Asti Manuscript and Testament de Jerome Sharp

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Sebastian B
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon/René Lavand

Asti Manuscript and Testament de Jerome Sharp

Postby Sebastian B » July 15th, 2017, 6:52 am

Hi,
I was reading the Asti Manuscript in the Gibeciere and Roberto Giobbis essay on the Testament de Jerome Sharp. On page 4 in the Testament de Jerome Sharp Giobbi talks about shuffling a deck of cards and that it is not what is traditionally known as the overhand shuffle, it is rather a type of shuffle that is occasionally known or called the Haymow Shuffle. It seems to me that this is the way the cards are shuffled in the Asti Manuscript when the author talks about shuffling a deck of cards. In the Testament de Jerome Sharp Giobbi writes that in the 18th century France and Europe the cards where shuffled in this way. Does anyone know when the overhand shuffle became the "normal" way of shuffling a deck of cards?

All the best
Sebastian

Philippe Billot

Re: Asti Manuscript and Testament de Jerome Sharp

Postby Philippe Billot » July 15th, 2017, 8:31 am

Maskelyne seems to be the first to name this kind of shuffle an over-hand shuffle. See his book Sharps and Flats published in 1894 but Sachs in his book Sleight of hand (1885) writes : "The two methods of shuffling in ordinary use are the perpendicular and the horizontal. The perpendicular is the most business-like and I have no doubt that it is used by most of my male readers who are card-players. Ladies, I am aware, mostly patronise the horizontal shuffle."

Actually I have not the first edition of this book which is 1877, so I can't check if it's the same writtings.

But the hoirizontal shuffle is now what we names the overhand shuffle.

Sebastian B
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon/René Lavand

Re: Asti Manuscript and Testament de Jerome Sharp

Postby Sebastian B » July 15th, 2017, 9:46 am

Thank you Philippe :)

Return to “General”