Wanted: Tailor/seamstress

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Carl Mercurio

Wanted: Tailor/seamstress

Postby Carl Mercurio » December 4th, 2002, 8:22 pm

Who is the best magic tailor or seamstress out there. I need some intricate work done on a jacket.

Steve V

Re: Wanted: Tailor/seamstress

Postby Steve V » December 5th, 2002, 7:33 am

I don't know about the best but Jim Sisti's bride is a seamstress and, I believe, is in one of those lil' Eastern states.
Steve V
Steve V

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » December 5th, 2002, 7:35 am

The website address for Sandra Sisti is:

http://www.seamslikemagic.net

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » December 5th, 2002, 8:45 am

Thank you...!!!

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2002, 12:35 am

Lynetta Welch is an excellent seamstress as well as a tailor. She makes full custom costumes, suits and jackets, breakaways, and fast change costumes.

She has worked as a magician and magician's assistant (Blackstone, Jr., Pendragons), as well as an illusion builder. She built the first Twister for her then husband Ed Alonzo.

She makes dove pockets, toppits, egg bags and other products for Lance Burton, Johnny Thompson and other pros.

If you need a real tailor, she is the best. Her website is not currentlty up, but you can still reach her at Lynetta@Lynetta.com or phone 702-242-6558.

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » December 6th, 2002, 5:17 am

I'm sure that Ms. Welch does good work on many things but I cannot recommend her work on flash costume changes. My wife purchased such a costume for a price of around $1000 and it never worked properly nor did even look right. Maria looked like she had gained 40 pounds and the change never went off properly. Ms. Welch would not even consider a partial refund.

If anyone would like to buy this $1000 wonder for $50 you can have it.

I ended up coming up with a design which works very well. Maria made her own dress and later had a local seamstress make another. If you have seen her act, you've seen one of these dresses in action. The change is completly unexpected and looks awesome.

I'm sure Ms. Welch does good work in many areas since she is recommeded by so many pros like Whit. I hope she has come up with a good costume change design by now. I just felt compelled to post my personal experience.

Mike

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » December 7th, 2002, 10:44 am

I agree with Whit. Lynetta does a great job. She made my dove tuxedo to exact specifications and it is perfect. She, also, installed topits in 2 of my sport coats and the fabric matched perfectly.
Mike, did you let her know about your displeasure with her work?

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2002, 11:29 am

Mike:

That seems so odd. I know so many professionals who have used Lynetta's tailoring and costume changes and been extremely pleased. $1000 dollars for a costume change outfit seems very reasonable, even low. Was this costume one of her original designs or custom?

Sometimes with a custom design, the original idea or design can be flawed.

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » December 7th, 2002, 4:50 pm

Hi Whit,

We would have been glad to pay $1000 for a costume that worked properly and looked good. Ms. Welch's ad had a "satisfaction guaranteed" statement. We are not satisfied.

I called Stan to let him know that we were not satisfied and he spent time on the phone trying to mediate. I am totally happy with how Stan tried to resolve the situation. Unfortunatly it was never resolved to our satisfaction.

I did not require a full refund. We felt that a 50% refund would be fair. We got nothing but an unusable dress.

I know that Ms. Welsh generally does excellent work and has many satisfied clients. I'm not one of them.

Mike

Doomo

Postby Doomo » December 7th, 2002, 6:18 pm

Originally posted by Whit Haydn:
I called Lynetta Welch to ask about this situation, and this is what she had to say:

"This incident happened about 6 years ago and I offered to work with them until they were happy with the final product, but they declined my offer.

I asked what they wanted and Mike Powers started yelling obscenities at me and told me that if I was the pro I should just know what they want.
WOW! Mike! I had no idea you had such a fierce temper!

I mean I have seen ppl rip you off for money, effects, bar tabs (sorry about that last one!) and you always just went, " It will sort itself out."

If I had known it takes a dress to really set you off, I would have gotten you that gift certificate to Magic Christian Dior long ago.

Doomo
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » December 8th, 2002, 5:40 am

Carl, I have always had good luck with the local tailor. The work I had done was simple stuff like Tail-dumps. Just saying your a magician really opens up many doors. That tailor will go the extra 20 yards because it isn't the average seam up, seam down BS of everyday life. Jeff McBride lectures that if you can do a small trick to regular clerks, it really makes their day. It may be the best thing that has happened to them all day, and they may go the extra yardage...
---I am working with this machinist now, I just found him in the yellow pages. He is great, really enjoys working things out with me. I believe it to be; because his day isn't welding the local onion farmer's broken tracktor. They really aren't let into any secrets, but it's also like a breath of fresh air. And, if you are not liking the product, you won't have to respond via mail.

Return to “General”