 3:18 pm

Originally posted by Lisa Cousins:
"Vade Mecum," at least according to my son, means "Go With,"
Hi Lisa,

I think your son is quite close: I'm pretty sure it means, "Go with me."

Taking a magic book out to "check the instructions" has been a comedy gag that's been around for a while – so there is one good reason for portability. However, decorum prevents me from imagining where you might keep it while resplendent in the mystic sparkly gown!

Dustin

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2002, 6:58 pm

On a rope around the neck, Dustin! It's where I keep mine!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 23rd, 2002, 3:51 pm

Originally posted by Asrah:
On a rope around the neck, Dustin!
Yeah - well it seems that I have given myself enough with which to hang myself!

I just made arrangements to pick up a copy of this little book that Lisa is talking about. Her post intrigued me enough to look into acquiring a copy for my collection.

Speaking of diminutive books, I also have a copy of Hoyle's Games from 1866. It's a mere 5" x 3" in size. Of course there was good reason for this: sporting men of the period could easily keep it in their coat pocket.

Though not quite as small, Card Stunts for Kiddies (U.S. Playing Card Co. 1923) is another small book - perfect for the "instruction" gag. No tricks, but I loved the title!

Dustin

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » November 23rd, 2002, 7:00 pm

Hang on just a sec, Dustin, and let me consult my son's report card - let's see:

LATIN: B

Well, that explains it. I really should have done that before trusting his translation.

My favorite chapter is the one entitled "Pretty Tricks," which, according to the author, are "particularly suitable for presentation by lady conjurers, of which, by the way, there are all too few."

I was making that exact point to Cindy Stinett at the Magic Castle, when Dustin went off to "take a powder." So, Dustin - if you've lately come upon Cindy with a deck of cards in her hands which go nervously flying about the room at your unexpected entrance and which she hurriedly attributes to "um, a relaxing game of solitaire," or if you catch her busily toying with rope and she jumps at your presence and says that she was just thinking of "er, a fun game for us to try, honey" - well, there's more going on than meets the eye.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 23rd, 2002, 10:37 pm

Oh man...does that ever explain a lot just recently...

:)

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » November 28th, 2002, 9:45 am

Just finished Michael Crichton's PREY, easily his best since JURASSIC PARK. What a thriller. Not really magic (or is it? readers will decide), but a great way to pass the time while waiting for the Ortiz and Carney books.

troublewit

Postby troublewit » November 28th, 2002, 3:56 pm

"Miser's Dream" monologue by Patrick Page...(about my 5th time through..a great reference and inspiration point for the routine)....David Ben's Lecture notes.."A Platform of Miracles".. for a refresher on his "Conjourer's Dream", and reading through "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz for the 3rd time in 3 years...Thought provoking. Also, reading through my old JI Swiss essays which have recently been reprinted.
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2002, 10:40 am

i am currently reading
Charlie Miller's Left-handed Hank written by Ron Bauer
Tarbell course in Magic vol. 1
1971 Linking rings

and some non-magic books

Chuck

David Acer

Postby David Acer » December 3rd, 2002, 1:36 pm

Its a shame that Martin Breeses books dont get around more in North America. After having read (and enjoyed) David Britlands EQUINOX, I decided to explore some other Breese publications, starting with Jack Yates, CLUE, AND OTHER MYSTERIES. This little collection contains some wonderful material that actually reminds me of Barrie Richardsons work. The opening trick, "Monty," is an absolute killer: three spectators each choose a card, then exchange them so that no one has his original selection, whereupon you tell each spectator the identity of his card! And bear in mind, the cards are not marked, and you dont watch as the exchanges are made!

The title trick ("Clue") is also excellent (trivia break: Can you cite two other magic books that were named after a title trick?). One of 6 spectators secretly chooses a black poker chip among five whites, and is thus deemed "the murderer" at a mystery party. All six chips are freely chosen, and you really have no idea who picked the black one, yet you are instantly able to determine which of the six audience members committed the murder. If I were doing "Killer Red Caps," Id be inclined to replace it with this trick immediately.

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2002, 5:43 pm

Sounds like a good book, David.
Trivia answer: Doug Edwards PACKS A WALLOP and Jim Steinmeyer STRANGE POWER.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » December 4th, 2002, 1:44 am

David,

Eric Mason's "Stuff" is another book published by Martin Breese that's apparently packed with solid material.

Are you, or is anyone else for that matter, familiar with the contents of "Stuff"?

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » December 4th, 2002, 10:21 am

I read "Prey," too. Good book. I have also been reading Phil Goldstein's Focus, which has lots of good card magic. Fun.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » December 4th, 2002, 4:08 pm

Hi John,

I haven't read Mason's STUFF, but Simon Lovell had it on his Top 10 List of Favorite Books in a Genii article I wrote not too long ago called "Books Vs. Videos."

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » December 4th, 2002, 4:46 pm

David! "Books vs. Videos" is a GREAT article! I just re-read it - I don't know, three days ago? A week? Well, whatever it was, it was recent enough to make me shocked to see you mention it here. It's in the August 7, 2000 issue (I was consulting the Adelaide Herrmann cover story when I came upon it), and I had a blast looking through everyone's choices. More than two years have gone by since it appeared, and my expanded knowledge of the books cited and the people polled made it that much tastier this time around.

And yeah, it made me come up with my own "Top Ten" - but I suppose that's another thread!

Lisa

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » December 4th, 2002, 5:16 pm

Well...I've bought a lot of books recently, but not sure when I'll actually be reading them...

In the past week, however, I devoured Jamy Ian Swiss's new book, "Shattering Illusions," and Eugene Burger and Robert Neale's "Magic and Meaning." Lots to think about in both of those books. I may be starting new threads on some topics from them.

Currently, I'm working through J.G. Thompson's "Top Secrets of Magic" Vols 1-3. Right off the bat, the very first trick in the very first volume struck me as being very good..."Challenge Blindold Card Routine."

-Jim

David Acer

Postby David Acer » December 20th, 2002, 10:52 am

I recently picked up copies of two Ben Harris books I hadnt read - FOR CLOSE-UP MAGICIANS EYES ONLY (1981) and MAD FAX AND OTHER MYSTERIES (1990), and found no small number of gems inside. In the former, I particularly enjoyed "Super Slice" and "Incision," and in the latter (which is now my favourite of Bens books), I loved "Mental Photography" (a terrific trick in which three spectators each select one of three photographs that are special to you in some way, whereupon you are able to determine who is holding which photo in a devious fashion); "Through The Universe Backwards," an excellent (and highly visual) colour-changing deck routine; and "The Strange Little House Upon The Hill," which is by far the strongest Card In Matchbox I have ever seen.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2002, 11:25 am

I am reading a wonderful book called "The Long and the Short of it"
It is the best book ever written on the Svengali Deck.
I know the author personally and can vouch for the fact that he has performed this trick more than any living soul.
I wonder if anyone else has this book and can confirm my good opinion of it?

Mark Lewis
www.Marklewisentertainment.com

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » December 20th, 2002, 2:34 pm

Mark,

One of my worst enemies enjoyed reading it. Apparently, it was money well spent.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2002, 3:22 pm

Hallelujah!
Thank you Craig.
Your message is a bit cryptic though. Your worst enemy? I am not sure if I should be complimented or not.
Your name seems to ring a bell with me though. I must check something out.My curiousity has got the better of me.

Mark Lewis
www.marklewisentertainment.com

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2002, 4:17 pm

Oh, now I understand!
Don't worry, Craig! Your secret is safe with me. I would hate you to get a bad name.
That reminds me. There is someone else here who is looking in with great fear and trepidation lest I reveal my association.
Don't worry. I won't say a word. Reputations can be lost with great rapidity in the magic world if anyone dares to admit that they know me.
I have no idea why, of course.

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » December 20th, 2002, 4:25 pm

LOL! ;)

Return to “General”