Irv Weiner

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Irv Weiner

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Don't be a whiner. And that's how it should be pronounced: whiner.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2007, 2:03 pm

Speaking of weeners...

Contact Magic, Inc. I know for a fact they have, well had, a whole section of Irv Weiner material (tricks, manuscripts, etc.)up until just recently.

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » August 16th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Don't be a whiner. And that's how it should be pronounced: whiner.
Actually it should be pronounced "MISTER" Whiner. ;)

I have fond memories of working with "Mr. Fingers" for years here in Boston, and having him teach me how to take the simplest of effects and make them play for the largest crowds. More importantly, he taught me the importance of having the audience CARE about YOU, with the magic becoming secondary to the show. I only knew Irv for the last 10 years or so of his life, but he was an excellent teacher and a thoughtful mentor.

Before I knew Irv, I knew OF Irv, but had never met him. In my early twenties, I had been asked to teach a monthly workshop at the local S.A.M. meetings (as the new up-and-comer). It was nerve-wracking enough to have Ray Goulet, General Grant, Dave Cresey, Parker Swan, Alan Wassilak and the boys there each month. They would watch, crack jokes and interject when needed, of course.

There was also this little, old character in the back who would always wait until the right moment, and ask the perfect questions. Sometimes I had the answers, other times, I was wrong and he would gently, yet firmly correct me. After six or seven of these monthly workshops went by, I finally had the guts to ask who he was. Needless to say, it was humbling and exciting at the same time to find out it was Irv Weiner. He continued to show up for my monthly workshops, and over the years constantly encouraged me to keep teaching.

I learned a lot more about magic from Irv than simply the tricks. I learned how to be a real magician.

On a similar note, a young boy has just started attending our local S.Y.M. meetings. On his first visit to a meeting, he said that his grandfather was a magician (what kid's grandfather WASN'T a magician?!). He said his grandfather had invented many magic tricks (again, what grandfather hadn't?). I told him that I knew a lot of magicians in the area, and asked his grandfather's name. He said, "oh, you wouldn't have heard of him. He was just my grandpa. But his name was Irv - Irv Weiner."

Talk about full-circle.

- DO
- DO

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Man, am I ever glad that Quentin re-activated this thread! What wonderful memories of a wonderful man.

As I began reading it, I thought of all the words of praise I could share with all of you, but happily, many of you beat me to it. His generosity, his inventiveness, his technical skill and his wondrous story-telling skill are now becoming legendary.

But I can add a bit. First, it may have not been clear why he was called Mr. Fingers. It was not because of his sleight-of-hand skills. He had told me and others, that, as was mentioned above, both his parents were deaf and mute, and they communicated with sign language. His friends all saw him talking with his fingers and so well before he was a professional magician he became known as Mr. Fingers.

When he and I were performing in the same town in Florida, he insisted that I come over to see his afternoon college show. Everything was as reported here by others -- Mr. Fingers held the rowdy day-time cafeteria audience in the palm of his hand. By that time, the late 1970s I believe, he was moving heavily into mentalism. His effects bewildered the audience -- and me. Even though we were friends, I did not (could not) ask him for explanations. I thought those would come in their time. But his protracted illness soon took hold, and then he was gone. I dont know how much is revealed in his many publications, but he did tell me that most of the good stuff was not in print.

A final couple of memories about Irv and the PEA. Few of our current members realize that he was instrumental in the success of the organization in its early years. He absolutely loved attending our yearly conferences. It was at one of those that I picture the entire group (may 50 or so back then) gathered around a lecture table as Irv closed his session with one of his story pieces. Eyes twinkling, voice soft, then softer still, the piece -- something about lovers and losing love -- ended in a tear-inducing whisper. Pause. Silence. Followed by eruptive applause.

He and I were friendly competitors on the college circuit. We both worked those NACA booking conventions hard, doing hour after hour of close-up stuff in our booths for the college delegates. Entertainers fought for each booking, because any booking could be the start of a series of yearly bookings at that school, or it could be the start of a valuable block booking within a geographic area. In other words, you never turned down an offer. One day Irv called me over to his booth. He showed me his calendar, which he, unlike most of us who didnt want the delegates to see our many open dates, kept out for all to see. There were all the gigs he had, and then he pointed out that he had blocked out the dates for the PEA convention! I too enjoyed the camaraderie, but I certainly was not prepared to turn down college gigs in order to be with other mentalists! He loved the PEA and now I love it too. And as Ive gotten older, I realize what he knew back then -- that sometimes, being with your close friends is an immeasurable reward.

He was a treasure.

Ken

Mitch Dutton

Postby Mitch Dutton » August 17th, 2007, 7:34 pm

You can read an article by Eugene Burger and his thoughts/encounters with "Mr. Fingers" here:

http://www.lanceburton.com/learn/oView.php?id=7

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2007, 1:52 am

Thank you so much Mitch for the link. Inspiring.

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2007, 9:52 am

How might one go about seeing video of Mr. Weiner?

Thanks,

Kranzo

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2007, 11:45 am

It sounds to me that, while they must have had two totally different performing personalities, that Irv Weiner's style is probably similar to that of Barrie Richardson's.

Barrie is a master of small effects playing to very large audiences as well using stories and drama that touch audiences on an emotional level.

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2007, 1:52 pm

I had doubles of several Irv Weiver booklets and they are posted on ebay. Here is a link to one and from there you can see the rest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

All the best,

Kranzo

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2007, 1:29 pm

So no known videos of Mr. Weiner?

All the best,

Kranzo

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » August 31st, 2007, 5:39 pm

Here's a wonderful Irv Weiner story from one of the early PEA conventions.

There was a panel discussion on dealing with the press, with several members claiming expertise on how to handle a hostile reporter. It was all quite academic until a new member, Ward Lucas, stood up and said he was an investigative reporter for a Denver TV station and invited any PEA member to get up on stage and sit for a Lucas interview.

Well, Ward took each volunteer apart like Mike Wallace working over a thieving CEO. It was truly humbling watching a professional ply his trade. Then, from the back of the room, Irv asked if he could take the stage with Ward for an interview. In about 60 seconds, Irv was in total control. He came across as such a warm, kind, caring, fun person, that pretty soon he had the attack dog eating out of his hand.

I guess after a cafeteria full of snotty college students, a reporter ain't nothin'.

Bob

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2007, 8:40 pm

Fantastic story!

Kranzo

Nathan Kranzo

Postby Nathan Kranzo » August 30th, 2008, 4:20 pm

For all those Irv Weiner fans here is a lot of his material.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=004

Thomas S.

Postby Thomas S. » September 9th, 2011, 4:45 am

I know this is a very old thread but I thought those in the thread would like to see the video I have of Irv Weiner performing. It is a short performance, 15 minutes or so, and he performs for his sister on her 70th birthday. The video was recorded by my mother, I was 4 at the time, and it's basically a family video. But as I haven't seen any other video of Mr. Fingers online anywhere I thought I'd share it. The link is here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=j3-WChpEKzM and his performance starts at 22:35.

I am family of Irv, he was the brother of my great grandmother, and he was a delight to have around the family on the few times I got to talk with him. I really appreciate this thread as it was really nice to be able to see that other people appreciated him as well and that he had an impact on others lives. Have a great day all!
Last edited by Thomas S. on September 10th, 2011, 1:53 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: fix link

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » September 9th, 2011, 10:14 am

Thomas - Thanks for the trip down memory lane. This was around the time that Irv and I became friends, and he forever influenced my career as a magician. He was a joy to watch, and his lessons were many. You (and "Mr. Fingers") made me smile today. Thank you for sharing.
- DO

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » September 9th, 2011, 1:13 pm

wow!!
Thank you so much

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 9th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Thanks! I've been pronouncing his name incorrectly all these years. And I didn't know why he was called Mr. Fingers. Very nice.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » September 10th, 2011, 10:28 am

When I was a snotty nosed 16 year old kid, I thought I knew it all, after only two or three years in magic. A friend attending Drake college said there was a magician appearing there. With a crazy name like "Mr. Fingers", we weren't expecting much. Boy, were we wrong. Irv Weiner's show still is one of the best magic shows that I have ever seen. Simple things made into miracles, and a personality that I loved, and kept me totally enthralled. I wish I could see that show all over again. He really is an example of the kind of performer that I want to be. I only wish I could have spent some time with him afterwards, but alas, I never met him again..... Mr. Fingers was great!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 10th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Just wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing that.

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » September 10th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I saw him twice and met him once. My first time was a lot like John's. I was at SMU in Dallas in the early 70's and saw a flyer for Mr. Fingers' show in the student union and went thinking it was going to be a joke with a name like that , but of course it was terrific. Then, about 15 years later he came to my home town of Springfield, MO and I went to see him. Ben Stone (of Delben fame) knew Irv and we took him back to his hotel and we sat in the lobby for about 2 hours talking and doing magic. His miracle move was brilliant. I have a photo that Del Stone took of Ben, Irv and me with Irv showing me his arm where the needle went through with Ben and me both with an affectionate smile on our faces as even to us he was playing it for real. He was such a pleasure to be around and I still treasure the autographed charcoal drawing hanging on my wall that he so graciously gave me. I wish there were more Irv Wieners around today.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Someone has the rights to all of his material for a book. It might be L&L--it's been many years and I can't remember.

Gene Maze always spoke very highly of Irv Weiner, and as a Bostonian, Gene always prounced his name "Whiner."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 10th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Yes, that's how Irv pronounces the name himself on the video.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » September 10th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Phil Wilmarth told me he had the rights to all of Irv's stuff about a year ago.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » September 12th, 2011, 12:38 am

In reading through this thread, I just realized something.

I've often been asked what got me started in Magic. I started learning magic after my first semester at college when I found a copy of "Now you see it" by Bill Tarr in a bookstore on Christmas break. But I was never able to remember why I was interested enough in magic to buy the book and start learning.

But now, now I remember seeing Mr. Fingers. He performed twice at the college I was attending--once in the first semester, and again about a year later. I have a strong memory of the second time being after I started learning sleight of hand, and following some of what he was doing until he got to the mentalism--where he lost me completely.

Thinking back on it, I think it was seeing Irv Weiner that made me notice the book and start on this wonderful journey.

I got to see him lecture at Magic, Inc many years later, but I never realized I had him to thank.

Thanks Mr. Fingers.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 12th, 2011, 8:26 am

There was a convention in Boston years ago, based on Vernon's farewell lecture tour. Also on the bill, a couple of "local boys," Irv Weiner and Sid Radner. Most of the early buzz was about the Professor, but after all was said and done, the talk was about Irv's lecture and Sid's gambling demo.
Does anyone know if Phil Wilmarth intends to do anything with
Irv's material?

fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby fredreisz » September 13th, 2011, 3:01 am

It is such a wonderful thing to see all this recognition and these remembrances of Irv Weiner. I was a younger (not any more) member of magic groups in Boston for the period 1978-1992. During some of those years, Irv would pop up at a meeting or perform and occasionally lecture. Of course the oldtimers knew who he was....slowly I learned. He was always patient in teaching and generous in revealing some of his stuff. He was impish! He was devious in performance...the work was often done before you knew anything much was happening. He was charming in performing. It amazed me as he aged that he would go on college campuses and absolutely charm and blow them away.

I was never "mentored" by him. He did not know who I was. BUT I was thoroughly "mentored" by him in those years.

Those of us who have "gone through" Boston may revere the magic "greats" who were (and are) there. Irv was at the top level of that list. Peace..Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » September 15th, 2011, 9:33 pm

I think Phil is working on a book but he has so many projects. Which reminds me I owe him some photos I have of Irv doing a college show.

Richard
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 15th, 2011, 11:30 pm

I just searched Genii and was surprised not to find any extended articles on Irv Weiner.

RK, would there be a possibility for a Genii article in the future? From the tone of this thread, it sounds like there would be a lot of interest.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » September 16th, 2011, 3:22 am

It seems to be difficult to find an article about irv Weiner.

There is one by Jim Mosley in MUM no. 5, october 1972 entitled ''Irv Weiner Honored'' and one in The Linking Ring No. 2, February 1976, ''An Evening with Irv Weiner''.

He is on the cover of The Linking Ring no. 9 de september 1983 with an article page 40 by Phil Willmarth

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » October 9th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Hi, Thomas S. - I had previously opened your video link to watch my old friend, Irv perform at his sister's 70th party. It was a wonderful trip down memory lane. I tried to open the link today, to share it with someone who just asked me about Irv, and the link is no longer viable. Is it linked elsewhere, or is it possible to upload it again? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
- DO

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » October 9th, 2012, 10:00 pm

I just spoke with Phil tonight. He is still planning to do a book on Irv. I was fortunate enough to see his college show three or four times and was enough with it to appreciate and understand what he was doing. I have a lot of photos of Irv doing some of those shows that I plan on giving Phil to use.

Video would be neat to see also.

Richard
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

Return to “General”