Paul Daniels Videos

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Paul Daniels Videos

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2002, 12:22 pm

Hi all, Can anyone tell me were i can get videos of one of my magic heroes Paul Daniels.

Best Regards

Re: Paul Daniels Videos

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2002, 2:23 pm

Originally posted by James Owen:
Hi all, Can anyone tell me were i can get videos of one of my magic heroes Paul Daniels.

Best Regards
I have an original PAL VHS videotape called "The very best of the Paul Daniels magic show" for sale at 10 including UK carriage.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 6th, 2002, 10:26 pm

The Very Best of Paul Daniels. Hmmm, I didn't know they made 20 hour tapes! :p
Stay tooned.

mop krayz

Postby mop krayz » December 7th, 2002, 2:11 am

I found the "best of video" some years ago from the local one pound shop! It is 1 hour long.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 7th, 2002, 9:34 am

Of course I was kidding... altho Paul could probably do 100 hours of great stuff. :rolleyes:

I have about 3 hours of his shows from the Canadian Broadcasts.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2002, 12:14 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Of course I was kidding... altho Paul could probably do 100 hours of great stuff. :rolleyes:

I have about 3 hours of his shows from the Canadian Broadcasts.
Good recovery. You were nearly off the Christmas card list then :D

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2002, 10:10 am

I have everyone of his Secrets show and about 10 tapes of his old Paul Daniels show. The only problem is I am in the US and I have them on PAL. I can not find anywhere that charges a reasonable price to transfer them from PAL to NTSC.

Have you read his autobiography? Very interesting...in the first chapter he talks about a bomb hitting his house during the war just minutes after they left to go accross the road to a friends house. Almost no Paul Daniels...that would have been a tragidy.

Does anyone have a copy of the recent show he did - showing him traveling to dodgy bars in poor US towns?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 11th, 2002, 10:24 am

Jason, it might be cheaper to buy a vcr that plays pal tapes. I think it is Panasonic. They havae one where I used to work. It PLAYS all formats, from anywhere as long as they are vhs size.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2002, 11:35 am

It has beena while, but I once discoverd a Daniels web site in Eng. and chatted with him via e-mail. He was talking about letting magic slide for a time while he helped his daughter get her start in show business; I guess that was about one year ago. Can't recall if the reason I had contacted him was to purchase tapes, but I do recall having not succeeded; though graciously from him.
Marty Kaplan

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 11th, 2002, 11:55 am

Actually, Paul Daniels was working with Debbie, his wife... producing a show called Ballet Imaginaire. The first season didn't do what they had hoped, they were hit with the worst weather in recent memory.

Paul had a firm auction off most of his massive collection.

16 years with his own shows on the BBC left Paul in a very comfortable position.

He (I believe after his Mum died--she lived in a guest house adjacent to the main house) sold his huge home--which he had purchased from Roger Moore and moved into smaller, more comfortable digs.

He drives a Bentley, does a number of "One Man Shows" (anecdotal story telling with some magic) all over the UK and plays golf--weather permitting. :cool:
Stay tooned.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » December 12th, 2002, 6:03 am

Jamed, I have a bunch already transfered to NTSC. What have you got to trade?
---I also have him doing a crazy Heineken commercial, where he is singing a Carpenter's song way off key! "If you don't buy more Heinekens now, I will keep on singing" It is a three part commercial, very funny. I also have him on the Britsh chat show (A little help Brits). The host's name escapes me now, but he was seen driving the limo in a recent Madonna video, ( a hip-hop wanna-be white guy that says he's black).They talk about Copperhead being a proofta...Daniels holds his own, doen't commit. It really is a old vs. new Chat Host Cat fight! His tapes can be found on the market, probably in Pal format only... What's his name?? Arie or something. He never really made it in the states, but probably could have.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2002, 6:09 am

You are talking about Ali G. He made he big in England and Australia, but never big in the US. Very funny comedian.

Do you have the Secrets shows or old Paul Daniels shows?

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » December 12th, 2002, 7:32 am

Yeah, Ali G.! Very funny guy. I have several Paul Daniels shows, but mainly the "Best Of" probably entries for Awards show. "Secrets" does not sound familiar. I also have "It's Magic" or the "Best of Magic" that had many shows in the UK. It was hosted by Geoffrey Durham, and two others. I have many of them transfered from Pal. I'll trade for Christmas out-takes...if you know what I mean...
---Ali G. is a terrific personality, why don't you think he ever translated to America? I think the only time I saw him on NTSC television was an MTV Awards show. They probably put him on, so that they could land a deal with him in the UK.. I don't think the American kids know him...

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2002, 7:38 am

In regard to Ali G not taking off in the States, I think the problem is that he uses a lot of British street slang which very few people in the US know. He also makes a lot of references to British specific things, which if you have not lived in England you would not understand. The Aussies, however use a lot of similar street slang to the Brits and have a lot more ties to England (such as the Queen), so it translates well to them. I set up a DVD player to read UK DVDs especially to watch Ali G. He is very funny.

Bob Klase

Postby Bob Klase » December 12th, 2002, 8:34 am

Jason, it might be cheaper to buy a vcr that plays pal tapes
If you buy a VCR that plays PAL tapes then you'll also need a TV that is PAL compatable. If you don't have a multisystem TV then you should look for a VCR that also converts the signal to NTSC so your regular TV can play it (and that would also allow you to copy them onto another tape which could then be played on your NTSC vcr).

Converting VCRs are generally expensive (over $600), but I just did a quick google search and found one for $350 at http://www.110220volts.com/multisystem_ ... system.htm

I've seen video conversion services from around $15 to $25 (or more) per 2 hour tape. If you only have a few tapes in PAL that would be a cheaper option, but if you have have a significant number of PAL videos it might be worth the $350.

Bob Klase

Return to “General”