iGenii problem

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

iGenii problem

Postby Mike Powers » June 19th, 2014, 1:55 pm

When I launch iGenii on my iPad, it begins "Maximizing Available Space" but stops and locks up at 72%. There is plenty of space available on the pad. Any thoughts on how to solve this problem?

Mike

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Re: iGenii problem

Postby Mike Powers » June 19th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Fixed.

I downloaded iGenii again. All is good! The new interface looks great too. Looking forward to delving into the deep past. Thanks for giving us access to so much great material, Richard.

Mike

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 19th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Web browsing (windows 7, firefox) of the issues isn't perfect, but it's ok. The search, however, as mentioned before, remains an exercise in frustration. Losing the search data every time one goes to to one result is something I think/hope they can fix.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 19th, 2014, 11:31 pm

They are working on that problem with the search.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 28th, 2014, 9:59 am

I am hoping someone can help. In trying to view an issue using the new Genii app while offline on an iPad and in airplane mode (after downloading the issue while online), none of the media is available. A box pops ups that says, "undefined". I have tried deleting the app and reloading, but the problem continues.

With my thanks in advance.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 28th, 2014, 12:14 pm

At the moment, the existing app does not download the multimedia. A new version of the app will be coming in a month or two that will take care of that. The company (and it's a large one!) never had a customer request an app before that downloads all the media with it because of the size of the files. I explained that my subscribers are different and we need this, so they are building it.

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 28th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Thanks Richard.

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » July 10th, 2014, 1:43 am

I just recently subscribed to the digital only Genii subscription. Tried to view issues with my Surface RT from Windows and it's almost impossible to view. Too many issues. Tried to download the Genii app but it seems that my Surface does not allow that app to be downloaded. It will only allow me to view my electronic subscription through Internet Explorer but again, way too many issues.

So, I tried viewing my Genii subscription using my iPad. Downloaded the Genii app through iTunes and it works like a charm.

Richard, are there known compatibility issues with viewing iGenii through IE? Thanks!

Roberto

Robert Meisch

Postby Robert Meisch » July 10th, 2014, 9:21 am

Kudos to you Richard and the new Company for being responsive to issues and requests. With the last company it seemed we were on our own. I had to re-download the app every month.

Thanks.

-robert

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 10th, 2014, 10:42 am

mrmagik68 wrote:I just recently subscribed to the digital only Genii subscription. Tried to view issues with my Surface RT from Windows and it's almost impossible to view. Too many issues. Tried to download the Genii app but it seems that my Surface does not allow that app to be downloaded. It will only allow me to view my electronic subscription through Internet Explorer but again, way too many issues.

So, I tried viewing my Genii subscription using my iPad. Downloaded the Genii app through iTunes and it works like a charm.

Richard, are there known compatibility issues with viewing iGenii through IE? Thanks!

Roberto

I'm not sure why today anyone would ever use IE for anything...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 10th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Please do not use Internet Explorer. Most folks have shifted to either Firefox or Chrome and it works very well.

If you're using a Surface tablet, it has Windows 8, right? That requires its own app, which we do not offer. If your tablet is running on an Android operating system, there is an Android app available, but it's slow and buggy. I just tested a new Android app from the company, which is much quicker, and hopefully they'll upgrade it soon.

But if you have an iPad, that's always going to be the best tablet to use because of the uniformity of one company doing everything, whereas with Android tablets they are made by many different companies, do not necessarily all function the same way, etc.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » July 10th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Richard

Sorry if this is not the right thread.

I have not figured out how to download video and audio content off line on my iPad. I am able to download the magazine but the none of the bonus digital content which was possible to do before.

Thank you.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » July 10th, 2014, 4:34 pm

6 posts above yours:

Richard Kaufman wrote:At the moment, the existing app does not download the multimedia. A new version of the app will be coming in a month or two that will take care of that. The company (and it's a large one!) never had a customer request an app before that downloads all the media with it because of the size of the files. I explained that my subscribers are different and we need this, so they are building it.

JMD

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 10th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Thanks, John. After the updated iPad app for this appears, the Android should follow shortly.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » July 10th, 2014, 4:53 pm

:oops:

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 10th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Patience is a virtue. We've been working on this since January, so no one is more fatigued about the length of time it's taken than me.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 10th, 2014, 5:40 pm

I've only just recently got the chance to try out iGenii on iPad ... and all seems to be working well. Such a fantastic benefit to subscribers.

Thanks to Richard and the rest of the tech team ... it's a flyers dream! And sure helps lighten the carry on luggage load - no more magazines :-)

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » July 14th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Richard,
I understand that not all back issues are currently available through iGenii however, is there any other way for me to access those back issues? Thanks.

Roberto

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2014, 4:19 pm

First: the issue raised earlier today is being addressed.

Second: Roberto, you will be able to access the balance of the back issues as we get them scanned and uploaded over the next few months.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Issue raised earlier is now fixed as suggested. Thank you.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 14th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Hopefully, any new ability to download video for offline viewing will also come with an option (as the old android app had) of downloading the issue without the video (as it is now).

Still having lots of issues with the Android app, the worst being how slow and unresponsive the interface is, even when viewing an issue that has been completely downloaded. Losing half the screen (in content mode) for the (non) necessity of showing an image of the actual page is also super annoying, guaranteeing I have to continually scroll as only a few paragraphs are available at a time.

If I use "flip mode" I can see a bit more text (from the actual page image) but the scrolling around the page (which one needs to continually do on a smaller tablet) isn't ideal and is pretty choppy.

Would love to be able to have the textual content fill the whole screen, as it did on the old (blue toad) app. On a smaller tablet (7 inch) or a phone, only being able to use half the screen to read content is a bummer.

If I can get my webcam aimed straight, perhaps I'll shoot a clip showing what I'm talking about. Perhaps the iOS version runs better? I know that some companies program primarily for that platform with the android app being sort of an afterthought. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2014, 8:11 pm

The iOS version runs very well. We know the Android app is not good, and as I've written here already, they have built a new one that works very well, and they're testing it with myself and other customers before releasing it.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » July 14th, 2014, 9:07 pm

First, the 75 years of back issues accessible online are an amazing accomplishment and incredible value. So, hats off in general.

As the company who handles Genii digital is supposedly reading these threads, I will weigh in. As an iOS 7 iPad Air user, I find the app pretty wonky and fiddly. When I open the app, I'm almost always taken to the preceding issue, not the current one. I always open in this weird split screen and have to close one window. Often the most recent covers are blank, and when I click on one am taken to a grey screen that freezes. I have to swipe close the app and reboot and then usually the covers are back. When I open an issue the bottom half of the screen asks which viewing mode I want to use and how many issues I want to store. After checking download and "3" (the maximum), the issue opens. But when I open it again I'm taken to the same screen.

On a bigger issue, after reading the new issue over the weekend I'm told by the app now that my subscription is not active even though I've got a year left on it. I'm sure that's a separate issue and I have emailed about it.

Like I said, it's a great addition to a subscription and it's amazing there are so many issues on it. None of these are critical bugs, but since you have asked for feedback...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Scott, I'm running an iPad 2 with an up to date iOS. I have not experienced any of the things you discuss. It did ask me to login today, which it hasn't in the past (once I logged in the first time).

When the app first opens after I logged in, I see the cover of the July issue. So I tap the issues button and, after allowing the app the time required, all the thumbnails of the covers populate. Perhaps you're just not giving it enough time, which is why they appear to be blank to you.

After the covers all show up, I tap the August cover and that issues opens up in Flip view, with the cover showing. All navigation works; audios and videos seem to work.

When you say the issues opens up in a "weird" split screen, you're referring to the "Article" view, which will, by tomorrow morning, give the contents of the issue. However you have to tap the "Contents" button on the toolbar in order to see that. Perhaps when you closed your iPad last time you were using that mode. "Contents" and "Article" views both use the same split screen: one shows a table of contents with hot buttons (again, the one for August will be up tomorrow morning--they are a day late with it), and if you tap the image of the page you see, the contents goes away and is replaced by a plain text version of the article, which some people find easier to read.

Once of the screens you're describing is the "Issues" screen, which also has tabs at the top for the "Help" screen and the "Contact" screen. These are also available separately on the toolbar.

But there should not be anything that's blank.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » July 14th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Dear Richard,

Thanks for the reply. It's hard for me to adjust the settings because it says my subscription is not active; I am logged in. I suspect that may be a discrepancy between the iPad vendor's database and Genii's since my subscription is supposed to end with an August issue -- just '15, not '14. Like I said, I emailed separately.

Re the blank covers, I don't think it was a matter of the app not loading fully. All the covers would load except the most recent two, and they'd be blank. Or, a couple of issues -- the Danny Orleans and one other -- would either not be there, be blank, or be there. Weird. As for the split view, I'll try to fiddle with the settings when my issues reappear. -- Scott

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2014, 10:02 pm

There is an update to the iPad app coming as soon as Apple approves it: 5 to 10 days I'm told. I hope it will fix some of the problems you're having. In the meantime, remember that you can always access iGenii on your desktop or laptop (and I'm sure Margret will help you tomorrow as far as the expiration date).

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » July 14th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Thank you, Richard!

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » July 15th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:First: the issue raised earlier today is being addressed.

Second: Roberto, you will be able to access the balance of the back issues as we get them scanned and uploaded over the next few months.

Richard,
Thanks for the response. I've been enjoying my iGenii subscription via my iPad. The app has been working well for me and have had no problems.

I'm just getting back into the magic scene and was delighted to read the issue on Imam but saddened to hear he passed away. I have great memories of Imam and Mostly Magic. Btw, THANK YOU for granting my wish of a digital-only Genii subscription!

Roberto

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » July 15th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Issue raised earlier is now fixed as suggested. Thank you.

Thank you Richard
Andres Reynoso

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 15th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The iOS version runs very well. We know the Android app is not good, and as I've written here already, they have built a new one that works very well, and they're testing it with myself and other customers before releasing it.

I missed your post saying there was a complete android refresh in the works. I look forward to trying it. Is there any time frame on when we'll be able to do so?

I don't know if it's possible, but (especially for smaller tablets) I wonder if they could have a mode where the article text fills the whole screen without need for a split screen. Being able to see only a paragraph or two, with the split image of the page hogging half the screen is kind of obnoxious on the tablet (though pretty ok on a desktop monitor). The previous app (blue toad) could do this, but I don't know if it would be too much to ask of tecnavia.

One thing I think they might be able to fix is that when one zooms (double tab) in on a column (on my 7 inch tablet) the app always seems to over-zoom forcing one to zoom out just to get the column to appropriately fill the width of the device. Once again, this is something that the blue toad app seemed capable of, so perhaps the tecnavia guys could follow suit.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » July 15th, 2014, 3:49 pm

I'm not sure if Margaret did anything or not, but I opened the app and got the same "you are logged in but you have no active subscription" message. I tried deleting the app and signing in again and now it appears to be working once more.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Good.

Return to “General”