Reselling piracy

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
mrgoat

Reselling piracy

Postby mrgoat » April 10th, 2014, 6:24 pm

OK, Dustin, since I cannot post about the piracy in the thread selling the piracy, I will start a new thread.

It seems Daniels was illegally selling bootleg DVDs of the shows he performed in at lectures to make some extra money. His split with the BBC was very bad. I imagine he was very annoyed with them. He thought he was worth more money than they offered. They didn't agree. So they cancelled him.

Unarguably they own the rights to the shows and have never released them. Otherwise he would have released them many times over.

Anyway, the point is, this, and other forums are passionately against piracy of magic DVDs.

And now you are allowing someone to sell pirated DVDs?

This is a sad day.

:(

Of course, if the DVDs have BBC Worldwide on them, and the seller of the bootlegs can post a picture showing that I will apologise and eat my hat.

I shan't hold my breath.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Reselling piracy

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 10th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I don't know that I am. You are making, at best, an assumption based on hearsay (unless you were in the room or have other facts supporting your opinion).

All I have is the artist selling his work, and that's a call and a raise in this silly game. If you have absolute proof that Daniels had zero rights to sell them by all means give it to me and I will delete the ad.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 10th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:I don't know that I am. You are making, at best, an assumption based on hearsay (unless you were in the room or have other facts supporting your opinion).

All I have is the artist selling his work, and that's a call and a raise in this silly game. If you have absolute proof that Daniels had zero rights to sell them by all means give it to me and I will delete the ad.

It's not hearsay. The BBC own the rights. IMDB list the BBC as the production company. If Daniels had the rights he would be selling it publicly, in a proper DVD, not a sketchy hand copied DVD he only sold at a few lectures.

I can't think of a single TV magician that owns the rights to their shows. It's not how TV works. Certainly not in the UK.

Just ask the advertiser of the pirated content to post images of the discs in question. If they have BBC Worldwide on them, they are legit. But they won't have. If they are in proper BBC boxes, they will be legit. But they won't be.

Look forward to seeing the ad pulled.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 10th, 2014, 7:26 pm

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this DamiAn. You are not the BBC's lawyer. You do not know whether or not Daniels received permission for this. You are guessing. Is it a good guess? Maybe. That's not good enough. I am dealing right now with a similar situation. We have an email. It's called "an agreement in principle" and that's good enough for the simple, one-off sale that is under consideration. So unless you can tell me with something other than your "that's not how it works" assumption, that is all you have, and I don't give damn about that.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 10th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote: I don't give a damn.

Clearly.

Return to “General”