RE: the first issue of Genii, 1936

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
k410

RE: the first issue of Genii, 1936

Postby k410 » January 19th, 2024, 8:08 pm

Wow! Finally had a look at the first issue in the Archives and learned more than I expected but am not sure I can put it all into words.

Initially I was curious to see what products might have been advertised, and it was interesting to see that it was mostly sponsor ads helping to launch the publication.

Also interesting that so much of the original structure and format has survived to the present day.

Good to see some "names" involved in 1936 that I would later learn about in the early 70s when I first subscribed as a young teenager.

Also interesting to notice the style of writing and tone of banter, as well as concern for people in the greater magical family, and some technical things (that I cannot discuss in expert mode) about the layout in general, such as fonts and borders.

On a tangent: perhaps like some others, I'm looking forward to the centenary of Amazing Stories in 2026, which reminds me that Genii is almost but not quite 90 years old! Hoping that Genii and I are both still around for Genii's centenary in 2036!

Return to “General”