Magic Shops in London, Paris, and Rome

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
George Olson

Magic Shops in London, Paris, and Rome

Postby George Olson » October 27th, 2013, 6:02 pm

A friend is going to London, Paris, & Rome for 10 days at the end of this week. (10/31)

Would somebody list the names of shop? He owns a small Brick & Morter shop in Lansing, Michigan.

Thank you!

GO

Andrew Pinard

Re: Magic Shops in London, Paris, and Rome

Postby Andrew Pinard » October 27th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Davenports and International Magic in London, Mayette Modern Magic (in the 5th Arrondissement of Paris) and as to shops in Rome, I tried to find one when I was there back in April and met with little success (I know they are there, but was unsuccessful finding one to visit)...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 27th, 2013, 6:54 pm

There were as many as 14 magic shops in Paris not too long ago. George Proust's shop, near Notre Dame on the Rue St. Paul, has a great museum, too.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » October 28th, 2013, 12:49 am

Mayette Modern Magic is, I believe, run by the Duviviers and is worth a visit. Magic Dream is the shop most like a major city U.S. shop -- the latest tricks, Genii magazine, lots of cards. They have a decent-sized selection.

Rome has a very unique little shop called Eclectica that has antique toys, figurines, and a small magic collection, including some books.

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » October 28th, 2013, 1:16 am

Scott M. wrote:
Rome has a very unique little shop called Eclectica that has antique toys, figurines, and a small magic collection, including some books.

Thanks for the name of this place. I'm pretty sure it's a shop I saw on one visit, but they weren't where I remembered on my last visit. I figured they closed, but it looks like they moved.

Also in Rome is Tra Palco e Realtá

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » October 28th, 2013, 4:13 am

For magic shops in Rome, you may want to check this out: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43087&p=290625#p290625
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 28th, 2013, 4:24 am

Rome? Andrea Boccia's Tra Palco e Realita is the place, not far from the Vatican.

Matt Field

Doomo

Postby Doomo » October 28th, 2013, 7:14 am

Mat is correct. That is where the Popes have always purchased their Tenyo stuff.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

stereo

Postby stereo » October 28th, 2013, 8:30 am

Lol Thank you, you made my day.

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » October 30th, 2013, 12:02 am

I went to both International and Davenports on a Tuesday afternoon a couple of weeks ago. Both had that great brick and mortar experience with a good group of people both behind and in front of the counter with good conversations and recommendations of books. They are within reasonable walking distance of each other. In International, if there is a card guy about fifty with long hair, a good conversation starter (stopper) would be to ask him his opinions on the works of the Chief Genii.

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » November 1st, 2013, 12:06 am

Just in case anyone took my last comment as a reasonable way to start a conversation, I would not recommend asking Jerry Sadowitz to opine on Mr. Kaufman (or vice versa). Jerry was surprisingly mellow and helpful when I was in there. Also, if there was time for just one shop, I would recommend International which is a much better shop than it was in the early 90's when I was living in London. Davenport's can be a bit more hit and miss depending on who is working there and seems to have a smaller, less accesible selection.

Return to “General”