Hello Everyone!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Head Games
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Hello Everyone!

Postby Head Games » May 1st, 2014, 4:26 pm

Hi everyone! I decided after so many years to find a few more avenues for discussion other than the magic cafe.

A quick google search has landed me here.

Is it ok for me to ask, if there are any other forums about magic besides here and the cafe? I would love to know.

Is there a section on this site to discuss methods and ideas about routines?
Last edited by Head Games on May 8th, 2014, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Hello Everyone! Escaping the green monster.

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2014, 5:07 pm

Welcome.

You're free to discuss methods anywhere you like. We're not very strict about that sort of thing.

We're also happy to answer questions that don't involve sending copies of copyright material. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2014, 5:12 pm

One more thing ... let's stop referring to the Magic Cafe as the "green monster." I don't know what derogatory comment people might use for the Genii Forum, but it wouldn't please me.

So, "Magic Cafe," please.

Head Games

Postby Head Games » May 1st, 2014, 5:22 pm

It shall remain "The Magic Cafe" from now on. :)

I can talk about anything? I can ask about tricks that I dont own and ask about how they work? I could even take those findings and then formulate them into my own ideas and eventually share them with everyone?

I might need to grab a tissue....

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 1st, 2014, 5:28 pm

It is telling, is it not, that people can't bring themselves to use the name.

I am unaware of any nicknames for the Genii forum, other than Dustin's Playpen . . .but I don't think anyone expected those pictures to leak out.

Head Games,

There is always a line. If it looks like you are trying to get something for nothing - people will be rightly suspicious. That's not your fault - it's the fault of a large number of magic's population who are happy to take and copy, creating sameness and not difference, without admiration or sometimes even recognition of the shoulders on which they stand. Your intentions may be noble. Many of us have been burned and may be slow to warm up. But they will.

It's been my experience that magicians here are thrilled to help people develop their own ideas - especially by helping them find ties to older ones. I have found that when I make it clear that I have invested thought and energy, that I am working to a clear purpose and not just sating idle curiosity, that people are extraordinarily giving.

Good luck in your journey. The people here are very thoughtful even when they disagree.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 1st, 2014, 5:58 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Welcome.

We're also happy to answer questions that don't involve sending copies of copyright material. :)

Does that apply to the pdf of the Crimp I hear has been floating around? Since I can't buy any issues, I would not mind the pdf.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 1st, 2014, 6:13 pm

HeadGames:

First off, you might want to consider either changing your screen name to reflect your actual name, or to put it in your sig. Some people here (and elsewhere) are more likely to share with someone whom they know.

Second, if/when you ask about a method, you will get a much better response if you include why you want to know. If you say "how does The Zorba Move work?" you won't get much help. But if you say "Can you do The Zorba Move surrounded?" you'll probably get the answer you need.

Third, try not to reveal the methods of current commercial items, unless there's a really good reason. The question of what counts as a current commercial item has many different answers; just keep in mind that people here (generally) respect a creator's right to sell secrets, which they can't do if you or anyone else gives them away.

And fourth, welcome.

Doomo

Re: Hello Everyone! Escaping the Magic Cafe

Postby Doomo » May 1st, 2014, 6:57 pm

Dammit Pete... We AGREED to NEVER mention the ZORBA move on an open forum... Especially after what happened to... You KNOW WHO!
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 1st, 2014, 8:35 pm

Head Games wrote:It shall remain "The Magic Cafe" from now on. :)

I can talk about anything? I can ask about tricks that I dont own and ask about how they work? I could even take those findings and then formulate them into my own ideas and eventually share them with everyone?

Welcome!

I agree with everything that has been said, but would like to add my two cents please.

You might want to read a bunch of threads here first (if you haven't yet) to get a sense of the place before posting. The priorities and flavor of every forum are different, and newbies that take the time to get to know the place before slinging random posts right and left generally assimilate more quickly.

Again, welcome!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 1st, 2014, 11:06 pm

Doomo wrote:Especially after what happened to... You KNOW WHO!

Is it Zorba?

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » May 2nd, 2014, 1:35 am

Pete McCabe wrote:HeadGames:

First off, you might want to consider either changing your screen name to reflect your actual name, or to put it in your sig. Some people here (and elsewhere) are more likely to share with someone whom they know.

Second, if/when you ask about a method, you will get a much better response if you include why you want to know. If you say "how does The Zorba Move work?" you won't get much help. But if you say "Can you do The Zorba Move surrounded?" you'll probably get the answer you need.

Third, try not to reveal the methods of current commercial items, unless there's a really good reason. The question of what counts as a current commercial item has many different answers; just keep in mind that people here (generally) respect a creator's right to sell secrets, which they can't do if you or anyone else gives them away.

And fourth, welcome.

Great answer, Pete. Kudos.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 2nd, 2014, 4:14 am

PickaCard wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:Welcome.

Does that apply to the pdf of the Crimp I hear has been floating around? Since I can't buy any issues, I would not mind the pdf.

I've a feeling he's a troll. RK specifically tells him not to ask to be sent pirated material, he then quotes that, and asks to be sent pirated material. From someone RK is known to really dislike intensely.

Obvious troll is obvious.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 2nd, 2014, 6:34 am

Not a troll. Poor attempt at humour.

I've read many of your post that could be considered trolling.

Head Games

Postby Head Games » May 2nd, 2014, 7:33 am

Thanks for the replies evergone. I hadn't had a chance to come back and read these till 4:18 am lol. I will end up making my profile more real soon. And I'll take a look around at what people are posting about. To give a bit more detail why I am kinda fed up with the cafe is that it is inconsistent. I had been sick and laying in bed (for over a year). So I have been spending my time working with a buddy to study Derren Browns work. What makes him great. What he does in his show and why. Not to reproduce it. But to get an understanding of what his "formula" is for selecting which tricks to do when. Framework, etc etc. So I had posted about his lie detector routine. And didn't know about it or the method. And I had received tons of msgs that were helpful and gave sources. Effects like it. And straight out how it works... then I moved onto another effect done where I already knew the method. Essentially a bank night routine done with two envelopes and stand and a check mark and x. You should know what I'm talking about if you had watched him. But for some reason. This post just started a feeding frenzy of people attacking me and telling me in a new guy just fishing for methods etc etc. I'm no expert. But I have been a member of the castle for over 14 years and had been on that site for 6 of them. But that's a bit irrelevant. The point is consistency. One post was welcomed with open arms and the next. About the same person and essentially the same question was just bombarded.

I got tried of trying to defend myself recently. If you don't like it there way. Think how they think. And follow what they want you to do... then your a criminal lol.

I have my own mind thank you very much.

I'll try and be respectful. But hopefully it isn't as bad here as there.

(This was posted from my cell phone at 4:33am. It might be confusing or hard to read as I can barely see the text)

Thanks again!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 2nd, 2014, 8:24 am

If you want to see some of the best this forum has to offer, read the Erdnase thread.

Start here and go forward. It's only eleven years long. . .

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2014, 11:47 am

I don't think he's a troll. We'll find out eventually anyway. In the meantime, I hope he has a good time here.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 2nd, 2014, 11:48 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't think he's a troll. We'll find out eventually anyway. In the meantime, I hope he has a good time here.

I was just trolling him.

;)

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 2nd, 2014, 11:55 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't think he's a troll. We'll find out eventually anyway. In the meantime, I hope he has a good time here.

Thank you Mr. Kaufman.

I was trying to make a joke at JS's expense as I know he does not deserve sympathy from you.

Head Games

Postby Head Games » May 2nd, 2014, 5:28 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:If you want to see some of the best this forum has to offer, read the Erdnase thread.

Start here and go forward. It's only eleven years long. . .

Will do, Thank!

Return to “General”