What ever happened to John Cornelius?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
erdnasephile

What ever happened to John Cornelius?

Postby erdnasephile » October 28th, 2017, 10:23 am

Back in the day, John Cornelius released some amazing magic: "Fickle Nickle", "Marked", and "Pen Through Anything" to name a few.

However, I haven't seen or read much about him for several years.

I was wondering what became of him, and if he is still performing and creating great magic.

Thanks!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: What ever happened to John Cornelius?

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2017, 11:47 am

John is still around. He wanted to lecture at the Genii Convention this year, but we were already fully booked.
He's one of the people who has given up putting things on the market because of copying.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 7th, 2017, 9:30 pm

I found his book to be a mixed bag but there are gems like his Slow Motion Coin Vanish and a diabolical use of a shiner out in plain site to glimpse selected cards that I've never seen anywhere else. The candid photos of magic and entertainment legends are also wonderful.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 8th, 2017, 2:06 am

Thanks! His book just arrived at my house, so I'll be sure to look those up. I still think "Fickle Nickel" is still remarkablly brilliant after all these years.

I hope to see him one day at a convention. Sad that the copyists drove him out of the market.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » November 8th, 2017, 10:47 am

John gave a fantastic lecture at the Florida Close-up and Parlor Convention hosted by Magicpalooza in May. Some lovely work. I definitely recommend booking him to anyone hosting a magic event/convention.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 8th, 2017, 4:23 pm

He is highly inventive and a very smooth performer - immaculate technique.

Years ago, he custom made a "Pen through Anything" for me with a Mont Blanc pen! I have never had a better tip-maker. Borrowed a $20 and more often than not got to keep it. Very rarely does anyone ever ask to see the pen; I guess because it's a Mont Blanc. But if someone happens to ask, a sleeving move I learned off an old Carl Cloutier video comes in very handy. I also got one of John's Thought Transformers (Peek wallet) over 20 years ago that still works to this day, and a couple years ago, I picked up his Thought Transformer II, which I like even better.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 8th, 2017, 4:26 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:He is highly inventive and a very smooth performer - immaculate technique.

Years ago, he custom made a "Pen through Anything" for me with a Mont Blanc pen! I have never had a better tip-maker. Borrowed a $20 and more often than not got to keep it. Very rarely does anyone ever ask to see the pen; I guess because it's a Mont Blanc. But if someone happens to ask, a sleeving move I learned off an old Carl Cloutier video comes in very handy. I also got one of John's Thought Transformers (p_ _k wallet) over 20 years ago that still works to this day, and a couple years ago, I picked up his Thought Transformer II, which I like even better.

Krenz
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder and Juan Tamariz

Postby Krenz » November 17th, 2017, 4:39 pm

John is still actively creating magic. He recently sent me an effect asking if I had any ideas on presentations.

Return to “General”