Official Joanie Spina Release

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
David Oliver

Official Joanie Spina Release

Postby David Oliver » August 17th, 2014, 3:08 pm

"It is not the length of life, but the depth of life." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

This morning, my dear friend, an angel on earth, Joanie Spina became a true angel. She passed away at 11:35am central time, peacefully, with friends and loved ones at her side.

I have been asked to write this notice on behalf of Joanie's family. Joanie had been waiting for new lungs and a new liver, after suffering for the last few years from several medical conditions that slowly destroyed those organs. Unfortunately, those new organs never became available, and Joanie's body, while strong and resilient, could fight no longer, finally succumbing to her illnesses.

We were diagnosed around the same time, with different, fatal lung diseases, and would constantly compare notes, share tears, laugh at the silly things and rally around each other. During my darkest days, Joanie was a mere phone call away, and would find a way to cheer me up, or rekindle my faith that everything would be all right. She was my cheerleader. My angel. As my condition improved after surgery, hers worsened. The tables had turned. I was now her cheerleader, spreading the word as much as possible that she needed help. At conventions, online, in emails, I would constantly remind friends and fans alike, that Joanie was in trouble. Funds were raised, shows were produced and friends did what they could - all to help Joanie. All the while, her medical condition deteriorated, and every effort was taken to save her life.

We would talk on the phone, again sharing ideas, thoughts, tears and laughter. Doctors in LA, LV and even my own surgeons in Boston were brought in to do whatever was necessary to give her the same fighting chance that I was blessed with. But her case was different. It was more complicated. She was eventually transferred to Houston for experimental procedures that would allow her to have the transplants. She was in a good place. There were good days, and bad days. Sadly, she declined rapidly, and organ transplantation - even if the organs had become available at the last minute - became out of the question. Her body was no longer strong enough to survive the surgeries. She fought until the very end, never giving up.

Joanie was more than a victim of lung disease, though. She was more than just a kind spirit. Joanie was a multi-talented artist. A dancer by trade, this Arlington, MA native was a gifted choreographer, director and performer in her own right. She choreographed, danced and consulted in and on shows for some of the biggest names in the business, most notably, as the lead dancer and choreographer for David Copperfield for more than a decade. Joanie was requested by the best of the best, from around the world, for her expertise in stage movement and more. However, you didn't have to be a big name in the industry to enjoy the generosity of Joanie. She was also a gifted teacher, constantly sharing everything she knew with up-and-coming performers of all kinds. Her way of molding new artists, and helping them to believe in themselves was unmatched. Of course, Joanie's love for our four-legged friends was legendary. I can think of no one more involved with animal protection, pet adoption and related issues than Joanie Spina. She loved animals, and did everything she could to protect them. She was their angel, as well.

Today is a sad day, yet a peaceful one. Sad, obviously, because of the loss of one of the most beautiful souls I have ever known. Peaceful, because we know she is no longer suffering, no longer in pain, and no longer has to fight. I don't believe Joanie lost the fight. On the contrary. She won. She fought until her last breath. Joanie was given less than six months to live, more than a year ago. She courageously pushed back, doing what she could to live life to the fullest. Whenever the statistics and medical professionals would say, this is it, Joanie would say, "not yet." She continued teaching, until her physical limitations made it impossible. She made it to the AMA awards, appearing onstage of her own accord, in front of hundreds of her adoring peers. Joanie used her last months to continue to rally against animal abuse and support animal adoption. In these last months leading to her death, Joanie LIVED. Even through the toughest times, she LIVED. Joanie never gave up. She didn't lose. She LIVED. When she had accomplished all that she needed to do, she finally left us - on her own terms. It was as if she was the director and choreographer of her own exit.

Joanie Spina was a director, choreographer, consultant, dancer, but most of all, Joanie Spina was a friend. A friend whose life ended too soon - for us. I'm sure she had so much more to contribute to the magic community and society in general. Her efforts to protect animals and promote organ donation will continue through our efforts. Her memory and her legacy will live on through those of us who were touched by her strength, beauty, talent and generosity. Joanie Spina tried to live life to the fullest and use her talents, onstage and off, to make the world a better place. She certainly made my world a better place. I am honored to have known her, and humbled that her family and caretakers asked me to be the one to break this news to the world, after Joanie's family had been notified. Unfortunately, someone announced the news earlier today, prior to Joanie's family being notified.

Joanie was 61 years old. She is survived by her mother, Helen, her brother, William, a niece, cousins, her beloved dogs as well as friends from around the world. Funeral arrangements are being made, and memorial services are being planned in Las Vegas and in Boston. There will be places to donate funds to, in lieu of flowers, per Joanie's wishes. More details to come.

Joanie Spina was an angel on earth, who has more than earned her wings in eternity. Thank you for being my angel, and for touching our hearts by sharing your amazing soul and talents with us. You live life with depth and to the fullest, and showed us all how to do the same. Dance among the angels now, Joanie. The stage is yours.

(On behalf of Joanie and myself, I ask that you consider becoming an organ donor, so others might have the second chance at life that I was blessed to have received, and unfortunately, she didn't. Thank you.)
- DO

John McDonald

Re: Official Joanie Spina Release

Postby John McDonald » August 17th, 2014, 4:51 pm

:(
Best John

Return to “General”