Return of a Controversial Blog

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
PapaG

Re: Return of a Controversial Blog

Postby PapaG » October 21st, 2015, 10:35 pm

Bill, the misinterpretations continue - I thought you meant I was being obsequious ...

performer

Postby performer » October 22nd, 2015, 4:12 am

Perhaps I am imagining things but didn't Richard at one time attempt to make this a paid site and it didn't work out? Or something like that anyway. Maybe you had to be a genii subscriber-maybe that was it. Something along those lines anyway.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » October 22nd, 2015, 7:46 am

You had to be a subscriber.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » May 30th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Andy has completed his book. It will start shipping in July.

Details here:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2016/5/26/last-call-for-the-jerx-volume-one

Also - he is running a funny contest in which you have to destroy a copy of the Erdnase book (and film it) to be entered into the prize draw. lol

This is an amazing time for magic books. The Tenyo book last year was incredible. And then there is the upcoming book on the magic of Lubor Fiedler. And the Angelo Carbone book as well. And now we have Andy's book as well.

I am certain the 4 books mentioned above will go down as my all-time favourite books in magic.

My interest has different aspects - some days I want to study the incredible history of the Tenyo company. Other days I want to ponder the genius of Lubor Fiedler. And I look forward to spending time studying the work of Angelo Carbone as well. Since he is the one creator today who seems to have a similar approach to magic.

And on other days I want to spend time planning and playing with the strange once in a lifetime effects that Andy specializes in on his blog.

Magic is a house with many rooms - to quote Eugene Burger.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » May 30th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Oh - and congratulations to Andy on hitting the one year mark. One of the best things about magic is how something wonderful and unexpected can appear out of nowhere.

I loved his original blog (from ten years ago) and always hoped he would come back again. But I kinda' lost hope he would.

As such - to come back swinging in such a voluminous manner just charms me.

Andy - the best thinker in magic today. And the funniest writer.

Let's hope he does a Steve Bryant and keep the blog going for the next 20 years!

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » May 31st, 2016, 6:15 am

I've taken the liberty of lifting this from a previous post commenting on a previous post of yours. If the author cares, tough titty. Here we go:

Well, Joe, clearly you’re a fan and good luck with that. What I’ve seen is not particularly thrilling and is not worth the money. I’m sure (hope) you’ll allow me that. However:

“One other thing. Andy is the best thinker in magic today. It is that simple”.

And now the best writer.
Hmm.

I have favourites, but they're not the best, simply because there is no such thing. But I like 'em and that'll do for me.

AJM

Postby AJM » May 31st, 2016, 6:41 am

Joe - you're not actually Andy by any chance?

Andrew

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » May 31st, 2016, 8:48 am

AJM wrote:Joe - you're not actually Andy by any chance?

Andrew

Andrew: You're not Andy by any chance, are you?
:D

AJM

Postby AJM » May 31st, 2016, 9:05 am

As I've always considered myself to be the best thinker in magic today, I might actually be Andy!

I've often wondered why I sit down at my desk each day to write a blog.

And, come to think it, I also have a book coming out.

I think you might be on to something there...

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » May 31st, 2016, 10:45 am

lol - no I'm not Andy.

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » May 31st, 2016, 11:39 am

Another thought:
AJM = Andrew/Andy Joe Mackay....
:mrgreen:
:lol:

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 31st, 2016, 3:54 pm

observer wrote:Dunno if it's one of MCJ's, but there's a post right now on the MC asking "What are your favorite effects from Greater Magic?" And it's getting responses!

What kind of cod post could top that?

"I may not agwee with youw opinion, but I will defend to the death youw wight to expwess it." -- Elmer Fudd

If it gets them reading the book - all the better. I like the coin easel item. Been wanting to modernize that item for fold-flat ... it's the item right after the coin fan.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 31st, 2016, 4:09 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a thread discussing Greater Magic. That may be what passes for yanking everyone's chain these days, but I've found discussing worthwhile older books with knowledgeable people is a very useful (and practical) exercise.

I realize I'm not the target audience for the new book, but I hope those of you who are looking forward to it get your money's worth.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 31st, 2016, 4:18 pm

Having produced a book for $250 recently, I have a pretty good idea what I think should go into a project with that kind of retail price.
But I can't see my way to paying $260 for the kind of book he's selling.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » May 31st, 2016, 4:36 pm

To be honest, it's not a book that would interest me at any price.

Andrew

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » May 31st, 2016, 4:49 pm

Selling a book of blog posts.

Hmmm.

Now, where'd I leave my blog...

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » May 31st, 2016, 5:01 pm

No - there is more to it than that.

http://www.thejerx.com/buy-the-book/

But whatever. lol

I think he is a legend.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » May 31st, 2016, 10:52 pm

erdnasephile wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a thread discussing Greater Magic. That may be what passes for yanking everyone's chain these days, but I've found discussing worthwhile older books with knowledgeable people is a very useful (and practical) exercise...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21107

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 1st, 2016, 12:21 am

John LeBlanc wrote:Selling a book of blog posts.

Hmmm.

John Scalzi won a Hugo Award for a book collecting his blog posts.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 1st, 2016, 4:15 am

...and it can be yours for less than $15.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 1st, 2016, 6:54 am

Thanks, Mr. Shalom!

Dale A. Hildebrandt

Postby Dale A. Hildebrandt » June 1st, 2016, 11:39 am

John LeBlanc wrote:Selling a book of blog posts.

Hmmm.

Publishing a magic manuscript based on blog posts is neither new nor novel. I already did just such a thing. Perhaps I was ahead of the curve in this aspect?

I posted chapters, one at time, from my book “The Life & Time of B. Bizarre”. There were, of course, other posts that interrupted the flow of the blog book chapters. This was done partly on purpose, to incentivize people to purchase the "uninterrupted" version of the blog. I published this blog on the Blogger blogging platform. The first edition of the compiled blog chapters into an eBook was released in 2006 via the Lybrary.com website. That was TEN YEARS AGO...that's a WHOLE DECADE!!! Yes, the manuscript is approximately 52 pages, and yes, there is no bonus material. But, I was already on this “make a manuscript from a blog” scene a DECADE ago!

The “Dale's Den” Blog is no longer up (it WAS at http://dalesden.blogspot.com/), as I recently considered that blog out-dated, no longer relevant to my current client base's desires, and pretty much obsolete. So, I shut it down. You could probably view some of the old posts (and old B. Bizarre chapters) using the Internet Wayback Machine website. You can, however, find my new projects at the following, newly updated, blog:

http://StuffByDale.blogspot.com/

I also want to point out a few things about MY BlogBook:

1) I am NOT anonymous. You can email me. I use my real name. I have a real first name, a real last name, and even a real middle initial. I'm not anonymous. I don't re-route my IP addresses or use proxies or anything of that sort. I'm not going by some made-up first name, such as “Andy” for example.

2) My eBook based on posts from my first blog is only five bucks (USA bucks, but still...). That's $255.00 cheaper than that other book. Yeah, sure, his is like 400 pages and hardcover but...

3) Will you get his book almost instantly? You can order my eBook, “The Life & Times of B. Bizarre” from Lybrary as an instant download at http://www.lybrary.com/the-life-and-times-of-b-bizarre-p-369.html or you can purchase it through my newest, latest, spiffiest blog site at this link: http://stuffbydale.blogspot.com/p/b-bizarre-blog-book.html If you order direct, you won't get it exactly instantly, it could take up to 48 hours sometimes, but you don't have to wait on the postal delivery. Also, if you order direct you can interact with me through email, but more importantly I get to keep more of the money...

4) If you have feedback on the book, or want to have a civil discussion about some aspect of the manuscript, or something along those lines, then yet again...I'm Dale. I'm not anonymous. I use my own email to send you the eBook. You can ask questions about things that are in the manuscript, and I will do my best to answer them. Are you going to get any direct communication from “Andy”? Does he have any record of producing manuscripts that he can show? Will he answer your questions to the best of his ability? Does he allow comments on his blog posts?Does he care? I don't know the answers to those questions...but most of you out there, and even most of “Andy”'s readers don't know the answers either.

Credit Where Credit Is Due Department: I based the idea of writing a non-fiction magic instructional manuscript on a contest that was held a few years before I even had a blog. In that contest, authors were encouraged to write a chapter a day for thirty days, and to the submit their book for a sort-of “peer review”. The best entries received various prizes.

I based the idea of narrating “The Life & Times of B. Bizarre” in a storytelling format on the works of Tony Andruzzi and company, wherein “The New Invocation” was a very direct inspiration.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 1st, 2016, 11:56 am

But this thread isn't actually about you Dale.

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » June 1st, 2016, 1:15 pm

Roger M. wrote:But this thread isn't actually about you Dale.

Indeed.
Hijack Ahoy.

Dale A. Hildebrandt

Postby Dale A. Hildebrandt » June 1st, 2016, 1:16 pm

Roger M. wrote:But this thread isn't actually about you Dale.

What I posted is both relevant, and related, to Andy's project. As for his jerx website being "controversial"--all he did was perform a cheap (very cheap) SEO exploitation trick.

He made fun of Steve Brooks, The Magic Café's staff, The Magic Café forum, and the lesser-witted posters over at The Magic Café. Andy is NOT controversial...not at all. He glommed on to the Cafe's search traffic and forum viewers. He wrote posts about how awful that place was, and used vulgarity, insults, and curse words. Oh, wow! You mean somebody used the "F"-word on a magic website? (sarcasm mode on) HOW CONTROVERSIAL! How REVOLUTIONARY! HE USED THE "F"-word! (sarcasm mode off)

He said a bunch of vulgar words, while making sure to use search terms and links that would get him traffic from Google and The Magic Café. Then, ten years later (yeah, it's kind of a long lead time, but not really), he monetizes his NEW blog by giving you a book that's made up of 200 pages of his new blog's first year and 200 pages of "fresh" material.

He's not doing anything controversial. There shouldn't be this much buzz. He' s not fresh, original, or creative. His discourse it to basically say that Steve Brooks is fat, runs his forums like a dictator, and then Andy drops a couple "F"-bombs. He took a cheap SEO exploitation trick...and exploited it. Without Steve Brooks, and The Magic Café forum, Andy would have NOTHING to say.

Other people ARE doing controversial things in the magic world...even in the online magic world. Starting an banner ad-based free subscription service of a Magic Forum was a bit controversial at the time. There wasn't a direct revenue source for The Magic Café. Nobody had to buy an ad or donate or pay a subscription fee. At the time, that was a bit revolutionary. The Magic Café uses the fact that information (and storage) is getting larger, faster, and cheaper by the day. When The Café first came online, it was not directly competing with other online magic forums.

The Magic Café WAS directly competing with Genii magazine, Magic Magazine, and The Linking Ring. Those are subscription fee-based (as well as ad-based) revenue models. The Magic Café uses a different revenue model. That was controversial...at the time. If people could get quality content, news, reviews and the such (and not ALL the content at The Café is quality), then there was worry that people might forego the printed magazines. (Of course, RK probably never worried about this, but I know that TIME magazine did...and Newsweek...and many other mainstream publishers of mainstream media magazines). Yes, of course, people will pay for quality, and to hold a physical something-or-other in their hands, and even to support the publishers/editors/contributors financially as a reward, or as sympathy. But it took a little while to realize that this isn't a dichotomy.

You don't have to have the Forums OR the physical magazine. You can have both. In fact, the forums might actually help the GOOD printed magazines. The forums let us know when the NEW printed thingamajig is out. The forums tell us if the new printed, physical item is good. The forums provide an instant feedback loop for both the publishers and the readers (the publishers can find out what the readers like and dislike, while the readers can tell the publishers what that is).

THERE IS NOTHING CONTROVERSIAL about the Jerx blog. It's a blog. He used an SEO trick to get his readers. His content isn't any different than good Paul Harris article, or magazine feature on a creatively thinking magician, or a Michael Weber book.

"Andy" wants your attention. He's getting that attention from you. He's monetizing that attention. What's so effing controversial about that? A million other marketer in a million other niches are doing the same effing thing. There, I said "effing" so I must be "cool, hip, or controversial". His blog is just a little slice of the blogosphere that's ain't even possible without the one thing he so claims to dislike...Steve Brook's Magic Café!

"Andy" is an opportunist. So are all other capitalists. "Andy" is monetizing a blog. So are all the other blog writers who want to get paid for their blogging. "Andy" uses a cheap SEO trick to drive traffic to his site. So are all the other, smart, SEO experts.

The Jerx is not controversial. It's kinda lame, actually. Sure, there's adult language, sexually themed magic tricks, and variations on card tricks. That ain't controversial. That ain't unique. That's just a person talking with friends at the bar at midnight at a good convention...just on a blog instead.

Show me how "Andy" is controversial. Show me how he's improved anybody's tricks in any way besides making boner and pee jokes while performing fairly standard items. Direct me to one post where he advances a plot, a method, or comes up with a whole new effect (such a flavor transposition that happens in other people's mouths, as basically invented by Weber). Even if he did ANY of that, that would make him just another magic writer.

There's a feeble, old man behind that curtain. There's no great and wonderful OZ. It's just some cuss words and "adult-themed" sex talk.

There now I've talked about The Jerx, his "controversial" blog, and "Andy". Are you happy about that, Roger?

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrand
thttp://StuffbyDale.blogspot.com/

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 1st, 2016, 2:27 pm

Andy has pretty much laid off Steve Brooks with his new blog.

For what it is worth.

His writing has evolved from being (or is it been? I can never remember. If anyone ever wants to dox me just look for been/being mix ups) satire based to one that is much more focused on creating new magic and offering novel advice for those who want to perform. Along with a few jokes along the way. I am glad he has gone in this direction because of an amazing trick he published on his original blog (it was a "seance" type effect) which made me realise he has a very different take when it comes to inventing magic. I had never seen a trick quite like it before. And fortunately it was a sign of even greater things to come.

Andy has a lot of great theory (and humour) on his blog. But in terms of tricks - my favourite ones from the site can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46552&start=40#p318422

I hope Andy gets a chance to monetise his site. He deserves it. Sadly however - he is pretty much just covering the costs he has accrued putting together the site. To not even consider the amount of time he has spent writing and testing out ideas. He has actually paid people to create content for the blog which is one of the many reasons it is such a great site.

The main one being that there is nobody else in magic like Andy.

And yeah - Michael Weber is a cool guy. And guess what? He is was a fan of Andy's original blog and I am sure he is a fan of the current one as well.

As for the book - I would happily chuck a couple hundred bucks Andy's way as a donation to help him with his site. The fact he is throwing a book in there (which will have a bunch of new material) and some other stuff as well just sweetens the deal. Magic is hardly overflowing with innovative and creative people. And when such a person can earn much more money doing freelance work outside of magic - I am always grateful for their efforts.

I wish I was brilliantly creative myself. But I am not. And since I love magic - the best I can do is show my support for those who are.

As for Andy's philosophy of magic - these posts help set out his vision:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/7/10/a ... tric-magic

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/6/24/t ... st-century

Dale A. Hildebrandt

Postby Dale A. Hildebrandt » June 1st, 2016, 3:18 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Andy has pretty much laid off Steve Brooks with his new blog.

For what it is worth.

His writing has evolved from being (or is it been? I can never remember. If anyone ever wants to dox me just look for been/being mix ups) satire based to one that is much more focused on creating new magic and offering novel advice for those who want to perform. Along with a few jokes along the way. I am glad he has gone in this direction because of an amazing trick he published on his original blog (it was a "seance" type effect) which made me realise he has a very different take when it comes to inventing magic. I had never seen a trick quite like it before. And fortunately it was a sign of even greater things to come.

Andy has a lot of great theory (and humour) on his blog. But in terms of tricks - my favourite ones from the site can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46552&start=40#p318422

I hope Andy gets a chance to monetise his site. He deserves it. Sadly however - he is pretty much just covering the costs he has accrued putting together the site. To not even consider the amount of time he has spent writing and testing out ideas. He has actually paid people to create content for the blog which is one of the many reasons it is such a great site.

The main one being that there is nobody else in magic like Andy.

And yeah - Michael Weber is a cool guy. And guess what? He is was a fan of Andy's original blog and I am sure he is a fan of the current one as well.

As for the book - I would happily chuck a couple hundred bucks Andy's way as a donation to help him with his site. The fact he is throwing a book in there (which will have a bunch of new material) and some other stuff as well just sweetens the deal. Magic is hardly overflowing with innovative and creative people. And when such a person can earn much more money doing freelance work outside of magic - I am always grateful for their efforts.

I wish I was brilliantly creative myself. But I am not. And since I love magic - the best I can do is show my support for those who are.

As for Andy's philosophy of magic - these posts help set out his vision:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/7/10/a ... tric-magic

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/6/24/t ... st-century

He MAY be creative. NONE of the above, though, makes him CONTROVERSIAL. I also think it is AWESOME, GREAT, and WONDERFUL when someone monetizes something they care about passionately, and deeply. I don't begrudge him any of his success(es). He just wasn't there first (turning magic blog posts into a magic manuscript). He's also still not controversial.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » June 1st, 2016, 4:17 pm

Dale A. Hildebrandt wrote:
Joe Mckay wrote:NONE of the above, though, makes him CONTROVERSIAL.

By "the above" I assume you aren't referring to this thread in general.

John

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » June 1st, 2016, 7:46 pm

He might qualify as controversial if he presold a $200+ book and didn't deliver it, even after 4 years.

Right, Dale?

How's Sacred Tricks coming along?

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 1st, 2016, 10:17 pm

Goes a long way to explaining the bad form.

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopi ... &forum=218

performer

Postby performer » June 1st, 2016, 10:34 pm

That magic cafe thread was hilarious. For some quirky, sadistic reason I always get great joy from seeing magicians squealing that they have been scammed out of money! As long as I am not the one being scammed of course.

It happens all the time and I am astonished that magicians who are supposed to be experts in deception fall for it in great numbers without fail. Not that I think most of the offenders are actually trying to deceive anyone. They just get in a bit of a disorganised mess and the more people squawk the worse the mess gets. I would NEVER pre-order from anyone and I don't understand why anyone does. After all they could be dead before the product arrives or alternatively the vendor could be dead. Why take the risk for a book you may never end up reading anyway?

I once took pre orders for a book I sold. I would never do it again. It made me a nervous wreck holding on to other people's money for months on end and I hated every minute of it although nobody ever complained. I couldn't wait to get the stuff off my hands.

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » June 2nd, 2016, 9:44 am

Fully agree with Mister Performer. I wouldn't dare do otherwise.

Here's a question: Why does Andy deserve to succeed in his attempts to monetise (hate that word) his endeavours? Genuine question, seeking information. It might assist me in making my own still-in-the-works magnum opus more appealing.

Incidentally, here's a thought: Isn't subscribing to magazines a form of pre-ordering?
;)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 2nd, 2016, 10:16 am

Dale A. Hildebrandt wrote:... His content isn't any different than good Paul Harris article, or magazine feature on a creatively thinking magician, or a Michael Weber book...

That might wind up as testimonial

What's with search engine optimization as magic trick being coy about mechanics?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » June 2nd, 2016, 10:42 am

Leo Garet wrote:Here's a question: Why does Andy deserve to succeed in his attempts to monetise (hate that word) his endeavours? Genuine question, seeking information. It might assist me in making my own still-in-the-works magnum opus more appealing.

Unless I missed something, only Joe McKay has stated that. And I take that in the same manner I take his other comments with respect to this subject.

I take no particular issue with the $260 book offer. Good luck I say. It may be complete and utter [censored], it may be brilliance cover to cover, or it may be something in between. I wouldn't know because I haven't read any of it. But given the long and sordid history of people in this little corner of the world offering complete nonsense for rather exorbitant amounts of money -- and loads of people standing in line to pay for it -- I see this matter as a tempest in a teacup. It'll work itself out.

Leo Garet wrote:Incidentally, here's a thought: Isn't subscribing to magazines a form of pre-ordering?
;)

Yes.
viewtopic.php?t=12149#p118808

John

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 2nd, 2016, 10:54 am

This is my favourite trick by Andy:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/6/22/cellphone-magic

There are a lot of links and posts flying around. And I just want to make it easier for readers to see why I admire Andy's work so much.

Can't resist mentioning this one as well:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/9/28/cryptophasia
Last edited by Joe Mckay on June 2nd, 2016, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » June 2nd, 2016, 11:00 am

John LeBlanc wrote:
Unless I missed something, only Joe McKay has stated that. And I take that in the same manner I take his other comments with respect to this subject.
John

One of us missed something. Probably me. It usually is.

BillMorrison

Postby BillMorrison » June 2nd, 2016, 2:59 pm

There is no book. It's online performance art, which is what he does. Does it quite well.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 2nd, 2016, 3:22 pm

But there will be a book, I assume, since that's what folks are paying $260 for.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 2nd, 2016, 3:27 pm

Bill's comment is confusing to me. And it is wrong to cast aspersions on somebody when they have not even had a chance to release the book yet.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 2nd, 2016, 7:01 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:But there will be a book, I assume, since that's what folks are paying $260 for.

Not exactly. It's a little more than that.

This folk, at least, is paying because I like his blog, and want to encourage him to continue. The book is an extra, albeit a very nice one.

I figure if he stays blogging for another year, that's about a $10/mo. donation over two years. Seems reasonable for my budget, given that I spend that much on bad coffee in a week.

Return to “General”