Moderators

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
phantommenace

Moderators

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 10:27 am

Hi where do I contact moderators? I have posted a thread that's getting hijacked by trolls.

Brad Henderson

Re: Moderators

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 10:37 am

no, you posted something innacurrate in a thread, and you were corrected by people who know better

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 10:39 am

I will ignore your false assertion. You are instigating and trolling. Can moderator please make themselves known.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 10:48 am

You were given your link to the site you asked for. You got exactly what you wanted in that thread.

You raised the visual learner issue, and got butt hurt when someone who know what 'visual learner' means shut you down.

That's not trolling. that's keeping the forum factual and worthwhile for those who are looking for accurate information.

I'm sorry your thin is so skin. I don't know that the genii forum will be the right place for you. We tend to read words here.

The cafe is probably a perfect place for you. People there love to cry to moderators when confronted over misinformation. Brooks' policy seems to be anyone can say anything as long as an advertiser isn't upset. So you will find a large audience of people who are happy to believe anything you say - even when it's completely wrong and based on nothing.

I'm sure you'll be a VIP there in no time. You have the stuff they are looking for!

Good luck.

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 11:15 am

Hijacking someone's thread and going off topic with long rants is called trolling. Then forcing your views on others and using snarky posts, labelling strangers as lazy etc is trolling.
Once again I hope the moderators step in. This is a forum about magic not for rants about educational theories of range merits of DVD vs books, had I wanted that debate I would have started or joined a thread about that subject.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 11:20 am

no one was having that debate.

you used an educational term.

you used it incorrectly

you were corrected

you won't let it go.

(also, you might want to look up 'troll' too)

On the genii forum threads spin in many directions. It is encouraged and often produces the most interesting discussions.

my comments were directly related to your comments.

Your comments were factually incorrect.

You were corrected and, if you actually read what was written, are now better and more accurately informed than you were just this morning. .

Just say 'thank you' and move on.

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 11:50 am

I told you right at the start of my thread that I choose to use DVDs and that's my choice. I have no interest in theories about books vs dvd, people make their choices of learning materials and find what suits them best. For me I prefer dvd, you have followed me into this thread and started again your dogged pursuit of trying to push your views onto me. I asked you to stop trolling a long time ago. When moderator makes contact I can point them towards the thread where I had snarky comments and insults thrown my way when the info I asked for on the thread got answered a long time ago.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 19th, 2013, 12:01 pm

phantommenace wrote:Hijacking someone's thread

I believe all threads on this board belong to Genii and Richard Kaufman. He graciously lets us use them.

If this is hard to understand, Brad and I will make a youtube video to explain it visually.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
phantommenace wrote:Hijacking someone's thread

I believe all threads on this board belong to Genii and Richard Kaufman. He graciously lets us use them.

If this is hard to understand, Brad and I will make a youtube video to explain it visually.

Ohhh! Nice. ;)

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 19th, 2013, 12:29 pm

My name is Dustin Stinett and I am one of the moderators of this site. I have read--from the beginning--the two threads (before this one) that you started.

I will agree that your thread about the Magic Café changed direction, but that is quite common--I have often done that myself, sometimes on purpose and sometime by accident--and it is not always seen as a problem here. It shouldn't be an issue for you since you followed the change in direction willingly even after saying "please stay on topic."

As for the "snark," well, I have seen and received far worse without deleting it, so I will not be using my time to delete anything for you. If you don't like what was written, ignore it. The thread will drop off the "active" list and fade away into history. That's your call. If you keep taking the bait and posting, it will just continue to eat at you.

The same can be said about this thread.

Frankly, the most egregious thing I've seen in any of these threads is Brad's typo. And I'm not going in just to edit that for him; and I like Brad.

Dustin

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 19th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Phantom – Dustin is a video reviewer for Genii magazine, and secretly he agrees with you. It galls him to no end to have to publicly play neutral on the subject.

A little-known story from the Genii Bash of last year. Dustin and John Lovick, a book reviewer for Genii, got into over the whole "DVDs vs books" thing. Dustin got some tin snips and started cutting DVDs into ninja stars, and Lovick found out and got a copy of Greater Magic from the dealer room and taped it to a stick for a club. They were just about to whale the tar out of each other when Joe Turner, the trick reviewer, stepped in and said "Can't we all just get along?"

Dustin and John put aside their differences, and mutually decided to kill Turner. Fortunately, John Gaughan was able to save Turner's body. He stuffed and mounted it (in that order) and filled him with leftover parts from the Turk automata. Now, if you see Joe, he is just a clever simulacra who can beat you at chess and do the Hooker rising cards. But don't ask him which he likes better, DVDs or books. It makes his gears seize up and he'll have to be shipped out to Gaughan in California for a reboot.

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 3:30 pm

To the moderator you didn't see when my thread was hijacked and insults thrown my way that continue to do so on that thread. You think that's a way for adults all interested in the same subject to behave? I expected a lot more from this forum. I asked a legitimate question on that thread and it got hijacked by trolls. My other thread has been fine and there has been civil and useful discussion. My thread went from a a legitimate query to a mud slinging contest where I was labelled lazy among other things for liking DVDs. You think that's normal behaviour on this forum?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 19th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Methinks a menace is about to be vaporised into a phantom.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 3:39 pm

No, you were not labeled lazy for liking DVDs. You were called lazy for trotting out the old excuse that you are a "visual learner" as the reason you don't like learning from books. I should know, I'm the one who said it. And I stand by it.

I like DVDs. It just has nothing to do with being a "visual learner."

We all learn better visually.

Plus, it was completely on topic; that of joining magic forums. I simply pointed out that you may encounter difficulties on this forum with that attitude and you'd probably feel more at home at the magic cafe with those of a like mind... guess what, turned out I was right!

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Do you have an obsessive disorder? You are acting very erratic and obsessive. I find out things for myself and don't listen to hearsay but I'm beginning to see why magicians have warned me about certain aspects of this forum. You have spent more time obsessing over something irrelevant to my thread than actually contributing anything useful. If this forum doesn't want new people to Join then they are making a good attempt at making new people unwelcome.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 19th, 2013, 3:55 pm

I give PM's "press here to register (pain)" thread and discussion an 8 out of 10 on the Mar* *ewis scale of trawling. The specious reasoning and stilted writing is just not up to par.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 4:11 pm

phantommenace wrote:... If this forum doesn't want new people to Join then they are making a good attempt at making new people unwelcome.

Not new people in general, just people like you.

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Fred you have been the instigator from the outset, I stand up to bullies. Deal with it.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 4:14 pm

phantommenace wrote:Fred you have been the instigator from the outset, I stand up to bullies. Deal with it.

Re-read my posts, I've "dealt with it" rather well, even if I do say so myself.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » October 19th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Phantom Menace,

Lighten up. It's a magic forum. You under-used a term one of the denizens here is very familiar with.

You prefer learning from DVDs to using books. Nobody really cares, not even a little bit. It's a choice. I suspect people of my age, (really old), who started in magic, started when there were no video sources. Our learning paths are set. I've bought videos and really enjoy seeing a piece I'm trying to learn, performed. The bits and pieces that it takes to physically reproduce another's magic is not very hard to pick up. Nuances of performance, timing and phrasing are best learned by seeing the effect performed.

Trouble is, when I tried learning from a DVD I tended to horrifically mimic the performer. I became a tawdry, shell of the performer. By percolating a new trick through my own mind, I tended to put a little bit more of myself into a new effect. At this point in my non-career, I don't use DVDs at all. The only ones I buy are put out by someone I know is an expert. That list is pretty darned short. (not that there's a shortage of experts, I just don't know that many)

Consider looking at some highly regarded books. You may find you can augment your ability to learn more quickly rather than putting yourself in an imaginary box of being a visual learner. Brad educated me about the meaning and source of the term. I still think the term is a load of crap. Who makes these assessments? Some nut-job with degree in psychology? Of what value would the tag hanging on you be to yourself.

I make my living teaching people stuff. I know that analogies work best for some, examples for others and completely off-the-wall jokes for weirdos like me. I don't believe knowing, who in a classroom is a visual learner and who isn't would help a teacher. Knowing that one explanation won't work for everyone is important. Most, if not all magic videos I've seen are embarrassingly bad at teaching anything of value about how to perform. Few books do even a passable job, but having to take enough time to write complete sentences vice putting up some lights and hitting the record button, ensures a baseline of comprehension by the author.

Yes your initial thread was derailed. Dustin's a good guy. If you were in mortal danger, he'd have stepped in. Ask some better questions. Don't label yourself with terms you don't fully understand.

There are some brilliant magicians that frequent this place. You've fallen into fast company. Man up and stick around, you might read something you find of value.

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Ken perhaps you are trying to mediate and I appreciate that but peppering it with "man up" and telling me what I do and don't understand won't help!

I was polite with the instigators at first but then they just got abusive and arrogant and that doesn't sit well with me. I even asked them numerous times to stop derailing thread. I also told them they are welcome to their views on learning as am I. I don't push my views on people and don't expect theirs pushed on me.
I agree it's a magic forum but those instigators despised to try turn it into something else. I got jumped in for not laying down for bullies and no one told them to back off with their ridiculous crusade about DVD vs books.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 4:30 pm

phantommenace wrote: I got jumped in for not laying down for bullies and no one told them to back off with their ridiculous crusade about DVD vs books.

I for one did not mention a single word about the DVDs vs books debate. I said it was lazy to label yourself a "visual learner" as an excuse for having difficulties learning from books. I repeat, I like DVDs too.

Further, since your thread was specifically regarding the joining of magic forums, I suggested that you may run into difficulties here if you continue with that particular attitude and you may feel more at home at the magic cafe where they seem to share your attitude.

Subsequent events seem to have proven my sentiment rather reasonable, don't you think?

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Fred this is beyond dull. I stated from outset that I am someone who prefers dvd to learn from. Deal with it. It's my decision. I read books on other subjects and have learnt a lot but for magic I prefer dvd. End of discussion. It's personal choice as I've stated from the OUTSET.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 4:44 pm

phantommenace wrote:Fred this is beyond dull. I stated from outset that I am someone who prefers dvd to learn from. Deal with it. It's my decision. I read books on other subjects and have learnt a lot but for magic I prefer dvd. End of discussion. It's personal choice as I've stated from the OUTSET.

And yet you keep responding. So will I, for as long as you misrepresent what I said.

I couldn't give two craps what you prefer. That is not the point. I said it is lazy to justify that preference with the phrase "I'm a visual learner."

i believe this kind of thinking harms magic. I care about magic. When I see it, I reply.

Deal with it.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 19th, 2013, 4:45 pm

PM, you may be a great magician. From your original question, though, it would appear you are more of a beginner. Fine, we all start somewhere.

Brad Henderson and Kent Gunn are not beginners. They've both got experience in the real world, and have both taken time to tell you things that if you approached with an open mind, you might find very useful. I also know for a fact that Brad has more magic teaching experience than most everyone on the forum. But your mind is completely closed to what they have to say.

You want them to treat you as peers. But your aren't their peer -- they are much farther along the magic path than you are. "Man up" wasn't an insult -- it was good advice to accept the fact that you may be wrong. The First Rule of Holes may apply here ("When you are in a hole, stop digging.")

Here's another thing. Brad and Kent both stand behind their posts. You know who is making the posts, because they both use their real names. You are anonymous. It doesn't make any of us think you know what you are talking about. And your original complaint about the Cafe and Magictalk was that you can't join them with free email accounts. You want to be anonymous there, I suppose, instead of using an account with some level of identity behind it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 19th, 2013, 7:29 pm

phantommenace: do you see the most obvious thing about this thread and the people in it? We are all using our real names because we have nothing to hide and we say what we think.

Collectively, we have been in magic over 300 years.

If you have a genuine learning disability, say it. If you just can't be bothered to read books, well that's your problem not ours.

The Genii has spoken.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

lybrary

Postby lybrary » October 20th, 2013, 9:26 am

phantommenace wrote:... End of discussion. ...

I always love that statement on a discussion forum.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » October 20th, 2013, 10:23 am

Indigent, (okay that was on purpose)

You really think the denizens of this board aren't good magicians? Pore over the membership list.

Authors, creators and top-flight performers abound.

John Carney, John Lovick, Bob Farmer, Max Maven and Richard Kaufman, spring to my mind as denizens herein. If you don't recognize those names or for an instant think they're not worthy of your respect, you're either ignorant or delusional.

My only regret in this thread is that I told Phantom Menace to man-up. I should've put a vituperative invective between those two words.

Your using the quote "elite sea of mediocrity" was a dead give-away. I expect more stealth dammit.

Man-up. (insert your own invective)

As always, with love abounding,

KG

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Ugh, the first thing I see after a 20 hour trip back from Japan is Mark Lewis on the Forum. Be gone bastard!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » October 21st, 2013, 11:45 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Ugh, the first thing I see after a 20 hour trip back from Japan is [censored] on the Forum. Be gone bastard!

Thank you!

Return to “General”