Lost Videos Slydini Christian Fechner

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Tahurista
Favorite Magician: Classics

Lost Videos Slydini Christian Fechner

Postby Tahurista » July 29th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Who knows something about this topic or who might have such videos teacher today. Any help is good.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Lost Videos Slydini Christian Fechner

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2014, 6:56 pm

The original 35 mm films have been lost. All that exist are VHS dubs with a time code. It would be a pity if they were never released.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » July 30th, 2014, 6:47 pm

How about Richard, is a huge loss to videos of these gauges is lost, in whom I believe I have those videos are the heirs of Christian Fechner and theory was professional films, there are also recorded footage of Slydini in a session with students, one of the Disciples I record but not only that there is much material stored safe and there are people who are not interested to bring it out and tinplate digitalizen those videos that whoever has the footage because the tape deteriorates over time lose and that's a very serious loss in the branch of misdirection and magic itself.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 31st, 2014, 9:09 am

Agreed, it would be too bad to have the tapes deteriorate to unusable. Years ago I was talking to Hans Zahn (Videonics) about these as he was attempting to get them with no luck.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 31st, 2014, 10:03 am

My friend Pierre Mayer has the videos. Some years ago, at Blackpool, I asked him (begged him!) about releasing them and he said he knew he should but . . .

It would be a real shame if these were lost to future students of magic.

Matt Field

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 31st, 2014, 10:10 am

Not so much the craft as being able to enjoy some memories of they guy. Just days ago a non-magician brought up Slydini doing a "sewing a button" bit.

There's been a long history of confusing form/function - personality/workable technique in the "how to" part our literature. It's not as if the machinery of human perception / cognition have changed in the last however long.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » July 31st, 2014, 2:43 pm

Do not you think people who have historical tapes that are well guarded magic in 35 mm film thinking that having them stored in a dry well abitacion and while neither remember the material they have, believe it will last for a lifetime. Here are wrong in the case of material Slydini think it was filmed in the decade of the 70 and brings over 50 years, these tapes ie tapes Charlie Chaplin who are 90 and are stored in a special room, whether those tapes are repairing the frame by frame and in the case of VHS tape was full of fungus and as seen it, seen in whites vhs tape that he fills in the rolls. This is what I think I if Pierre Mayer or have things other than comiense digitize because losing that tape for lack of serious care a historical loss and because historical because there was only one Slydini, Vernon, Malini, Bertram, Koran, Annemann, Frank Garcia, Goshman, Fred Kaps, Blackstone, Thurston, Cardini, Channing Pollock, Gali Gali, Marlo among many historical figures and preserve for conferences, audio sessions and performances of them is a historical contribution to the magic in conservation general.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 31st, 2014, 2:50 pm

Tahurista wrote:Do not you think people who have historical tapes that are well guarded magic in 35 mm film thinking that having them stored in a dry well abitacion and while neither remember the material they have, believe it will last for a lifetime. Here are wrong in the case of material Slydini ...

I don't imagine collectors as ignorant dolts. Those who wish to have some of their collection on display will do as they see fit.

Slydini is missed. It would be nice to see him in action again. Even if just by way of an old film or video.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » July 31st, 2014, 3:17 pm

No matter the video quality but it safe and available to the person who wants to study the historical material have, that's what matters. And there is a problem of ignorance is a disease.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 31st, 2014, 7:17 pm

Obviously, not understanding human nature, what does Mr. Mayer gain or prove by not releasing them?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 31st, 2014, 8:51 pm

I believe the issue is getting permission to release them. They were filmed by Fechner and his wife is now the custodian of the estate.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2014, 9:38 pm

That's not the only issue. There is an enormous amount of editing and video restoration that needs to be done. It's a very expensive undertaking.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » July 31st, 2014, 10:11 pm

Well there are two problems, the person who now has videos not know if you know the historical value of the second video and if you have the knowledge that he has is in danger of deterioration that is the alarming detail.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » July 31st, 2014, 10:15 pm

And not to give permission to release this video of the person's whim or ignorance itself.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 31st, 2014, 10:27 pm

claiming ignorance as entitlement is scary

ask the owners directly

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » July 31st, 2014, 11:02 pm

Pierre is a very smart man and collector. Please stop assuming they aren't in good hands and assigning motivations/attitudes you know nothing about.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 31st, 2014, 11:05 pm

Matthew Field wrote:My friend Pierre Mayer has the videos. Some years ago, at Blackpool, I asked him (begged him!) about releasing them and he said he knew he should but . . .

but what? he does not own the rights to the video? he does not have a video player and a PC to digitize them and upload them onto YouTube to make sure they get preserved? He does not know any reputable publishers ( like the Circle there or our host here at genii? )

if they're his - it's up to him.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 1st, 2014, 12:19 am

Apparently some people do not think clearly that an archive of lessons from a teacher teaching for the welfare of magic is that it is not suitable in the hands of one person, that is to prevent the progress of a study of any person Slydini want to study and improve itself.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » August 1st, 2014, 1:24 am

No doubt this has been posted on the Forum before, but worth reposting. Here's a great link to vintage Slydini on French TV doing some of his signature pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HwRAfJBWA

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 1st, 2014, 3:33 am

Pierre is a knowledgeable and responsible man. The films (now video transfers) are unedited and need quite a bit of work. Who is to pay for this? That is just one question.

Matt Field

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 1st, 2014, 3:35 am

While any release of extra video footage of Slydini would be welcomed, there is already ample Slydini material available for anyone who seriously wants to study his methods.

JPC

Postby JPC » August 1st, 2014, 4:40 am

Pierre Mayer is a charming and great man who has done much to magic. It was not right, this is the Fechner family is only allowed to use these films.

Not fantasize too much about these films, Slydini performed the effects it has mutiple times presented and explained at lectures or other films.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 1st, 2014, 6:07 am

...and a key part of the psycology of being a collector (for most people) is the beleif that "I have this and other people don't" - indeed that's essentially what the entire value of the collecting world is built on. If he has gone to the time and hassle of tracking these video's down (not to mention the expense that will have incurred) then why should he have any obligation to then give it away to others?

It's lovely when people with collections of rare things share them with others but i've found that even the most "open" people have fairly strict criteria on who is actually allowed to access their collection.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 1st, 2014, 2:59 pm

Apparently there are people who strive to not leave anything to light, rightly has never left this video because jente putting on pedestals that if intelligent and not upload it because it is a collector and you have all the reason to have the same silver and edit who puts us if the whoever filmed this video was a millionaire, are more serious in talking.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2014, 4:40 pm

There is nothing like these films on Slydini. Almost all the released footage of him performing is when he was older. These films were shot in 35mm by a professional crew when he was at his peak in the 1970s, and contain his entire repertoire both performed and explained. As I understand it, the only caveat Slydini had was that they not be released before his death. Why Fechner never edited and released them I have no idea.

As I wrote earlier, the original negatives are apparently lost. All that exists are VHS copies with a time code on them. A time code, if on the lower section of the screen, could be covering vital areas of the picture. I don't know because I haven't seen them. Maybe the time code is at the top of the image.

Either way, they should be released.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 1st, 2014, 5:22 pm

Now there are two unknowns, the first who will have the original film which is most difficult to know, who will have a second copy vhs to know if you are at the top or bottom of the timeline, there be some light to this item as it is the only serious study known to leave the master Slydini.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 1st, 2014, 5:46 pm

The film is lost, and Pierre has the tapes.

There is no mystery.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 1st, 2014, 6:51 pm

One could as well ask: How specifically is it in the interest of someone who does have the video you'd like to watch - to make the video available to you?

The serious wannabe Slydini student could have already looked to find some of Slydini's students and asked them politely and privately for some help learning.

The serious video viewer could be asking for help after describing their own efforts to obtain the item, what was offered in exchange etc so folks could offer useful suggestions.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 2nd, 2014, 5:00 pm

Well are two issues that need to be oneself, the interest is not known because the person is not known and second if you want to exchange for something we do not know because they do not know what they are interested about why you want to give the video, there's the rub.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 2nd, 2014, 5:48 pm

I had also heard Slydini wanted them released after his death.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 2nd, 2014, 6:02 pm

If the Master Slydini said that that after death the release, means there is a selfishness and therefore do not appear these videos.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 2nd, 2014, 6:54 pm

no. it means that the wife of Christian Fechner, who has no reason to give a flying flip what you think, has decided it is not worth her time and energy to deal with something that to her is likely of complete irrelevance.

I appreciate your self righteous indignation, but suck it up - they aren't your tapes, you didn't make them, you don't know ANY of the details about them so you don't really get to say what someone should or shouldn't do, nor why they are or aren't doing it.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 2nd, 2014, 7:07 pm

Wrong friend, if there are videos of Fred Kaps recorded in the home of Mr. and videos that first shot in associations or French friends is wrong to think that the man who filmed the tape no one has at least one copy.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 2nd, 2014, 9:32 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:I had also heard Slydini wanted them released after his death.

And what arrangements did he make to have that happen? Contracts? Funding? Rights assignment?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 2nd, 2014, 9:36 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:no. it means that the wife of Christian Fechner, who has no reason to give a flying flip what you think, has decided it is not worth her time and energy to deal with something that to her is likely of complete irrelevance. ...

There's been little mention here of anyone making offers, much less what has been offered, which might be meaningful to the owner of the coveted property.

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 2nd, 2014, 10:05 pm

You jonathan but who is to make the offer according to you, would you? because you only talk about Deals?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 2nd, 2014, 10:19 pm

you do realize that your sense or entitlement is the reason much if this material is intentionally held underground, yes?

Tahurista

Postby Tahurista » August 2nd, 2014, 10:26 pm

I'm not around, who are those who have a copy?, Leave everything on earth is not healthy for close-up magic, if also is not a historical document.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 2nd, 2014, 11:41 pm

I smell an agenda.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 2nd, 2014, 11:49 pm

Roger M. wrote:I smell an agenda.

Agreed. :(

But at least this thread recalled the guy, seeing him perform and seeing one of his students do some of that material. Pleasant memories.

Return to “General”