Playing Card Printers

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Steve Mills

Playing Card Printers

Postby Steve Mills » May 21st, 2014, 1:36 pm

This isn't execatly magic, but I would appreciate input from anyone that has used a service.

My son, the artist (not sure where he gets it), is considering producing a deck(s) of cards with his artwork on the back. He's received samples from makeplayingcards.com and I didn't think the quality or prices were too bad.

Does anyone have additional suggestions?

Thanks.....
Steve

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Playing Card Printers

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 21st, 2014, 2:29 pm

Kardwell International will print short custom runs of as little as 25 decks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

diagonalpalmshift

Postby diagonalpalmshift » May 21st, 2014, 3:03 pm

To Steve,

I am not sure how many decks you would like to have made, but, you might try:

The Expert Playing Card Co. has been doing work in that area, please contact custom-orders@expertplayingcard.com for more information.

I think that Dan and Dave Buck will be launching a site called DeckStarter soon, if not already, which might be helpful as well.

Best,

Ricky Smith

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 21st, 2014, 3:57 pm

Has anyone had any luck with USPCC? http://www.bicyclecards.com/custom-playing-cards

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 21st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Expert Playing Card Company is owned by Bill Kalush of CARC and prints its decks in China, I believe.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 22nd, 2014, 12:28 am

About 4 years ago, I had a deck printed by USPCC -- I modified a bicycle rider back to include my contact info, and used them as business cards. The back was a JPG that I uploaded, and the imagery was a little "soft" compared to a real rider back. But otherwise I was pleased with the cards -- they handled and felt like normal air-cushion finish playing cards, and the fronts were normal.

Now USPCC outsources their low-print-run deck orders to Zazzle, and I don't know what the quality of their work is like (or if they even offer a good linen finish stock).

I just placed an order for linen stock poker sized cards from makeplayingcards for a similar project -- I scanned a old Russell/Morgan design for a back, and jiggered up a business card front (contact info and a cut from Hocus Pocus Jr for illustration). They advertise a single deck for $12, but mine was $12.60, and $5.99 for S&H. Two decks would have been $9.99 for S&H, so there's not much of a break for quantity.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 30th, 2014, 9:01 pm

So I got my cards in the mail today, and I'm pretty pleased with them. The stock is very similar to that of bicycle air cushion, and they handle like a regular deck.

Link to what they look like (the dashed lines don't appear on the cards; they indicate the border areas that should be clear).

I uploaded JPG files for the front and back, and again, they look a little "soft". Elsewhere, Chris Aguilar has suggested that if I had used PNG files for graphics, they would look better, so it might be prudent to use them if you try this route.

Anyone who wants one to inspect first hand, send me an SASE:

Bill Mullins
PO Box 12543
Huntsville, AL 35802

(and if you have a magic-related business card, include it as well!)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 30th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Not sure what resolution you uploaded at, but I know they are capable of very sharp printing with the proper input.

Return to “General”