Genii Convention

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Bill Mullins

Genii Convention

Postby Bill Mullins » October 6th, 2017, 1:11 am

So how's it going (for those of us who aren't in Orlando?)
Lecture/show highlights?
Best thing seen in the lobby?
Best new trick in the dealer's room?

Jack Shalom

Re: Genii Convention

Postby Jack Shalom » October 6th, 2017, 7:03 am

David Blaine. Every one's jaws dropped but his. His were sewn shut.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 6th, 2017, 7:49 am

Bill Mullins wrote:So how's it going (for those of us who aren't in Orlando?)
Lecture/show highlights?
Best thing seen in the lobby?
Best new trick in the dealer's room?

Would also love to read everyone's impressions as well please. Thanks!

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » October 6th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Loving me some (as in all of) Pit Hartling among many others - scheduled performers (such as J.J. Savert, Bernard Bilis, Jean Merlin) and attendees (like Tom Gagnon and Ricky Smith) alike.

Axel Adler was really great during the close-up show which ended a little over an hour ago. With all due respect to the classic of magic I'm about to name, Axel was the first person in a VERY long time to actually entertain and impress me with the linking rings ... a classy presentation that added beautiful elements with his necktie.

Also heard well-substantiated* rumors that there is a book coming out towards the end of the year from Asi Wind and that the next Jim Steinmeyer Impuzzibilities book is being released during the convention ...

* substantiated by the authors themselves

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 6th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Cool!

Brian: how was Jean Merlin? His Genii issue in 1975 was the first issue I ever bought. (I was bummed because I had no way of getting all that international money and didn't have a himber wallet). What kinds of things did he do?

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » October 6th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Merlin has only done his lecture so far (a nice range of clever stuff) but his one-man show is scheduled for an hour tomorrow. I can say a lot more after that.

Jim Steinmeyer's tricks lecture is being introduced by Randy Pitchford now ...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 6th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Jean Merlin did the most amazing lecture of rope magic that anyone has ever seen. It was absolutely stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » October 7th, 2017, 9:32 am

Not that anyone would not believe the Chief Genii, but Richard said it so much better than I clumsily did in haste from my phone. How could I have omitted the word "rope"??? :oops:

Hopefully I'll have a few more minutes to post some other takes during the proceedings ... from my hotel room!!!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 7th, 2017, 9:34 am

That sounds fantastic! All those French magicians are a great "get" for the GC--super performers who haven't been overexposed in the American convention market.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 7th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Jared Kopf just killed as Vernon from the mainstage for about an hour. A spontaneous and well deserved standing ovation. Really terrific! Earlier lecture/presentations today by Mike Caveney (for the attendants that didn't see him yesterday), Jim Steinmeyer (on Pepper's Ghost), David Ben and Peter Samelson were uniformly excellent.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 7th, 2017, 8:13 pm

That performance of Jared Kopf as Vernon was as impressive an acting job as I've ever seen on stage. Think Hal Holbrook doing Mark Twain. That's how good it was. He didn't break character for an instant--even when taking questions from the audience. And his execution of Vernon's magic was damn good too. World Class performance. Bravo.

When Randy Pitchford produces the movie of David Ben's Vernon biography, he won't have to worry about casting the title role.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 7th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Wow! Did Mr. Kopf do Vernon's stage magic or close-up?

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 7th, 2017, 11:52 pm

Both. The effects were Cups and Balls, Ten Cards to Pocket, the trick where the fourth of a kind is wrong and the four cards transform, Triumph, Copper/silver transposition, and Linking Rings.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 8th, 2017, 12:01 am

Guy Hollingworth closed the terrific final gala show with original manipulative stage magic (not just cards) and also got a well deserved standing ovation. Both stylish and baffling!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 8th, 2017, 9:19 am

Hollingworth and stage manipulation seem like a very natural fit--given his debonair manner and crazy chops in close-up as well, he'll be the modern day Fred Kaps.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 8th, 2017, 10:58 am

Jack Shalom wrote:Both. The effects were Cups and Balls, Ten Cards to Pocket, the trick where the fourth of a kind is wrong and the four cards transform, Triumph, Copper/silver transposition, and Linking Rings.

Matching the Cards?

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 8th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Yes, Matching The Cards.

Other standouts for me: Caveney's lecture on Chung Ling Soo and later, his coffee-filled cup in hoop toss; Axel Adler's amazing three-legged and later, four arms routine; Haken Berg's hilarious mechanical Dove Act; Peter Samelson's really touching version of Seven Keys, a plot that I have never cared for before--he made me a believer; Pit Hartling's impish and very fooling close up card magic turn: "I'm the world's greatest German close-up card magician at this convention--in my weight class"; Michael Raynor balancing a wheelbarrow on his chin, over the head of a very skeptical audience member; John Gaughan's restoration of The Turk himself who plays a mean chess endgame ( thoughtful of John to provide a nice bright light to see through the apparatus); Jim Steinmeyer's lecture and demo of Pepper's Ghost; and probably more that escapes me at the moment.

It was my first Genii convention and I really enjoyed it. Richard and Randy did a great job.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 8th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Were there any standout items in the dealers room? In particular: any cool cups, wands, or performance tables that you saw? (I don't know if they were at GC or not, but I read somewhere Subdivided Studios had some new tables).

Rattooth

Postby Rattooth » October 8th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Jean Merlin did the most amazing lecture of rope magic that anyone has ever seen. It was absolutely stunning

Merlin's lecture was great! I really liked Bernard Bilis' stuff too.
Will there be another GENII CONVENTION in 2019????

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » October 8th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Those of us lucky enough to choose the close up group that Richard hosted Saturday morning got to see him fill in a few spaces of time with his card skills. That was an unannounced highlight!

Subdivided Studios wasn't there but owner Sebashtion stopped by the dealers' room since he lives nearby.

Jean Merlin was a highlight as well.

The two gala shows, Friday and Saturday, were overall terrific.

Other greats: David Blaine, Steve Valentine, Hannibal.

Oh, and thanks to Richard we got to meet the man who invented Glorpy - Bernie Trueblood.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

slamerson
Favorite Magician: Roberto Giobbi

Postby slamerson » October 8th, 2017, 5:46 pm

In terms of the dealer's room, there were lots of new toys, books, and stuff we all desperately "need." My favorite was "23" From Weber. A great effect with an entire movie and internet site developed around the number. A great trick.
Of course there were some standout books for sale and I got a few myself.

This convention had a sort of "home town" feel to it. Everyone at the same events so there is no splitting up.
IN another thread I mentioned lots of highlights I forgot to mention Harrison's comedy show,
AT the next convention, don't miss it. It is well worth the trip and it is a convention like none other.

SamLam

Brian Hebert

Postby Brian Hebert » October 11th, 2017, 8:43 am

Was there also a porfolio given out to the attendees like five years ago?
I still regret not being able to get one.
Sounds like an amazing time.

Stever Cobb
Favorite Magician: John Calvert

Re: Genii Convention close up pad dealer

Postby Stever Cobb » October 11th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Good Day! Does any one of the Genii Convention attendees remember the dealer who was selling the custom close up pads. He was located near the entrance to the dealers room. I meant to purchase some, but ran out of time. Thank you in advance.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 11th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » October 11th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Richard,

Are the photos from the convention going to be published online somewhere? Would love to see them, relive the memories.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 11th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Photos in the December issue

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 11th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Best mats extant, IMHO. Pattrick is a cool guy who is easy to work with as well.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 12th, 2017, 6:54 am

Since the age of the fast internet, very little attention is given to the reporting of major conventions in magic magazines, and indeed to the intelligent reviews of magic shows. Even on the internet it appears to be more about individual highlights or grouses by those posting.

While this isn't much of a problem for contemporary magicians, it does pose a challenge for future generations doing research.

Terry

Postby Terry » October 12th, 2017, 12:23 pm

My first Genii Convention and it was stellar.

David Ben and Tom Gagnon exchanging moves/ideas outside the Legend's Room on Thursday morning.

Since he's my favorite mentalist and not being biased, Max Maven was entertaining as always.

Saturday show - Guy Hollingworth's manipulation act was outstanding and deserved the standing O. Jade's act and costuming was gorgeous.

Pit Hartling, Curtis Kam, John Bannon, David Ben, Jim Steimeyer, Mike Caveney lectures were very informative.

Got to meet Dustin Stinnett & Elizabeth Kaufman - two very sweet people.

My son, Chance, enjoyed it more than anyone in my family.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » October 12th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Chance was the star of the convention.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » October 13th, 2017, 6:12 pm

For anyone interested, I experimented with a little art project during the convention. You can find the results at the link below, I hope you enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158945096@N05/zfxT31

AJM

Postby AJM » October 13th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Well done for getting Carney's signature...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 14th, 2017, 7:37 am

Mac Stone wrote:For anyone interested, I experimented with a little art project during the convention. You can find the results at the link below, I hope you enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158945096@N05/zfxT31

Very nice! (I love how Garrett Thomas' actual signature is an free-handed ambigram)

Q: Did you use a Polaroid or Fuji instant cameras or is that one of those instant photo printers? Did you end up buying that Ousterling box?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 14th, 2017, 9:28 am

It was a Polaroid! Cool project.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 14th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Gotta say Richard put on a hell of a party. Great talent in and out of the convention. Out meaning Asi Wind, Tom Gagnon, Mike Close among a bunch of others. Watching David Ben and Tom Gagnon session was inspiring. Great video crew too, very nice job. But most of all the close up shows WERE close up. Attendees were divided into 2 groups, with one seeing the close up show on Friday and the other on Saturday. There were 6 close up rooms and the performers moved room to room, so not a bad seat in the house. Close up the way it should be viewed. Granted it was harder on the performers having 6 "shows" on Friday and Saturday, but very appreciated.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 18th, 2017, 7:02 pm

For me was a great convention. I enjoyed more the past two conventions, in this one I felt so tired, but maybe the problem was me with a lot of work in previous days.

I enjoyed a lot Theme and Variations, The No Show, Mike Caveney lecture, the closing gala, Pepper's Ghost lecture, close-up show, The Turk, Pit Hartling. This convention had a lot of "historic" touches: the historic gala, Guy Hollingworth manipulation act, Pepper's Ghost and Classic Correspondence. I really appreciated it.

A great highlight was Tom Stone, Hakan Berg and Axel Adler performances. I miss the workshop.
A delight to see Tom Stone use his Blanks. Even knowing the deck and staying besides him at the table was incredible.

The lifetime subscriber's lunch was great, thank you very much to the hosts: Richard Kaufman, Randy Pitchford, Guy Hollingworth, Jim Steinmeyer and David Blaine (some moron at the airport opened my luggage and broken the seal at my deck that I keep closed. I don't know if it was in Orlando or in Mexico, but airline put a plastic belt in the zipper "in order to ensure lugagge won't be opened" It's clear that it's a lie)

Another highlight: some Kaufman books at bargain prices. Adding them to some Barnes and Noble products (next the Red Roof Inn) and my luggage had a lot of books.

Anybody has the name of the cards dealer from Ohio? Great products and prices. For first time I have a Tally-Ho deck in my hands, maybe is my imagination but it feels much better than a Bicycle. This is the first time too that I check a Seconds deck, it seems that are just misprintings. Good for practice sleights.

Thank you very much to all Genii Staff and congratulations to Margret for a well deserved acknowledgment.

I just want to add that I have been in the USA five times and there are just two people I have watched each time: Dustin and Richard
Andres Reynoso

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 18th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Glad you had a good time. The people from Ohio were probably Haines House of Cards.
Everyone in New York used Tally-Ho decks when I was growing up.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 21st, 2017, 6:45 pm

I finally published my notes on the Genii convention at littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html. At least on 3/4 of the convention -- I had to leave a day early. The review appears along with a review of Harry Lorayne's new book, a three-part seance you can do in your home, and a farewell to Philip Morris. Enjoy.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » October 22nd, 2017, 5:21 am

Steve, thank you for the kind comments.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 22nd, 2017, 2:38 pm

Was there a Think a Card effect called 23 that was sold at this convention?

Return to “General”