Stunning Dove Act James Dimmare

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Stunning Dove Act James Dimmare

Postby Christopher1979 » February 19th, 2017, 5:13 pm

After nearly 30 years i stumbled across a clip of James Dimmare. His dove work was impeccable, if you get the chance look him up!. I saw him firstly on the Paul Daniels Magic Show. The way he produces Doves is so elegant and as his teacher was Channing Pollock there is no wonder why!. Watching that clip took me back to when i was very young and that wonder of magic hooked me....

We are sure lacking in that elegance these days. Ok, tastes have changed, but i sure enjoy it much more than any emo type Criss Angel illusion.
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: Stunning Dove Act James Dimmare

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 19th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Agreed, Dimmare's dove act is absolutely beautiful. It's a Fred Astaire tribute as if the legendary dancer was a dove worker and an artistic statement. I love the diminishing dove cage ending to vanishing the tiny cage.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » February 19th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:Agreed, Dimmare's dove act is absolutely beautiful. It's a Fred Astaire tribute as if the legendary dancer was a dove worker and an artistic statement. I love the diminishing dove cage ending to vanishing the tiny cage.

Isn't it wonderful!, I love the way that he makes the doves look like they are just magically appearing rather than being "Produced". Although i have never done any dove work myself i am aware that the timing of throwing the dove into the air and the change of the dove into a hanky is the hardest.
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 19th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Christopher1979 wrote:Although i have never done any dove work myself i am aware that the timing of throwing the dove into the air and the change of the dove into a hanky is the hardest.

A technique that the legendary Fred Kaps used to vanish, ditch, and change objects. It can also be risky. I was told that Shimada accidentally killed a dove with this move at the Magic Castle.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » February 20th, 2017, 10:22 am

Luna Shimada also was the one who worked with James in the 80's (when she was married to him) on the act. I'm amazed more people don't know this.

I think she is the hidden jewel of magic. I was talking to a couple other Vegas magicians about this and they think, while she couldn't replace Joanie Spina, she has the amazing ability to hone someone's act and help them create their character as well as Joanie did.

Return to “General”