I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS MATTER! EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS POST AND FORWARD MESSAGE

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS MATTER! EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS POST AND FORWARD MESSAGE

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 26th, 2002, 7:39 am

The imposter who made several posts under my name on this Forum today also registered on www.themagiccafe.com and made other posts there under my name. The owner there, Steve, was on the alert and booted the guy and deleted the posts.
I have, reluctantly, decided to make the following policy for myself: if you EVER see anyone posting under my name on any other board OTHER than the Genii Forum, rest assured that it is not me, but an imposter. Because of this incident, the only way to ensure that everyone knows posts such as these are not made by me, is for me to NEVER post on another board. I haven't posted on other boards very often since starting the Forum, but I will now make it a policy never to do it again.
So, I have a favor to ask of every member of this forum: if you belong to any other discussion boards on the net, or know of any other discussions boards, please write the administrators an e-mail and tell them that if ANYONE has registered under my name, or posts under my name, that person is an imposter and is to be deleted immediately.
Thanks for your help!
Richard Kaufman
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS MATTER! EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS POST AND FORWARD MESSAGE

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 26th, 2002, 7:56 am

Richard,
I'm one of the moderators over at the Kevin James Board, so I'll keep an eye out for anything there. I'll also alert the other moderators to this.

-Jim

Richard James

Re: I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS MATTER! EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS POST AND FORWARD MESSAGE

Postby Richard James » June 26th, 2002, 11:17 am

I'm the Administrator over at http://www.connoisseur-conjuring.org.uk and I'll be sure to watch out for, and remove, any posts by anyone calling themselves Richard Kaufman.

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2002, 3:15 pm

For what it's worth, I saw the imposter's posts last night, and didn't for a minute think that it was you, Richard. For one thing, on the entry banner when I logged onto Genii forum, there was a Richard Kaufman and a RICHARD KAUFMAN online at the same time, and I couldn't think of a reason why you'd register as a second person of the same name.

I have a pretty good guess as to whom it was though.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2002, 2:46 am

I'm a Moderator of UK's MagicTricks board.

If I find any such postings there, I'll deal with them promptly and I'll let you know, Richard.

Dave

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 28th, 2002, 11:30 am

Richard -- I would just like to confirm that you have not posted a message about an imposter on other boards. There have been posts on both MagicTalk and The Kevin James Board in the past day or so warning people of an imposter. At first, I thought it was you, but then I remembered you saying that you wouldn't post on any other boards. Can you just confirm this for me so I can have appropriate actions taken at those boards? Thanks.

-Jim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 28th, 2002, 1:53 pm

Jim,
I have NOT posted any messages on any other boards, though I have asked other webmasters to post messages advising people that ANY post on ANY other board that uses my name is to be reported immediately and then deleted, since I didn't write it.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 28th, 2002, 1:58 pm

That's what I figured, Richard. I'll make sure this guy is taken care of at KJ and MT.

For your reference, here are the two threads in question, though I assume they will be deleted shortly:

"Richard Kaufman" at Magic Talk

and

"Richard Kaufman" at The Kevin James Board

Thanks,
Jim

Richard James

Postby Richard James » June 29th, 2002, 3:47 am

Richard Kaufman...

Just to let you know that the imposter has just joined us over at Connoisseur Conjuring .

I immediately removed him and if he/she registers again I will BLOCK anyone from using the name Richard Kaufman.

Also, it is pretty obvious that he/she has some kind of 'beef' with you as they also included a rather rude 'picture' of you in their profile. I still have a copy of the picture, and you are welcome to a copy of it... if it is of use to you?

Oh, and I have just noticed that the picture/drawing has been SIGNED by the artist! Might give you a clue as to who the imposter is?

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » June 29th, 2002, 6:17 am

I have been informed by an administrator at Magic Talk that the imposter there was using an IP address that is located in Mexico.

IP address: 200.23.209.209

The whois lookup shows:

ITESM Campus Monterrey/MEXnet (NETBLK-MEXNET-BLK)
Av. Eugenio Garza Sada 2501 Sur
Monterrey, NL 64849
MX

Estafeta Mexicana S.A de C.V. (NET-ESTAFETA-MX)
Hamburgo 1014
Mexico, D.F., 06600
MX

Hope this helps.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 29th, 2002, 4:04 pm

I want to thank everyone for their cooperation in continuing to block the efforts of this person who is trying to steal my identity in cyberspace! Please continue to be vigilant and, I repeat, if you see ANYONE using my name on ANY board other than the Genii Forum, please notify the webmaster immediately because the person is an imposter. I will NOT make any posts to any other boards.
Many thanks.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2002, 7:21 pm

I just think it's a shame that you can no longer post at other sites under your own name. I've never seen anyone impersonating you out there,but have run across a couple of David Blaines.Will be on the lookout in the future.

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2002, 8:23 pm

And of course the last two were fake, unless Richard had his name changed to include two "n"'s.

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2002, 10:04 pm

If everyone will remember that Richard Kaufman is member number 3, and that he has posted over 1200 posts on the forum, the imposter will be fairly easy to spot. That last false post listed totals posts of 1. Clearly not our fearless leader.

To the real Richard: is there anything that can be done about this? I'm sure that many of us stand ready to help.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » July 5th, 2002, 6:19 pm

It's worse than you think Richard, the scurvy dog impersonated me after claiming I impersonated you. Since I can't spell your last name right I don't think I even could have done it in my sleep.
Steve V
Steve V

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2002, 3:32 pm

This topic is now locked. All references to Mark Lewis have been deleted, and he has been locked off the board (at least under the name Ronnie McLeod).

Return to “General”