Genii for kids

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
P.T.Widdle

Genii for kids

Postby P.T.Widdle » August 30th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Having received in the mail the latest issue of National Geographic For Kids, and enjoying it with my kids, I'm left wondering what a Genii For Kids magazine would look like.
I understand that print magazines' days are numbered, but it just seems sad that there isn't a magic magazine for my kids to enjoy. There are indeed some great kids magic books out there, but getting a monthly magazine in the mail is different.
A small niche audience to be sure, but a loss for them nonetheless. YouTube is no replacement.

lybrary

Re: Genii for kids

Postby lybrary » August 30th, 2014, 1:17 pm

In the 40s such a magazine was published in the UK. It was called Trixy http://www.lybrary.com/trixy-magazine-p-79046.html
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 30th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Trixy was the magazine of the Boys' Magic Service.
Years late, Eddie Burke of Magictrix, who himself had been a member of the above published a magazine called The Marvel, to which I subscribed.
Both of these were mail order magazines and not on general sale to the public.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » August 30th, 2014, 4:25 pm

When I was a kid my grandmother signed me up for the Shari Lewis Dixie Magic Club, which was a promotional effort by the Dixie Cup company. There were 6(?) newsletters called "The Presto Press" which came in the mail, with tricks (cups and balls with dixie cups, of course) and articles.

I remember articles about Lewis Carroll/Charles Dodgson being a shy child who felt liberated performing through puppets, about the historical people represented on playing cards (King David as King of Hearts, Charlemagne, etc) and one about the correspondences between the calendar and a deck of cards (suits/seasons, pips/days, etc). I enjoyed the newsletters, and was sad when they ended.

I think I still have them. Somewhere.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 30th, 2014, 11:10 pm

On a related note, just this afternoon on his Facebook page, Josh Jay announced the October 6 release of his latest for-the-public book, Big Magic for Little Hands.

https://www.facebook.com/magicianjoshuajay

Return to “General”