Most Influential Card Magician of 20th Century

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Townsend

Re: Most Influential Card Magician of 20th Century

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 19th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:I can't imagine what a thrill the Paul Harris publications must have been in the late 70's.

They were fun

Set his "Super Magic" next to contemporary books - say Alton Sharpe's Expert Card Mysteries or Harry Lorayne's Reputation Makers and flip through the pages to see the contrast in text descriptive styles, page layout and illustrations per page.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

JHostler

Postby JHostler » August 20th, 2016, 10:24 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Joe Mckay wrote:I can't imagine what a thrill the Paul Harris publications must have been in the late 70's.

They were fun

Set his "Super Magic" next to contemporary books - say Alton Sharpe's Expert Card Mysteries or Harry Lorayne's Reputation Makers and flip through the pages to see the contrast in text descriptive styles, page layout and illustrations per page.

The Harris books were "events," and REALLY fun to read. Some of the material was, quite frankly, awful - but even the worst got your creative juices flowing. And the best was just tops.

Back to the original post... a thumbs-up for Jennings. He sort of bridged the Vernon and "modern" card eras, and - despite my disdain for Open Travelers (the "take" being contrived and far too often butchered) - Larry's construction was/is virtually unparalleled.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 13th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Starting to think back to packet tricks - Ron Frost, Emmerson and West...

Who's the guy who put the most of those little wallets with printed cards into magicians hands? Color Monte?

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 13th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Starting to think back to packet tricks - Ron Frost, Emmerson and West...

Who's the guy who put the most of those little wallets with printed cards into magicians hands? Color Monte?

Nick Trost had tons of them. Phil Goldstein released many back in the day as well. Nutshell Monte and Pointer were two that still stick with me to this day, credited respectively IIRC.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 13th, 2016, 3:29 pm

I did a search on the tricks - came to here - nice to see the cards again after years :)

http://www.themagiciansforum.com/post/p ... ry-7897980

fausstroll

Postby fausstroll » September 14th, 2016, 11:24 am

What about Ascanio or Tamariz ?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 14th, 2016, 11:35 am

How about whoever convinced USPCC to make custom cards for us?

https://imagetransfers.com/pricing.php

:)

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » February 13th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I can remember Tony Spina of Tannen's telling me the Frank Garcia videos sold the best in 'the day' because they were of do-able material. I also remember, maybe from Meir, that at some portion of the 20th century that Paul Harris was considered the big influence. Of course I'm trying to come up with different names than those already given, but if you never saw Frank Garcia on David Suskind's show doing hours of card tricks you should look those up. And, Mr. Lorayne's Apocalypse did a huge amount of influencing of the evolution and procreation of the art. Also, Mike Skinner on the Tonight show. Derek Dingle on Barbara Walters' TV show. Of course you guys are right about Marlo and Vernon and Elmsley and all those too. Regards Gregg Webb

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2017, 4:34 pm

It's Vernon, and there's no question that it's Vernon. First on the east coast, later on the west coast. He covered it all, and inspired all.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JustinM
Favorite Magician: Mike and 40.... The rest are dead!

Postby JustinM » February 13th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's Vernon, and there's no question that it's Vernon. First on the east coast, later on the west coast. He covered it all, and inspired all.

Richard,

I have to agree with you on Vernon being the most influential.

The more I've studied him, his life etc.... , i keep thinking to myself "this guy knew millions of people and inspires millions of people!"

A close second for ME would be Marlo... for Output volume and just his DEDICATION to the craft.

Justin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Output volume counts for less. Marlo seems to have published most of what he thought of (including lots he didn't think of), making it difficult to find the good material among the crap.

What counts most is that Vernon created a way of handling cards and a way to think about magic--he was the conduit through which we got the material of Leipzig and Malini.

Marlo thought about moves.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”