Magicol 185!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Magicana

Magicol 185!

Postby Magicana » October 2nd, 2013, 5:05 pm

Finally!

We heard some of our subscribers already received issue 185 -- have you received yours?

The contents, as we have tipped, are all things Castle. The issue celebrates the Castle’s 50th anniversary, with a focus on its history and collectibles.

Dustin Stinett starts us off with a walking tour of the Castle both as it was, and as it is today. He also provides personal insight from the Larsens as to how, exactly, the Castle was put together – literally, piece by piece. Then, Mike Caveney gives us a peek at the coverings that adorn the Castle. From rare Horace Goldin posters used to cover the loo walls ( it was cheaper than wallpaper – at the time), to the beautiful Friedlander one-sheet of LeRoy Talma Bosco one-sheet – “The Devil Gets the Worst of It” – that keeps guests company in the dining room. (It’s a sublime treat, so much so that we have these wonderful images in color!)

Read more at http://magicol.magicana.com/finally/.

Bill McFadden

Re: Magicol 185!

Postby Bill McFadden » October 4th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Mine arrived today. Thanks and congratulations to all the beautiful people who contributed, collaborated and published. Tremendous historical resource in a concise package (and oh what a package!) as always.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » October 4th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Received in NH today. A beautiful issue - thanks to everyone involved!

JimAlfredson

Postby JimAlfredson » October 4th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Just wanted to join the line of fans praising MAGICOL No. 185. A judicious selection of contributors resulted in a series of articles with a different skew than those appearing in the other periodicals, and most enjoyable they were. Old time subscribers are no strangers to occasional tardiness. Grand job David.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 4th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words for my meager contribution. I can't wait to read the whole issue! David Ben, Julie Eng, Gabe Fajuri, and Michael Albright are doing a stupendous job on the magazine.

Diego

Postby Diego » October 4th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Receiving mine today. Great issue!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 5th, 2013, 1:07 pm

I found an "oops" on one of the photos used in my piece. The room the Mr. Mysto is performing in is the Parlour of Prestidigitation and not the Palace as it reads.

The issue is fantastic! I particulary enjoy Caveney's gentle reminders to the powers that be that restoration of some of our posters is in order.

Bill Goodwin does a fine job of showing off just a few treasures found in the "locked room" of the Library.

I especially enjoyed Lisa Cousin's pithy remarks about some of the collectables from days past (and not so past). I'm lucky to have several of the ones she mentions, and her article makes me think of the many others I have. And I do cherish them for precisely the reason she mentions.

And Andrew Pinard just made me regret the fact that I had to turn down Ray Goulet's kind invitation to the Yankee Gathering [sigh]. I wish I'd been there.

And all the silhouettes of the Professor were very cool! I know of one youong man who will drool all over my copy of the magazine when he sees it at the next meeting of the SoCal Sodality.

Well done all around!

Thanks to you all for a great issue that--in the words of Bill Larsen, Jr.--was worth its wait in gold!

Dustin

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 5th, 2013, 3:29 pm

I forgot to mention that gently faded Kodakcolor snapshot of Vernon. I don't recall ever seeing it until now.

Return to “General”