Two rules I won't violate again

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Steve Mills

Two rules I won't violate again

Postby Steve Mills » May 27th, 2017, 10:59 pm

I don't need more magic, especially at my age, but sometimes I'm intrigued and just want to play with something new - sue me.

For many years, I have followed 2 rules before making a purchase:

1. Find out how it works first - I make no apologies for doing this by hook or crook. Too much garbage out there. Way too much.
2. No online, only, instructions.

I violated both of them and regret it. Let's just say it brought back the feeling of opening Silver Shifter. It serves no purpose to name the trick, but had I done either of these two items, I would be better off.

The online instructions make it a total joke. Eleven, yes eleven, separate MP4s. The couple that i looked at aren't bad, but it's totally unmanageable. I can stitch them together, but I'm left with a long, long explanation with no navigation. I guess I could author a DVD and make each MP4 a chapter, but this trick isn't worth that kind of effort. C'mon, if you're going to charge 35 bucks for a corner short deck, throw in a 15 cent DVD.

Just venting and doing the required self flagellation after a stupid move.

Doomo

Re: Two rules I won't violate again

Postby Doomo » May 27th, 2017, 11:42 pm

I used to do printed instructions. But then I was told that you folx wanted dvds, The problem with BOTH was that I have a regrettable tendency to keep adding material. People give me suggest that worked for them. Which leads me still more ideas, I was stuck trying to release updated dvds. Then it was explained to me that online instructions while not perfect were a great idea. I don't know what you think is so terrible about them. But they have allowed me to constantly update my effects.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » May 28th, 2017, 12:31 am

And I watch the DVDs and/or online videos once, then again while taking detailed notes. Then I use the notes to write up my own "written instructions".

Just give me written instructions to start; adding a video or two certainly won't hurt as supplements, but I do wish that written instructions were still the norm.

Guess I'm just old.

Thanks!

Jim

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » May 28th, 2017, 5:48 am

Doomo wrote:I used to do printed instructions. But then I was told that you folx wanted dvds, ......... I don't know what you think is so terrible about them. But they have allowed me to constantly update my effects.

Online is fine and updating is admirable, although many, not speaking of you, promised ongoing support and updates never happen. Anyway, trying to negotiate with 12 separate files is unnecessarily cumbersome. I have suggested to authors before, that if they want to keep things online, at least offer an iso. That way updates can be simply added and the iso updated. Not a tough solution. People virtually stare at me like I just got off a bus from a 3rd world country.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 28th, 2017, 8:18 am

Ouch... I think I just ordered what you are talking about.... the new special deck...

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » May 28th, 2017, 9:02 am

Steve, I think I know what you ordered and agree. Multiple videos, that weren't all that easy to access in the first place. It might have taken me a couple tries to be able to watch them, it almost seemed like they were filmed that way for a DVD.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » May 28th, 2017, 9:06 am

Shawn Farquhar has the best of both worlds I think (although I think he switched for online instructions recently).

I bought his Sheer Luck routine. I got the instructional DVD AND a registration number. You get to register your trick on his website. Then, if he adds something or find a way to improve the trick, you receive an email with the new information and, if necessary, a link to a video, etc.

That's what happenned to me after he did the routine on Penn & Teller Fool Us. Even though I have the routine, he fooled me. A little while after the airing, Shawn sent to the registrated owners of the trick an explanation of what he did and even provided additional material in the case we would like to do the routine as he did.

Return to “General”