Mickey O'Malley tickles

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Nick Maggio

Mickey O'Malley tickles

Postby Nick Maggio » November 26th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Mickey O'Malley's artwork on the cover and inside of the Nov-Dec Genii "tickles my innards." There is so much beauty and devilish nuance in his Bunny, Santa and Genie, I had to point it out.

Thanks

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Mickey O'Malley tickles

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2012, 8:39 pm

I love O'Malley's work, which is inextricably linked with the issues of Genii of my youth. And that's why I included it in our 75th anniversary issue. I hope to include more in future issues ... just have to figure out an appropriate way to do it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 26th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Mr. O'Malley's stuff is the bomb! Wish there was a collection of his drawings.
Last edited by erdnasephile on August 21st, 2014, 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimAlfredson

Postby JimAlfredson » November 27th, 2012, 11:10 am

Not only was Micky O'Malley's work great, but knowing him from his Detroit boyhood days [as Micky Ostaski (sp?)] he was a great guy, too!

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » November 27th, 2012, 11:29 am

His son, Michael Ostaski, is an artist as well. He used to live in Santa Barbara and was doing artistic construction projects like custom hot tubs, remodels etc. Then he got into painting with airbrush and now he is doing performance painting:

artexplosion.us/

gloria

Postby gloria » August 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm

I am sister to Mickey O'Malley (Ostaski) and it was a hoot to see him remembered. My name is Gloria (nee Ostaski) and I am a visual artist living in Albuquerque NM. Mickey's son, Michael Ostaski, is also a visual artist and lives in Tijeras NM. Mickey's daughter, Anner McGarvey, lives in New Jersey and also is an artist.
Our mother, Mae Ostaski, with whom I lived during the last 10 years of her life passed away in 2008 at the age of 107.
We all used to hang at the Magic Castle in the late 60s, early 70s and had lots of fun. Mickey used to be staff artist at GENII, the Conjuror's Magazine, and he did all this via typewriter and pasteup well before computers.
When Mickey died in June 1980, the Castle held a "wake" for him and that was a momentous event. I drank too much champagne, a fitting send off for my brother.

Return to “General”