The Jerx Year Two

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
performer

Re: The Jerx Year Two

Postby performer » February 1st, 2017, 2:36 pm

I am becoming more suspicious by the minute that not a single one of those Jerx tricks have ever been performed before a single human being. Not that I have a cynical nature of course. The old fashioned term used by those of us who have been around a while is "pipe dreams"

Still I have been distracted by Joe's long post and alas because I am somewhat exhausted as a result of my spiritual work I am trying to figure out what he is trying to say. Is he saying that an impromptu trick should be presented in a casual off hand manner as if it were merely part of a conversation? And that it should simply be performed in a non theatrical way without any showmanship or patter?

Then I looked at this part of his post:

"But the wider point about Andy's work is one of the classic questions in magic that most magicians consider at one point or another. What else are we trying to offer spectators other than the feeling of being fooled?"

I would have thought the answer to this question is bloody obvious. In fact so obvious that I hardly even should find it necessary to mention it. You are there to ENTERTAIN. The astonishment part, though important is secondary. And I dislike the word "fooled" anyway. The very concept and sub text of that horrible word is what is wrong with magic and the way all the daft people that do it approach it. And they wonder why they get hecklers and antagonistic or disinterested spectators. People don't like being fooled. Amazed and entranced -yes. Fooled--no.

Now if you accept my premise that you are there to entertain first and baffle second (and I don't give a stuff if you don't accept it) then when performing impromptu you need just as much showmanship as you need on a stage or formal presentation. A little quieter perhaps but just as necessary. And just acting like your normal boring self is not the way to go about it. YOU are the magic not your bloody trick! I haven't the patience any more to watch a trick no matter how well it is done technically. If the performer's personality does not grab me I lose interest rapidly. I can't watch magic for more than 30 seconds because it bores the crap out of me. However, if the magician has something about his personality that intrigues me I will suffer the trick and might even enjoy it. And when I say "something" I don't mean a lot of noise and talking too much which rather a lot of over rated so called "legends" indulge in.

Magic is more than that. Much more than that.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 1st, 2017, 3:54 pm

Agreed, Performer!

Oftentimes, when I am performing at the bar or the tables in the restaurant, people will approach me and ask, "Are you the magician?" or sometimes, "Are all those cards up there on the ceiling yours?" "Can you do a trick for us?" Many times, I will say, "Yes, of course, but I am not here to try and fool you, but to entertain and amaze you! Sound good?" They will invariably relax (it's clear from their body language), smile, and nod their heads affirmatively, as if that's exactly what they were waiting and needed to hear. It's as if I had said the real magic words. Once at ease like that, they are very receptive. It is clear that we have gotten off on the right foot, and it is almost always a very positive experience for all concerned...

chriswahlers

Postby chriswahlers » February 1st, 2017, 6:10 pm

performer wrote:I would have thought the answer to this question is bloody obvious. In fact so obvious that I hardly even should find it necessary to mention it. You are there to ENTERTAIN.

I don’t think any would argue against that. But it’s worth repeated emphasis because it’s easy to forget - particularly because many of us did not get into magic because of a desire to perform, but a desire to understand.

What I took away from Andy’s booklet on amateur performance was that the ‘entertainment’ that we can provide in a "non-professional" setting can often be more affecting than a professional performance. We’ve probably all had one or two experiences of that that we can relate to. I’m paraphrasing one of his analogies, but it’s the difference between appreciating the grace and fluidity of a dancer on stage, and a first school dance with a teenage crush. Most people will appreciate the memory of the latter for longer, notwithstanding it (likely) carried less artistic merit.

I prefer to believe that the stories are based in fact, partly because they're always entertaining, partly because Andy has never failed to deliver on his word, and partly because my own happiness is increased that way.

performer

Postby performer » February 1st, 2017, 7:00 pm

No. I agree that not a single soul will argue against the premise that entertainment comes first. However, all they are doing is paying lip service to the premise, then having fulfillied their obligatory duty to supporting this mantra, they then continue on being as awful as ever. After all it takes no effort whatsoever to simply say, "oh yes, entertainment comes first" but it takes a hell of a lot of effort to actually make it happen. Far more effort than learning the trick itself in many cases. And far more drudgery and tedious rehearsal and preparation to make it happen.

I have seen very few good magicians in my life. But rather a lot of "laughing ears" types. I suppose I had better explain to the uninitiated what "laughing ears" is. It is a showbusiness term. It refers to the delusion many performers have that they are going over well when in fact they are not doing as well as they think they are. And to be fair other magicians often add to this delusion by praising various incompetent performers to the sky thus feeding the delusion. It should be remembered that what goes over well with magicians does not always go quite as well with the lay public. That is because magicians appreciate the wrong things.That is why I have always considered those silly competitions at magic conventions with other magicians judging the event to have no validity whatsoever. To me it is the blind judging the blind.

But to the "laughing ears" disease. Let us imagine a mediocre performer who gets a sympathetic smile from someone in the front row. He will translate this in his mind to, "I am really going over well" ignoring the other 90 percent of the audience who are looking grimly at him. Or he gets a sudden burst of laughter and he suddenly thinks he is on a par with Tommy Cooper or Carl Ballantine ignoring the fact that it is the only laugh he gets in his show and it may well because they are laughing AT him rather than with him. Or he gets a spontaneous round of applause and he translates this to a standing ovation just because someone stood up to go the washroom while he was performing. Or they are applauding with relief that the bloody trick has finished. Or a few people cheer him on and make him think he is as good as Siegried and Roy. Or afterwards someone come up to him after the show and praises him whereas he doesn't realise they are merely praising him because he reminds them of their favourite uncle who has left them something in his will.

In other words they misjudge the reaction. It can go the other way too. Sometimes the magician will think he has died the death when he has gone over a lot better than he thought. However, the scenario I described in the last paragraph is the more likely one.

When doing close up magic he may well get gasps of astonishment because of the strength of the trick itself and imagine he is a showman of the first order when he most certainly isn't. In other words it is the inventor of the trick that deserves the applause rather than himself.

Anyway that is "laughing ears". I often cringe when a performer tells me entertainment comes first because I know they are only paying lip service to the concept or they have the "laughing ears" disease . Someone who REALLY believes in the concept spends hours and hours trying to figure out how to execute the concept. The rest merely murder it.

chriswahlers

Postby chriswahlers » February 2nd, 2017, 4:52 am

Absolutely. It’s the Stockdale Paradox. It’s important to retain faith that we will reach our goals, but we must confront the most brutal facts about our reality. For the professional that’s probably quite easy – they won’t get paid, or at least won’t get rebooked if they fail to achieve their goals. But for the amateur it’s often harder because those that we perform for often hide the truth out of kindness. But I can’t help but agree with Andy: “… putting your time and energy into … entertaining family and friends … without looking for anything in return, is probably one of the most worthwhile things you can do.”

performer

Postby performer » February 2nd, 2017, 5:35 am

I am always willing to perform impromptu for no money at all. In fact I actually consider it my duty. It is the reason I took up magic in the first place although I now do it for money also. But that is my personal mindset and I am not pushing it on to anyone else. However, I far prefer to perform for strangers rather than people I know. You get the correct reaction that way.

Performing for members of your family are particularly problematic. They will either say you are wonderful or you are not very good and neither may be the exact truth. A bit like performing for magicians come to think of it. And performing for your layman friends is OK providing you don't do too much of it because they can get sick of it fairly quickly and besides because they know your every mannerism they can detect your secrets more quickly if something doesn't seem quite right.

You really have to perform for strangers on a frequent basis to become good at your work. That is because magic is not secrets. It is PEOPLE.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 2nd, 2017, 11:40 am

Anybody tried this yet? I first tried a paper plate, and the dry erase marker acted as a permanent marker. Next I tried my wooden desk. The dry erase marker rubs off fine, but did not behave as in the gif on Andy's web site. (No motion.) And if it works at all, what surface is practical for Andy's trick (a moving dry erase stick figure in a a permanent rectangle)? Love to see this work as planned.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » February 2nd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Haven't tried it yet.

But did you try blowing on the figure to get it to move? That is a key detail.

Also - Andy's description mentions these surfaces:

You have a plastic folder or a small mirror or something else you can draw on in front of you.

So I wonder if using one of those surfaces might help improve it?

I hope this trick works!

It has really caught my eye. I love "table crap" like this. It really breaks up a set of magic tricks nicely. And performed impromptu stuff like this often has more impact than a traditional trick.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 2nd, 2017, 1:24 pm

Ah, blowing helped. Not as perfect s the gif, but the same idea. Thanks.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » March 16th, 2017, 6:53 am

Andy has an interesting bonus coming up for supporters of his site:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2017/3/15/p ... dpixilated

It is a trick he created for David Blaine - that got cut out of the latest TV special.

I am also really enjoying the JAMM as well. We are two issues in. Both great. I think the last one was 40 pages long.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 16th, 2017, 11:23 am

chriswahlers wrote:
performer wrote:... did not get into magic because of a desire to perform, but a desire to understand...

It gets worse with imagined, inner or virtual audiences. That disconnect between real people feedback and ad copy effect description ...

How's it going with the wet ink? - Any chance two colors and some paper will get a marbling effect?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » March 17th, 2017, 1:26 am

Since that thing with the marker went viral, youtube has been filled with videos of people attempting it. I also got feedback from a couple of friends. And the results seem to be inconsistent at best.

Shame.

It seems the gif that went viral was of one of the few occasions where it worked like a dream.

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » March 17th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Since that thing with the marker went viral, youtube has been filled with videos of people attempting it. I also got feedback from a couple of friends. And the results seem to be inconsistent at best.

Shame.

It seems the gif that went viral was of one of the few occasions where it worked like a dream.

Haven't tried this trick, only read of it cursorily, but I can see potential for all sorts of animated scenarios. Hangman escapes noose, etc. Cop nabs robber. Apparently getting the figure to move is the problem. Looks to me like the image in the gif might have been nudged by an electric fan

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 17th, 2017, 5:04 pm

It's an experimental verification problem. What will reliably lift the dry-erase ink?

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » March 17th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:It's an experimental verification problem. What will reliably lift the dry-erase ink?

I would think that would depend on the lubricity of the surface. Glass, celluloid, chrome maybe. Varnished wood. You want to avoid porous surfaces that will absorb the ink.

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » March 17th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Okay, I've watched a few of the YouTube vids showing the dry erase marker trick, and they confirm my supposition that you need a smooth non porous surface. And the more ink the better. In other words, the thicker and heavier it is, the more likely it will retain its shape when dislodged by the water.

I would experiment with plastic coated playing cards. Wouldn't it be spiffy to show a Five Of Hearts and then dunk it in a glass of water, swish it about, and visibly shed the "5"s, as well as one of the pips, effectively transforming it to a Four Of Hearts? Or better yet, ask the volunteer to remove the card from the glass as it changes to the one he or she selected.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 18th, 2017, 10:45 pm

The water and dry erase markers I have didn't get that result. But... did get a surprise when trying the black marker.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/comment_embed.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fjon.townsend.148%2Fposts%2F1464236733587034%3Fcomment_id%3D1464246440252730&include_parent=false" width="560" height="161" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 743&type=3

time for a new episode of Samurai Jack on Cartoon Network. later folks.

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » March 18th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:The water and dry erase markers I have didn't get that result. But... did get a surprise when trying the black marker.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/comment_embed.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fjon.townsend.148%2Fposts%2F1464236733587034%3Fcomment_id%3D1464246440252730&include_parent=false" width="560" height="161" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

After a bit of experimentation, I have found that the surface ought to be lubricated for best results. I tried chapstick and then dish soap, both of which produced the effect seen in the videos. Smear it on and wipe off the excess.

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » March 19th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Obviously I've got nothing better to do than work on this lame effect. In my final analysis, I have concluded that glass is the optimal surface to use, but glazed China and reflective metals such as stainless steel and chrome do fairly well too. Unfortunately, most plastics are too adhesive. I have not tried wax paper.

The pen needs to be of high quality with plenty of ink flow. The figure drawn on the surface should be thoroughly pigmented. Any weak areas in the design will cause it to deteriorate and lose form.

The likelihood of dislodging the dry erase sketch without distortion is very slight. Success would depend on careful and considered application of the water, and a bit of luck.

I see no practical application of this method in the context of a magic trick.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » May 19th, 2017, 10:41 am

For those who want to learn more about Andy's monthly magazine (called JAMM) - you can find a useful thread here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=642048&forum=218

Joe Mckay (Bob_Hummer in the thread above).

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 7th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I have really enjoyed JAMM over the past few months.

But the latest issue (JAMM No. 6 - July) is very special. Probably the two strongest tricks I have ever read in magic.

I love the outrageous Lubor Fiedler (or perhaps Winston Freer?) style method in the first trick. And I love the kicker ending that Andy tosses out at the end involving a girlfriend. I am gonna have to start dating just so I can perform this.

The second trick is even stranger. The presentation at the end of that trick is profoundly odd in a metaphysical way. I have never seen a trick go this deep. But since the effect is so strong - the presentation really has a chance of putting the spectator in that strange space of not being sure what to believe.

I am hoping Andy puts up his prices. Ten bucks a month for this quality is too cheap. I waste so much more money on other magic that doesn't come close to this level of creativity.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » September 27th, 2017, 8:02 am

Entertaining and thought-provoking post from Andy today:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2017/9/26/the-88th-parallel

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 27th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Hey Bob - Andy has a fun presentation for the 10 Card Deal in the post above!

-----------------

Great post as always from Andy. I think the main thing he brings to magic is the idea of using a trick not to fool somebody but to make somebody feel they have entered an alternate reality for a few minutes. Of course - they never believe this has happened for real but it is still makes for a fun and entertaining journey.

I guess the Bizarre Magick dudes had this intention as well. But often the problem in that area was that you could never tell how seriously the magician wanted you to believe "dark forces were afoot". Added to which - limiting yourself to an alternate reality based around supernatural and gothic imagery is not as fun as picking from an almost unlimited number of alternate possibilities. It is amazing how many different ways Andy has used a magic trick to hint at an alternate reality more often found in an episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits.

A key point Andy makes in his latest post (and one he has made before) is the his goal is not to do something impossible. But to do something that is intriguingly impossible. That one word almost sums up his entire worldview as far as magic is concerned. It is about making your magic intriguing. And that one word is very helpful to me when thinking about what tricks to perform.

Dai Vernon said that a good trick can be described in one sentence. And I guess Andy's corollary to that would be that a good trick would be one intriguing enough in the first place that a spectator would want to describe it to somebody else later on. I know a lot of famous magic tricks that don't come close to providing a satisfying dramatic hook that would make them worth retelling later on.

I feel like people get attracted to magic for one of two reasons. Either they are shy and want a way to impress people and interact with others. Or they are fascinated by the secrets of magic and want to learn as much as possible about the workings (and history) of the field.

Of course - just because you start out in the first camp. Doesn't mean you cannot end up in the second camp. Harry Lorayne and (I believe) Jamy Ian Swiss both started out in the first camp, and ended up contributing a lot to those interested in the workings and history of the field.

Now - I am in the second camp. And the reason I am so interested in Andy's work is that it is aimed at those who love everything about magic aside from the performing aspect.

I am grateful for those magicians who perform a lot since magic would die without them. But for somebody like me (and I am sure for many other people interested in magic) it is hard to find a reason that compels you to perform.

Most magic comes down to fooling people and - if you are lucky - entertaining them.

Well - fooling people never felt like an experience that was enough for me to justify wanting to perform. This is a conclusion that Penn & Teller came to with their own approach to magic as well.

As for entertaining people?

Well - the truth is that most interesting people interested in magic are more entertaining when hanging with their friends just being themselves. Rather than interrupting a social occasion to show everyone the latest trick they are working on.

This is a position Andy was in a few years ago as well. On his old blog, he said he had lost interest in performing. And if asked to perform in future - he would perform The Little Bunny's Card Trick by Bill Goldman and nothing else. He seemed to get a strange zen-like thrill from simplifying his approach to magic in this way and ended the post by talking about Henry David Thoreau and his classic book, Walden which encourages a similar state of mind. That was one post from his old blog that always stuck in my head. Strange to think that post was all the way back in 2003/2004. Magic is the only area of my life where my memory is pretty much photographic.

Anyway - what is thrilling about Andy's work is that he has put together an approach to magic that appeals to those who want to do more with their magic than simply learn more stuff. Who are also looking to achieve something more with their magic than the simple goal of fooling them.

Now - many magicians have written about the importance of entertaining with magic. And not confusing fooling somebody with entertaining them. But the problem here is that this usually involves the use of a script which is (one hopes!) entertaining. But this is no good for an amateur (which makes up 95% of magicians) since the use of scripts rarely seems natural when performing in a casual situation.

A good example of the weirdness created when using a script in a casual situation is the following from Tommy Wonder:

https://youtu.be/ki_M-LkjfRE?t=2m32s

Anyway - I was a major magic nerd for a long time. And was never sure how to transition from that world to one where performing would feel like a goal I wanted to aim for. For a long time - I liked the Paul Harris approach. Of just offering up a single trick with no "framework" surrounding it. In the same way that you might casually show a friend a bar bet or fold some origami and hand it out.

This is an approach that can work well. And even Andy feels it has its place for some types of performances. But again - it is not an approach that excites you or compels you to become more interested in the goal of performing.

As such I am very grateful for Andy's writings since he does offer a framework which is both ambitious and exciting. But that is also one that is designed with the amateur in mind.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 27th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Oh - by the way - I have a non-magic blog now:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2017/9/14/the-mind-of-danny

There is a backstory to this explaining how it will overlap with some of Andy's work in the post above.

performer

Postby performer » September 27th, 2017, 4:22 pm

I hate that awful word "script" but I shall let that pass for the moment. I see utterly no reason why you cannot use entertaining patter when performing impromptu for family and friends. You don't have to a be a professional to do that. You have to be a MAGICIAN. And if you are a magician the patter is not an optional extra. It is the most important tool of your trade. If you don't use that tool then you are not a magician.

And the patter can be perfectly "natural" providing you are not chattering in a long winded way about the history of playing cards and how the Jack of Clubs came into being just because you made it rise to the top of the pack. I use exactly the same patter when performing impromptu magic casually as I do when performing the same tricks professionally.

I have seen that Tommy Wonder clip before. Obnoxious TV hosts are not uncommon. But then obnoxious spectators are not uncommon in daily life either. It can happen to amateurs just as much as professionals. They are not insurmountable obstacles and can be easily handled if you know what you are doing. Magic is PEOPLE after all.

I don't think Andy's approach is practical for AMATEURS let alone professionals. I am not surprised that at one point he decided not to bother with it anymore and whittled it all down to one Bill Goldman trick.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 27th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Most magicians perform for one of three reasons.

1) They are getting paid.

2) They want attention.

3) They want feedback on a trick they created or have just learned.

As a result - most performances of magic are by people using magic for the wrong reason (they want attention) or because they are charging for the service. I would quite happily spend my life just performing tricks I have invented since I could then feel like this was useful feedback for my creative process. But alas - I have the creative abilities of a piece of string. And a damp one at that.

And there is nothing wrong with that. It is just not something that really engages the minds of those people with an interest in magic that does not encompass one of those goals.

Now - I absolutely admire anyone who performs regularly for people. For whatever reason. Magic needs more people like that. And fewer people like me. Although the magic dealers may disagree...

As such - the work of Andy is very useful for armchair magicians like me. Since he has found a radically ambitious way to make the performance of magic an exciting goal other than simply learning a trick and some patter. Heck - I always think back to the invisible deck and the classic Eddie Fields presentation. If you want to fool and entertain - that trick will do the job every time.

But so what?

Entertaining people is not hard for me. And it is much more rewarding when it comes about from some spur of the moment wit or some interesting in-depth conversation that takes place over the course of a few hours. Magic is not a crutch I need to entertain and as such I am really interested in the approach that Andy teaches. Since he is shooting for something ambitious and creative unlike anything else you usually see in magic. With the exception of the likes of Derren Brown, P&T, Barry & Stuart and Ricky Jay. But alas - the brilliant work they do takes place in the format of a formal stage show. And is not one you can really emulate when performing for friends in a casual situation.

I read your autobiography, Mark. And am looking forward to your upcoming one as well. And I have no doubt that if I met up with you again[1] - the highlight of the evening would be hearing your stores rather than seeing any magic you might show me or any laypeople I had with me.

Joe

[1] You sold me a Svengali deck when I was 7.

performer

Postby performer » September 27th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:
But alas - the brilliant work they do takes place in the format of a formal stage show. And is not one you can really emulate when performing for friends in a casual situation.

I read your autobiography, Mark. And am looking forward to your upcoming one as well. And I have no doubt that if I met up with you again[1] - the highlight of the evening would be hearing your stores rather than seeing any magic you might show me or any laypeople I had with me.

Joe

[1] You sold me a Svengali deck when I was 7.

I am beginning to think I sold Andy one too!

I do not agree that you cannot emulate superior work when performing for friends in a casual fashion. Or working impromptu for either friends or complete strangers. Of course you can if you are any good. I do it all the time. And I have done it time and again for decades.

With regard to your second point you may well be interested in my stories more than my magic. After all you are immersed in magic yourself. However, I can guarantee that any laypeople you had with you would be FAR more interested in my tricks than my bloody stories!

As for my memoirs I do agree with you that they are absolutely wonderful and they should be chattering about that rather than some other book on the other active topic thread. The book in question is entitled "The Lives of a Showman" and is absolutely wonderful reading despite a cynical remark from one particular wit saying that the "V" in the word "Lives" should be left out.

This most wondrous piece of world class literature can be purchased here:
https://www.marklewisentertainment.com/ ... cians.html

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 27th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Joe Wrote: "Most magicians perform for one of three reasons.

1) They are getting paid.

2) They want attention.

3) They want feedback on a trick they created or have just learned."

After reading this, I immediately realized that I perform for ALL 3 of the foregoing reasons. But there is a fourth which eclipses all of the 3:
i Love to entertain people - in other words, to make them laugh or at least put a smile on their face, help them forget about whatever cares and stresses they might be going through, and be a catalyst for them to have fun and a great time.

performer

Postby performer » September 27th, 2017, 11:04 pm

So now that is four reasons instead of three! I am going to add a fifth though. At least it is an important reason for me even if it isn't a priority for anyone else. More of a metaphysical reason I suppose and hard to put into words. I suppose the nearest I can get to it is "artistic fulfillment". It is an inner desire and burning motivation for me. And the only way I can get it is to find an audience.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 6th, 2018, 10:49 am

jkeyes1000 wrote:
Jonathan Townsend wrote:The water and dry erase markers I have didn't get that result. But... did get a surprise when trying the black marker.

After a bit of experimentation, I have found that the surface ought to be lubricated for best results. I tried chapstick and then dish soap, both of which produced the effect seen in the videos. Smear it on and wipe off the excess.

Updates are online - some impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIKBW3Lk4Jo

:)

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » March 6th, 2018, 2:48 pm

That is great. Thanks for that Jonathan!

Return to “General”