Magic Magazine Digital versus Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
magicrobharv

Magic Magazine Digital versus Genii

Postby magicrobharv » April 24th, 2014, 3:04 pm

I just received an email from Magic Magazine that they now have a free digital edition for subscribers. I set up my log in and password. So far the digital edition now available to every subscriber is okay. Anyone else have an opinion on this change to Magic Magazine's available content?

I just went through the latest digital edition of Magic Magazine. Genii's digital edition has more control options (like single page viewing) and remembering the last page you left off at. Overall it is good, but I still give the edge to Genii.

Chris Aguilar

Re: Magic Magazine Digital versus Genii

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 24th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Do they also offer access to a digital archive of their past issues?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 24th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:Do they also offer access to a digital archive of their past issues?

To me, that's the real issue.

I don't care much about the electronic bells and whistles of the current issue (except for the videos, which I feel have added value). I am still one of those oldies who prefer print.

What sold me on iGenii was the ability to search and read 75 years worth of amazing material (although I still think the search function could be improved further and printing could be more convenient).

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2014, 5:33 pm

MAGIC is not offering its entire catalogue of back issues.

But it's nice to see they've copied my business model. :D

The interface of the digital version of Genii will change entirely in about a month. We've been working on this since January. New company, all new way of viewing. You'll be able to view any current issue, plus all back issues on the same screen. And all will be searchable.

The new system will allow us to keep all the audio and video in our issues going back to January 2011 as they are archived and we move forward adding another 12 issues a year into the future.

And we've got a few other surprises coming as well ...
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 24th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Sounds really good Richard. Am I correct in that for the older archive issues, we'll be able to use an upgraded interface from the current Ask Alexander version?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Yes, the back issues will be moving to the new company.

I love Ask Alexander: it's made writing books and doing research for Genii incredibly easy.

I was pleased to be able to accept an award at FISM in Beijing for Bill Kalush for having the vision for, and funding the creation of, Ask Alexander. He spent an enormous amoung of his own money. More people should join.

But the opportunies presented by the new company in being able to incorporate all 76 years of issues (simple pdfs of older back issues, plus the digital versions of the new issues) into one place, on one screen, and for a lower cost, was something we had to take advantage of.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » April 24th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Looks like only 2014 issues are available on line. Maybe that will change in the future.

Also, looks like this does not include the iPad version. You still need to purchase those separately (unless I'm missing something).

Randy

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2014, 8:49 pm

There don't seem to be apps for either tablets or smartphones. Not sure what that means, other than at the moment, you can't download any issues. You must be online to view them.

Also, it appears that they've stopped selling digital only subscriptions.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » April 24th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:There don't seem to be apps for either tablets or smartphones. Not sure what that means, other than at the moment, you can't download any issues. You must be online to view them.

Also, it appears that they've stopped selling digital only subscriptions.

I already have a Magic Magazine app on my iPad. It still works for my purchases.

But I can't find the app in the App Store so maybe they pulled it. Creates a bit of a problem for those that purchased issues and can no longer get them. I guess this will become clear soon. It's only day 1.

Randy

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2014, 9:57 pm

MAGIC has removed its app from the app store.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 24th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Also, it appears that they've stopped selling digital only subscriptions.

I received the hard copy in the mail today. Stan's editorial says "We can offer this free with your print subscription . . . or for as little as $3 per month for those who want a digital-only magazine."

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » April 25th, 2014, 11:10 am

If there's no offline support, it's not so appealing to me. I've been a digital-only subscriber to MAGIC for I guess a couple of years now (since they started offering it, whenever that was) so I too am a little concerned about how I continue to access the back issues I've already paid for, let alone understanding how this new thing works, going forward.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2014, 12:00 pm

I haven't received the new issue of MAGIC, but judging just from the letter that they sent to subscribers which I received, and from the website to which you are taken after signing in, there doesn't appear to be any way to download the issues onto your tablet or smartphone so you can read them while offline.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 25th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Richard,

Will the new mobile app let us download and read an older (perhaps way older, like from the 50's) archived issue offline?

It would be so nice to download an issue or two (offline) from the archive to have something to read on my tablet when there's no wifi around. I'm already spoiled by how nice that functionality is with the current (admittedly buggy) android app.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Chris, No. The older issues can only be viewed online, but they will be in HTML5, not PDF, so can be viewed on Apple devices.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 25th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Chris, No. The older issues can only be viewed online, but they will be in HTML5, not PDF, so can be viewed on Apple devices.

Well, at least the the use of HTML5 will probably make reading the issues smoother when viewing them via wifi (on android or iOS). PDFs can be (and currently are) not optimal for viewing the older archived issues on a tablet.

Hopefully the new app will allow us to more quickly flip through pages of an older issue, rather than the current slow "single pdf by single pdf" method.

The newer issues will still be available offline right?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2014, 3:45 pm

The latest year of issues will always be available offline.
Not everything will be available when we launch, but we'll be posting stuff as quickly as we can.

shatteredorbit

Postby shatteredorbit » April 25th, 2014, 5:11 pm

While there isnt explicit offline support, anything delivered to the browser can be viewed offline. In the case of MAGIC Magazine, its a Shockwave Flash file. You hsould be able to visit the page and depending on the browser, save the page for offline viewing. That will keep the files needed local and you can return to them as needed.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2014, 5:49 pm

That won't work on any Apple products because they don't support Flash, correct?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 25th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Google has done their best to disable Flash in newer Android phones and tablets.

It can be installed via various other methods, but it's really not worth the effort.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on April 25th, 2014, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » April 25th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Well, here is something weird. I have every issue of Genii going back to January, 2011 downloaded onto my iPad 2. I just noticed that the icon for Sep. 2011 is missing, but the icon for August links to the September issue. Prior issues to that maintain the same pattern all the way back to the January, 2011 icon which links to the February issue. I have no access to the actual January issue.

I noticed this while using the iPad offline, unconnected to wifi.

This is not a real problem since I have all the hard copies for the last three years bound into books, but it is weird.

UPDATE: I just reconnected to wifi and all is normal again.

Never mind. :roll:

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 25th, 2014, 8:14 pm

It's starting to work this way for many print magazines. I now get free digital access to both Wired and MAKE magazines with my subscription. The day when magazines stop being printed on paper at all is a little closer.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Jeff, that's not true with Genii. We'll continue to provide both print and digital and people can chose one or both.

shatteredorbit

Postby shatteredorbit » April 26th, 2014, 1:45 am

Apple doesn't support flash, but there are other browsers out there that do. Google chrome on ipad2 renders flash.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 26th, 2014, 5:36 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Jeff, that's not true with Genii. We'll continue to provide both print and digital and people can chose one or both.

...and for that I'm grateful! :D

Dan Smith

Postby Dan Smith » April 26th, 2014, 9:11 pm

shatteredorbit wrote:Apple doesn't support flash, but there are other browsers out there that do. Google chrome on ipad2 renders flash.

Minor technical point -- Chrome on iPad does not support Flash. Flash is not allowed on iOS devices.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 26th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Richard, I figure at some point (Five years? Ten?) it will become impractical to do print magazines, and along with newspapers, it'll all be digital..on some kind of thin-as-paper tablet.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 26th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Hard to define "practical." Paper literature has lasted hundreds of years, while most of our VHS magical info (for example) has no place to go. I recently tried to convert a couple of favorite titles to DVD, but the copy protection prevented me. So it's history whenever my VHS player finally goes. Digital has a very short shelf life. It lasts only as long as a player or an app or whatever is needed to access the info.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2014, 1:46 am

There are already options for print-on-demand magazines, but they're far too expensive at the moment. By the time normal short-run periodical printers stop operating, their place will have been taken by print-on-demand at a lower price. And, if it comes to that, we will offer print-on-demand paper copies.

shatteredorbit

Postby shatteredorbit » April 27th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Dan Smith wrote:
shatteredorbit wrote:Apple doesn't support flash, but there are other browsers out there that do. Google chrome on ipad2 renders flash.

Minor technical point -- Chrome on iPad does not support Flash. Flash is not allowed on iOS devices.

I do not believe this is a correct statement. On my PC, I can download the new Magic magazine as a .swf file. This file is Shockwave Flash. On my ipad, in my Chrome app, I can view the magazine. Do you think that it's delivered a different way for tablets?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2014, 2:24 pm

At the moment, it's not supposed to be deliverable to tablets or smartphones at all.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 27th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Chrome has a built in flash player, which means it's not necessary to have a standalone flash install (which was banned by Apple). There's a chance that Google didn't take the player out of their iOS app as a way to get flash onto the device. Perhaps they couldn't be bothered.

Also, I think there's a subtle difference between Shockwave and Flash. I think Aguilar would know more details on that.

Dan Smith

Postby Dan Smith » April 27th, 2014, 3:29 pm

shatteredorbit wrote:Do you think that it's delivered a different way for tablets?

Yes, that's exactly what is done. Servers often customize the content depending on the browser and supported media.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » April 27th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:At the moment, it's not supposed to be deliverable to tablets or smartphones at all.

I can read it on my iPad in Safari...

Dan Smith

Postby Dan Smith » April 27th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:There's a chance that Google didn't take the player out of their iOS app as a way to get flash onto the device. Perhaps they couldn't be bothered.

Also, I think there's a subtle difference between Shockwave and Flash. I think Aguilar would know more details on that.

You misunderstand the dynamics. Apple doesn't allow Flash ( and other types of developer products) on iOS. Apple would not allow Chrome to be installed if it included Flash. I worked on the Flash mobile team and have first hand knowledge on these matters.

Flash grew out of Shockwave but they are very different products with different uses.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Rick, yes, you can read it online through your browser. The question is can you download it and read it offline.

shatteredorbit

Postby shatteredorbit » April 27th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Dan Smith wrote:
Ian Kendall wrote:There's a chance that Google didn't take the player out of their iOS app as a way to get flash onto the device. Perhaps they couldn't be bothered.

You misunderstand the dynamics. Apple doesn't allow Flash ( and other types of developer products) on iOS. Apple would not allow Chrome to be installed if it included Flash. I worked on the Flash mobile team and have first hand knowledge on these matters.

Flash grew out of Shockwave but they are very different products with different uses.

I will bow out to the expert here, but there are several other browsers out there that can render flash content besides Chrome. Pigeon was one of the first and there are various apps that market themselves JUST for this point. A quick search on google shows that this problem was resolved in 2010.

But, as Richard points out, currently content is delivered via the web and there doesn't seem to be a way to view it without an internet connection, even if you were to save the file locally.

Dan Smith

Postby Dan Smith » April 27th, 2014, 5:19 pm

shatteredorbit wrote:Pigeon was one of the first and there are various apps that market themselves JUST for this point. A quick search on google shows that this problem was resolved in 2010.

To finish off this thread.. why does it look like Flash works on iOS in these browsers?

Some browsers are available on iOS that execute Flash content on a remote server and essentially transmit a movie of the results to your phone. This approach won't work offline, and as a reviewer said of one such product: "Video looks more like a series of still images than a smooth movie."

The iOS apps that play Flash video are just stripping the video stream from the Flash movie -- sometimes the video works and sometimes not. But it's not Flash, and the features you need to build a magazine app are not available.

These solutions were only useful when compelling content was only available in Flash. Those days have passed.
Content providers are now delivering offline secure content using HTML5 on mobile.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » April 27th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Rick, yes, you can read it online through your browser. The question is can you download it and read it offline.

No, cannot download it.. which makes it cloud only.. Wont work well when Im flying somewhere..

These is an app for the 3dimage program they use, but it's not linked to the mag at all

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 27th, 2014, 10:23 pm

I agree with Steve Bryant. Paper is the best technology ever invented.

With music - you have to play it on something. So it makes sense to trade in a record player for a cassette player. And then years later the cassette player for a CD player. And then trade in the CD player for an MP3 player and so on...

But with paper - the hardware and software are already combined in the same product.

Reading a book on a tablet just complicates the process and introduces a step which was not there before. You are separating the hardware from the software - and then recombining them at a later date.

As opposed to buying the material which is already combined (at the hardware/software level) and ready to go.

I think ebooks have their place - but I prefer to see them used for archiving material such that it makes it easier to organise and search.

I think it is useful that it makes it easier for unknowns to get tricks into print - since it meas the occasional gem makes get released which might otherwise be overlooked.

The downside is having to work through the avalanche of crap at the same time. Nevertheless - I think most experienced magicians can filter out the rubbish.

Return to “General”