Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Re: John Edward's "Crossing Over"

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2007, 8:38 pm

What number am I thinking of?

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » April 12th, 2007, 8:48 pm

John Wilson writes:
Also) The good news is, in the future we will make a device to recover the time wasted on this thread. [/b]
Too late John. That device is called "the off button."

John

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2007, 9:44 pm

First: YEAH! Take that Stinett, you fascist overlord!! The King Genii over-ruled you: even though you CLAIMED to have predicted that, I bet you didn't. HAH! What a total burn.

Next: Mr. Browning wrote (paraphrase) "...genius=atheism..."? Dude, you better pick your spots better than that...and "slander"?! Come on. Really, I mean come ON.

Bravo LightsOut in NYC: ANY proof, however piss-poor would be better than nothing, which is what we have gotten here so far, other than bluster about "slander"...ANYTHING...No? Only deafening-silence punctuated by the chirping of crickets? High-falutin' rhetoric not enough?...Huh--interestingly, I predicted THAT.

Echoing DeeBrennan: A fundamental misunderstanding about sceptics has been repeated here ad nauseum (by certain wannabes): that they (sceptics) are "bitter and empty" and not open to the bigger spiritual picture. What a crock. NOONE is more eager for an encounter with a ghost than am I--I can't WAIT for the chance to witness some (ANY) supernatural happening.

Unfortunately, much like Harry Houdini (who wanted so badly to believe, to communicate with his departed Mother) I am tired of [censored] and other rip-off artists with NO ACTUAL "POWERS" trying to pass themselves off as The Real Deal.

--Of course, no offense intended, Real Deal.
I am sure, based on your posts that you not only predicted this jibe, but that you "help" countless appreciative (paying) customers all the time.

P.S. Dustin, you KNOW I was only joking, right? Right, buddy? Fascist is a term of endearment... :o xoxo
I promise to make it up to you, poopsie...(smooch smooch).

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 12th, 2007, 9:54 pm

I have been called a fascist countless times, but never a fascist overlord. I love it! Finally a new one for the list! Thanks Dave!

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2007, 10:32 pm

I believe the full title is Dark Fascist Overlord.

(There will be no living with him now.)

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2007, 10:45 pm

Craig wrote:
But I also stand on the premise that folks have the right to feel safe in their beliefs, especially in this country, and not be slandered and mocked in a most cruel manner by those thinking themselves superior simply because they are non-believers and deluded by the idea the "genius" equates to atheism or some such.

Craig, whatever are you talking about? Safe in their beliefs? Do you mean safe from the proselytizers who knock on our doors and want us to join this church or that, telling us that we are WRONG without even knowing what it is we believe? Are you talking about being safe from those people?

If so, Im all for it cause Im tired of them bringing me to the door when Im havin a peaceful meal and them trying to sell me something they know little about.

Genius equates to atheism? What the hell does that mean? A high IQ does not automatically mean a lack of belief. Most of the Founding Fathers, many well above genius, were Deists.. (although Adams was a Unitarian and its hard to know what they believe.) ;)

One of the greatest geniuses of all time, Isaac Newton, believed in a non-interventionist God, so I dont find your idea holding much water.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 1:40 am

I recently read a book filled with the replies of scientists to the question, "what do you know that you cannot prove?" The biologists and anthropologists almost all said "that there is no god." The physicists and cosmologists almost all said, "that there is a god or creative force of some kind." While this does not constitue proof, it does demonstrate that IQ and faith are not necessarily related. I would consider myself a person of faith, albeit a faith much different than the average joe. However, my faith has absolutely nothing to do with a belief in psychics or magicians or tarot card readers or palmists or any such fake ass nonsense. Again, believe it if you must, just don't try to sell your BS to people who, at least, should know better.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 4:20 am

It may be that I am not getting the point here, but aside from claiming to be a real psychic what has Mr. Browning done wrong?

Many of the posts against him (IMHO) have been outright attacks. Mr. Browning may be a nut job for all I know of the fella and there may be more going on behind the screen than I am unaware of, however some of your posts have been nothing more than playground bullying. (How much more childish can you get than giving him a nick name?)
Stinks like the cafe to me.

I agree that Edward and Van Pragh, etc. are frauds. I'm not sure if they should be tortured, shot and killed but it's wrong to do what it is that they do.

The line between fraud vs realism is a major consideration for any one playing the mentalist/psychic reader/medium role. I for one would rather not come out and say, "I'm a fake and here is my little fakeity, fake, fake mind reading act."

I wonder...WWRHD? (What Would Robert-Houdin Do?)

Elliot G

PS Mr. Browning, I think you are fighting a loosing battle here on the Genii Forum. In fact I think that at least one of these posters wants to punch you in the nose. :rolleyes:

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 13th, 2007, 4:38 am

The thread started about Edwards and how he uses third part information to hawk his wares to get money from desparate people.

Craig then gave us this snippet:

But I do want to stress a couple of things...Firstly, I'm all for going after anyone that's a genuine predator I don't care if they call themselves Psychics or if they claim to be the Pope, if they are abusing folks with deliberate intent, bust them! Tar & feather them... Hang'm from the highest tree. BUT LEAVE THE LITTLE GUYS ALONE!

There really are honest people doing honest and very sincere work when it comes to being a Reader or counselor and there are many reasons why the public trusts us over those pedigreed and certified types... but then statistically they trust their barbers, favorite bartenders and total strangers more than they do clerics and shrinks. In all truth, they/we do some good and too, even the shut-eyes out there keep their eyes peeled and their ear's opened when it comes to the more agressive and dangerous predators... the one's that give everyone a bad name.

which seems to say we should ignore the non famous people who use cold reading techniques to 'councel' people.

He then went on to say that anyone who hasn't had a firearm drawn on them shouldn't talk to him about the subject, because he's done some good work for the police.

He then pretty much called everyone who disagrees with him a cynic, while refusing to give any evidence to support his position.

An old interview was brought up where Craig seemed to claim to be a genuine psychic, something he has denied off and on in the thread. When called on this he has either evaded the issue, or told us he plans to address that discrepancy in an upcoming book, which will take at least two years to arrive. Whereas he could just adress it here.

Don't you just miss Soap?

This kind of discussion pops up on fora every now and again, and it's often the case when someone does not prove their point it's usually because they cannot prove it. If Craig wanted to put all the 'empty' cynics in their places he could do so in a trice by providing some evidence. The fact that he has not done so tells me that he cannot. The rest is bluster.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 7:04 am

Bill wrote>>>What number am I thinking of?>>>

I see a "6"....and....it looks like....a "9".

Here's my beef. Cold reading is cold reading. Dewey said so, and I trust his judgement. Cold reading doesn't involve "intuition" because intuition implies knowledge that's not apparent, and for whic there is no observable evidence.

Cold readers look at things like fingernails, jewelry, SS#, weight, height, ethnicity, clothing, looks, etc, ad nauseum, and arrive at certain generalizations based on knowledge of accumulated statistical probabilities.

There's no 'intuition' involved in being able to predict that a homeless-looking guy with an empty styrofoam cup just might ask me for spare change.

So people who use these techniques are frauds, pure and simple. They attribute a certain Sherlock Holmes-like ability to make deductions to something other than accumulated statistical data.

When you add in Dewey's "I'll re-charge this crystal with psychic energy for you anytime you run into me....$45, please," the level of fraud intensifies.

Now, does that mean that Craig's advice is no good? That he doesn't actually help people? No, it doesn't. His advice may be spot-on every single time.

But here's the thing...Many people are willing to pay $45 to get a "Consultation With A Psychic" because there's an implication of a certain amount of supernatural mojo, no matter how man shifty disclaimers the reader uses to be able to hold his head up.

On the other hand, most people wouldn't pay 45 cents for a "Consultation With A Nice, Rented Friend."

(Unless, of course, it's the kind of 'consultation' you can only legally get in Nevada counties with no cities having a population of over 1,000,000.)

So, assuming Craig's advice IS golden, is the deception---explicit or implied--an end that justifies the means?

P&L
D

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 8:54 am

Let's look at some selected definitions from American Heritage Dictionary -

Entertain -
To hold the attention of with something amusing or diverting

Magician -
1. A sorcerer; wizard.
2. One who performs magic for entertainment or diversion (I think most us are in this camp)

Psychic -
A person apparently responsive to psychic forces
(Apparently...)

Mentalism -
The belief that some mental pheonomena cannot be explained by physical laws
(science cannot explain...)

Parapsychology -
The study of hte evidence for psychological phenomena, such as telepathy, clairvoyance, and psychokinesis, that are inexplicable by science.
(science cannot explain...)

Philosophy -
Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge of values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods. (...logical reasoning ..)

Empircal -
Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment.(...scientific method..)

Faith -
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Belief -
Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons.

Proof -
The evidence or argument that compels the mind to accept an assertion as true.

Assertions -
1. Most magicians and mentalists are just entertainers. Perfomance is just entertainment.
2. A few (many?)mentalists/readers deceive people under pretense of being the "real deal" and give advice.
3. Readers cause harm to the naive by this deception (money for nothing?)
4. Some (many?)Readers really Believe in their powers.
5. Some Readers really think they help people by their counsel.
6. Some people really think they are helped by Readers.
7. There has yet to be validated scientific proof for this psychic phenomena.
8. Anecdotal "evidence" is not compelling proof.
9. We despise people who prey on the innocent.

By the way - today is Friday the 13th.....

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 9:47 am

Thanks for re-opening this thread Richard. Now Craig can come back and prove his powers to us all and shut up the non-believers. I know he'll do it. I know he will! That's not a prediction, I just have faith in his awesome power.

By the way, Craigers, I found some more libel against you in that article. It says:

By night, he's a "psychic entertainer," doing events including 12-person sance dinner parties at a new restaurant on West Street, the Antiques Caf.

Since you're really psychic that shouldn't be in quotes. It should read:

By night, he's a psychic "entertainer," doing events including 12-person sance dinner parties at a new restaurant on West Street, the Antiques Caf.

I know that was years ago, but you should still get them to print a correction.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Happy Friday the 13th, non-believers!
Here's a gift from the great beyond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCiYqGrUr_M

P.S.: I predict THE Dark Fascist Overlord will deem this completely inappropriate, despite the healing it would provide people...Viva Stevie Ray!!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 13th, 2007, 10:02 pm

More evidence that precognition is bunk: I found that to be quite appropriate (not to mention entertaining).

DFO

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Well, HOT DAMN!! Who SAID Geniuses got no soul??!

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 10:35 pm

The Dark Fascist Overlord has many souls. Your's may be next if you overstep his boundries.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 14th, 2007, 12:37 am

Nope. Like most people, I only have two; though they often act as if they are on the same side, particularly when Im dancing.

DFO

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 14th, 2007, 1:22 am

I still miss SRV...

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 8:39 am

Did you guys know that Craig Browning predicted the death of Stevie Ray Vaughan? 4 weeks before he died Craig predicted a volcano eruption. Yes! Another hit for Craigers!

Behold the Power!

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 1:35 pm

DeeBrennan
Bill wrote>>>What number am I thinking of?>>>

I see a "6"....and....it looks like....a "9".
I was thinking of 186,282.

But your divination and my number both have a "6" in them, so we'll count that as a "hit".

P.S. Any progress on getting back the "reply with quotes" feature? I miss it . . .

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » April 14th, 2007, 1:54 pm

That is the tightest any rhythm section could possibly hope to play together. Crankin' a groove and proving that there is indeed hope for artists creating together. They let their fingers do the talking and no one's making any claims, except in the pre-written patter of Wonder. Art from collaboration . . . much like the possibilities from a magic forum.
www.KeithTheMagician.com
www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
I was thinking of 186,282.

That is not just a good thought, but THE LAW!

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 6:05 pm

It's all relative, cats and chicks. :cool: Just don't rip anybody off.

"For those who understand, there is no difference between the past, the present, and the future."--Albert Einstein

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 11:08 pm

castawaydave wrote:
"For those who understand, there is no difference between the past, the present, and the future."--Albert Einstein

Since Einstein's brain is floating in a couple of hundred pieces in a formalin solution, he'd probably disagree with himself these days.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 6:53 am

Sooooo, you mised it.

Ah well, you ALMOST got 9/11....

D

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 8:14 am

My interest in this thread is the very reason I joined here. I do agree with the gentleman who commented a few posts back that there seems to be some outright bullying here.

As a psychic reader of some standing I find this deplorable and for those of you who may respond to me by demanding that I offer proof of my ability I shall merely say that I DON'T HAVE TO and neither does Mr Browning. We get enough money from those who do not challenge so we don't bloody need you.

If however you are still insistent on these matters I shall merely request payment in advance and I suggest Mr Browning does likewise. Then I shall provide as much evidence as you require.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 8:35 am

Hmmm, I think the person who has consistently thrown around words like "Terrorist" and "Hate" is the one doing the bullying.

I would never ask you to practice your trade for free. I'm all ABOUT commerce. But surely there is a public record of some prognostication you've made in advance of it's occurance? Some newspaper, perhaps, that has your prediction in an issue dated well before the event?

Craig didn't fare so well on that, but I'm certain you can do better.

How much do you charge for a reading? I'd be willing to pitch in for one prediction THAT COMES TRUE. (You wouldn't ask us to pay you to fail, would you? We've had enough of that from the current administration.)

P&L
D

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » April 17th, 2007, 10:47 am

"We get enough money from those that do not challenge..."
Barton, you said a mouthful
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 10:56 am

Yes. I did say a mouthful and no doubt I shall say more. One does have to balance the uninformed mouthfuls coming out from others who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the psychic business. Poor Mr Browning despite his loquaciousness is a trifle outnumbered here.

Never fear Mr Browning. I will make a psychic prediction that soon everyone will be pleading desperately for me to say less.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 10:57 am

I will make a psychic prediction that soon everyone will be pleading desperately for me to say less. >>>

Oh.....Hi Mark.

P&L
D

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 11:23 am

Regrettably your psychic powers are NOT working. You have just hinted at an extraordinary claim yet have not produced extraordinary evidence.

For the record you are WRONG. I rather think you need to develop your intuition further.

With regard to your request about newspaper articles with specific predictions that have come true I have reams of them. I would be delighted to furnish copies of them to you. However I am sure you would appreciate that this would be somewhat time consuming for me and I would therefore require a fee payable in advance.

As for my fees for readings I am afraid that I double them for sceptics because of all the negative energy present.

As for predictions that come true from readings done I would say my batting average is 70%.

We are ALL psychic. When I am in the mood I may describe how it works. Nothing supernatural about it at all. In fact it is as natural as breathing.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 11:39 am

>>>With regard to your request about newspaper articles with specific predictions that have come true I have reams of them. I would be delighted to furnish copies of them to you. However I am sure you would appreciate that this would be somewhat time consuming for me and I would therefore require a fee payable in advance.>>>

Indeed! I would never dream of inconveniencing you. Simply give me the name the newspaper articles called you by, and I will be HAPPY to do the research. That's all I need, the name.

(Oh, if you give me a time period in years and any other keywords that effortlessly come to mind, that would help. But all I need is the name.)

That way, we can all revel in your successes and spit in the faces of those who REFUSE to believe.

P&L
D

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 11:57 am

Sorry. No money in your suggestion. You would be amazed at how inconvenienced I can be when the gelt is forthcoming.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 12:01 pm

:sleep:

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 12:04 pm

Castaway Dave has obviously just come from a convention for mentalists.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 17th, 2007, 12:09 pm

Why am I suddenly reminded of the Augean stables?

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 12:26 pm

"no money"?!?!?

Then I would suggest you have no imagination or flair for PR. (I think it's fair to assume you DO make predictions for PR purposes, otherwise there would be no newspaper records of successful predictions, nicht wahr?)

Imagine PR value in being the ONE psychic who brought the "sceptics" (sic-yours)to their knees! You'd make a fortune from other psychics alone.

So, c'mon, just the name. Otherwise, you're just a nameless, faceless online sockpuppet, with the credibility that goes along with it.

Several steps BELOW Craig, actually, who at least has the nads to stand up for what he believes in.

D

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 12:40 pm

I see that Mr Kendall is talking in the Scottish language and regretfully I do not understand him. My psychic powers do have limitations sometimes.

As for Mr Brennan I see he is losing his temper. Always a sign of someone losing an argument. No matter. He will soon be running to his mother for consolation when I am finished with him.

However I shall give him a few moments to calm himself and regain the contrived politeness and appearance of false civility. However I rather think he has blown it. Of course I am psychic and knew perfectly well he would. My first premonition on this forum.

I rather think I have provided the proof he asked for. The trouble is that he hasn't paid me. No matter. His irritation has been worth it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 17th, 2007, 12:58 pm

It's a reference from Greek and/or Roman mythology.

They were full of [censored].

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2007, 1:04 pm

How profound and profane. I thank you for the translation.

Return to “General”