September Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

September Genii

Postby Frank Dudgeon » August 17th, 2006, 2:50 am

Just got the September Genii yesterday. Haven't had time to settle in and read it, but it looks great. However, I had to play the DVD that comes with it. What a treat!

I won't tip what it it is for those who haven't received their Genii yet, but you'll like it.

Thanks to all at Genii for a terrific magazine.

frank Dudgeon

Re: September Genii

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 3:17 am

Thanks for not tipping anything Frank. Great post :confused:

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » August 17th, 2006, 3:33 am

Sorry if I was a tad obscure. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. (Maybe I need another cup of coffee).

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 5:08 am

Originally posted by Frank Dudgeon:
... I had to play the DVD that comes with it. What a treat!

I won't tip what it it is for those who haven't received their Genii yet, but you'll like it.
Agreed, the DVD is a fun watch and the movie trailer got me ready to see that film, hopefully this weekend.

I appreciate that those involved permitted the recreation of an illusion long gone to be filmed and distributed via the magazine.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 5:27 am

Is this thread going to turn into "torture those who have not received their September Genii"?

How about a bit more information on the DVD and who is on the cover?

Thanks.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 5:38 am

Originally posted by pierredan:
...How about a bit more information on the DVD and who is on the cover?
How about enjoying the goodies when they arrive?

Why spoil surprises?

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 6:00 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
[b] ...How about a bit more information on the DVD and who is on the cover?
How about enjoying the goodies when they arrive?

Why spoil surprises? [/b]
Jonathan,

I have never received my Genii before the cover and features were posted on the Genii website. There is never a "surprise" by the time the magazine arrives at my house.

If you want to show off that you received your Genii before many others, fine. But don't pretend that youre doing me a favour by encouraging me to wait for the goodies to arrive.

I didnt realize that newly released issues of Genii were to be kept a secret in the same way as the Protocols of the Elders of Magic.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » August 17th, 2006, 6:20 am

The September issue of Genii arrived yesterday on the south banks of the Potomac and I would predict this one will become a collectable classic! Super job Richard !!!

:genii: :D
Bill Wells

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 6:29 am

I have never received my Genii before the cover and features were posted on the Genii website. There is never a "surprise" by the time the magazine arrives at my house. ...
Ahh... then I'll keep quiet about contents. My intent was to encourage the non-subscribers to go get this issue.

Please chime in when yours arrives.

Here's hoping the rest of the gang will also permit you to be surprised.

:help:

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 6:36 am

Let me guess... A whole issue dedicated to quotes about magic being dead?
:sleep:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 17th, 2006, 7:51 am

The September issue features a cover story by Jim Steinmeyer on his resurection of a 130 year old illusion (not seen in a century): ANOTHER MAN CUT UP TONIGHT! Fun and games and lots of dismemberment.

And, the issue includes a DVD of the illusion's performance, as well as the trailer for the new film The Illusionist (opening Friday) thanks to the folks at Murphy's Magic who sponsored its production.

And it has a wonderful memorial article about Tommy Wonder AND Jonathan Townsend's original coins across routine from which all versions of 3 Fly have been spawned.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 8:10 am

Thanks Richard.

Month afer month, Im never disappointed with Genii.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 10:52 am

Just received mine an hour ago. Another great issue. Reading through the Townsend article I kept feeling his pictures reminded me of someone, but couldn't figure out who. Then, when I saw illustration #36, it clicked -

Jonathan Townsend could be Christopher Walken's brother.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 10:56 am

I'm very impressed. What a great magazine! It seems to get better and better.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 11:06 am

Does September issue have Jamy's book review of Ascanio Volume 2?

When I finally got to meet Jamy last month he said he and Richard were trying to schedule his review close to the book's release date.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 17th, 2006, 11:19 am

Does September issue have Jamy's book review of Ascanio Volume 2?
Yes, it does.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 12:16 pm

even thought i intend to get Ascanio's book #2, i still wanted to read the review by Mr. Swiss. now i can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 4:24 pm

My Genii came in Richmond,Virginia today. Mr.

Towsend , I'm sorry your picture is not on the

cover. The Illusion's picture is. Your picture is

on the cover of the cover. So you guys last month

that wanted to tear it off, don't.It's the first

picture I've ever seen of him. I've seen his name

in print since the 80's but never seen his

picture.But if you do tear it off there are 23

more inside, I don't think he looks like

Christopher Walken though . More like Kevin

Spacey.I loved the DVD .I used to see it I

thought done by Dr. Lynn and I never thought it

would fool anyone.Thanks .Richard now I've seen it

Mike

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Originally posted by Mike Walsh II:
So you guys last month that wanted to tear it off, don't.
Seeing how the first ad supplement/wrap was sub par in quality compared to the imaging/paper stock used in the rest of the magazine, I'll have no problem with immediately tearing it off and binning it. Especially if the same image (or similar images) are reproduced inside at the usual excellent quality. The ads that are inside the magazine proper will stay with it and likely get attention each time I pick up the magazine to read it. The ads on the wrap will be lucky to get a quick glance as I throw the whole wrap away. Why not just add an extra ad page or two to the inside of the magazine if they're needed rather than saddling readers with this nuisance?

The wrap/ad looks and feels cheap, not to mention making it feel like one is wrapping ones hands around a grocery sack rather than a nice smooth cover. It's a shame that this little extraneous (and oddly shaped) ad generator needs to be attached to a magazine that otherwise has stellar production values.

If the (ugh) wrap/ad has to be there every month, any chance it could be perforated for easy removal? Or printed on the same glossy stock as the normal cover? Why not just do a full second cover with the same stock if it's got to be there?

It'll be very interesting to see a piece on Jon Townsends work though. Sounds like something worth waiting for (since my local post office generally doesn't deliver Genii until the end of each month).

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Frank,

You're a cruel man. You have me all excited about the September Genii and I'm at the ranch and my latest Genii is at the house in Valley Grande, where that mail goes. Perhaps having duplicate subscriptions is not a bad idea!

This one sounds like another great one.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2006, 9:11 am

Richard,

Many, many thanks to you, Jim and the folks at Murphy's for the gift of the CD! As a magic-history enthusiast, to be able to witness 'Palingenesia' for myself is quite exciting.

In this day and age of amazing cinematic special effects, it is more of a challenge than ever to truly dazzle and mystify a live audience...particularly on an emotional level. Horrific scenes are so common in movies that it is easy to distance ourselves emotionally from the macabre.

Curiously, in light of the recent terrible beheadings of innocent victims by terrorists...I believe I got an accurate glimpse of the emotional impact that theatre audiences surely felt all those decades ago.

Watching 'Palingenesia', I was enthralled and eerily disturbed simultaneously.

Again, thank you for the gift.

Best,
Mick Ayres

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 18th, 2006, 11:23 am

Having witnessed the performance "live" (obviously, since about half the photos in the magazine were taken by yours truly) I can say that this was one of the most amazing demonstrations Steinmeyer and Co., have produced.

Having someone SO INTERESTED in the history of the art is a treat for all of us and should be admired.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2006, 12:16 am

Outstanding issue Mr. Kaufman!!!! I really enjoyed reading Townsend's "Evolution of Coins Across". Many props to you!!

Glen

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2006, 6:50 pm

This is a top notch issue. There was so much to enjoy. Paligenesia is really great. And to see the article about Jonathan's Coins Across was a nice surprise.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 23rd, 2006, 9:41 am

Wow! I finally got around to watching the Paligenesia dvd. Incredible. One of the best surprises yet from Genii. Loved the writing, Neil Patrick Harris, Jonathan Levit, Steve Minch's laugh. What a pity to not have similar footage of the Hooker rising cards, the Blue Room, and other exhibitions from this conference. Keep it up!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 23rd, 2006, 10:57 am

Dude you opened a HUGE WOUND in my body... I didn't get to see the Hooker Rising Cards as I was in Mexico and the border crossing took so long I couldn't get the the conference on time.
Stay tooned.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » August 23rd, 2006, 11:18 am

Originally posted by Steve Bryant:
What a pity to not have similar footage of the Hooker rising cards, the Blue Room, and other exhibitions from this conference. Keep it up!
Didn't the The Blue Room illusion that they perform at the conference appeared on a NBC magic special about 9 or 10 years ago?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2006, 11:21 am

Yes, it did. But you really had to see that one live.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 11:36 am

The Blue Room illusion can be found on Lance Burton's "Secrets of Magic" DVD. See the reviews here and then buy it for a ridiculously low $5.99 from Deep Discount DVD

I'm sure it's more impressive live but it's still mindblowing on the DVD.

The DVD also has some other gems on there such as (if my memory serves correctly) some great card work by Steve Forte.

Chris

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 11:39 am

The Hooker Rising Cards, must have been taped, during The Conference, or by Mr. Gaughn himself.
It would be great if either that footage could be released, or at least be screened, at a future Conference.

I have heard some say, seeing the Hooker Rising Cards, was a/the highlight of their life in magic!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2006, 2:54 pm

Seeing the Hooker Rising Cards was, no doubt, a magical highlight. If it was filmed by the conference, it will never be released, and it is doubtful that they'll perform it again. From what I understand it was a huge amount of work.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 3:31 pm

I hope this positive response will encourage additional offerings of their works.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 3:39 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
it will never be released
Are you refering to the recording of the performance or the method?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 23rd, 2006, 3:53 pm

When I went over to Gaughan's the Hooker stuff was all taken apart and scattered about. John said, "never again."
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2006, 5:17 pm

Both--neither the recording nor the method will be published or released.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 23rd, 2006, 7:07 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
When I went over to Gaughan's the Hooker stuff was all taken apart and scattered about.
Petes post might give some the notion that this priceless equipment is just laying about his shop. It is neatly boxed up and the boxes are laying about his shop!

Dustin

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 7:37 pm

Both--neither the recording nor the method will be published or released.
Oh? Any particular reason? Shame to see a nice card trick made inaccessible.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 23rd, 2006, 10:30 pm

Just adds to the mystique.... Man you ought to see what R. Paul Wilson is doing with the latest JB Magic coins for 3F... and more. Whew! He killed both of us (Dean Dill) with his handlings today (among other things).
Stay tooned.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » August 24th, 2006, 7:47 am

Yes, it did. But you really had to see that one live.
Ah Man, I wish I could.
I would have love to seen The Witch,the Sailor and the Enchanted Monkey performed.
Because my old boss when I worked at his shop many years ago ,Ted Carrothers had the Original.He always wanted to perform it but never did.
Man was that heavy!!
He had it fix about 20 years ago by a man named Hank deKat. I helped him carry it in his shop.
Ted got the cabinet from a man name Richard Heinemann.
Ted told me of a crazy stunt that Heinemann and him were
thinking of doing. Taking the cabinet to Abbott's and burn it for gods on magic. Ya I know crazy.But Ted was kind of joking too.
The mirror need to be replace it was cracked.
So part of the original mirror is framed and now hangs in Ted's wife's living room.

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2006, 9:59 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
[b] Both--neither the recording nor the method will be published or released.
Oh? Any particular reason? Shame to see a nice card trick made inaccessible. [/b]
Shame that nobody gets to see the performance, I agree. But I see no reason why anybody should ever feel that they ought to publish the method of any of their effects.

Dave

Return to “General”