David Acer - question - 'More Power To You'

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

David Acer - question - 'More Power To You'

Postby Joe Mckay » July 16th, 2014, 9:15 am

Hey David,

In your trick with the coffee sleeves called 'Identity Theft' - should the coffee sleeves be different sizes - or the same size.

At first I thought they should be different sizes - but now I think they ought to be the same size (which is what I hope since my local Starbucks only has one size for their coffee sleeves).

I am checking out different effects that make use of optical illusion type principles - so thanks for coming up with something neat in this area!

Cheers!
Last edited by Joe Mckay on July 16th, 2014, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: David Acer - question - 'More Power To You'

Postby Joe Pecore » July 16th, 2014, 6:14 pm

I'm fairly sure they should be the same size, and that most coffee shops only have one size for all.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: David Acer - question - 'More Power To You'

Postby Joe Mckay » July 16th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Yeah that is what I think as well.

When I read the trick - I assumed you needed different sized sleeves. Since I thought there were different size sleeves for each size of drink.

So I went to Starbucks and was disappointed to see they only had one size of sleeve. I imagined I was at the start of a long search for a coffee shop which had different sized sleeves.

But when I read the trick again - I started to visualise what is going on a bit better. And realise now - that the reason you use a different sized drink to the spectator is to add the subtle convincer that the sleeves really are different sizes. As such it strengthens the optical illusion involved.

In a way - I was fooled by reading the method for the trick - since I fell for that psychological touch. It is an important convincer - since it is only when you remove your sleeve from your medium sized drink - and the spectator removes his sleeve from his large sized drink - that the spectator is conditioned to the idea that both sleeves are different sizes.

Simply producing the two sleeves - and telling the audience they are different sizes (purely by the use of the optical illusion) wouldn't carry the same conviction.

It is a lovely subtle touch.

I think my new favourite trick just got even better.

Return to “General”